Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:49 pm

Poll: Regarding the completion of my Quick-Ref. Guide:
This poll is closed.
I'd be somewhat interested in reading a version posted online.
94.12%
16 94.12%
Doesn't interest me.
5.88%
1 5.88%
Roll your little guide up real tight and shove it up your ass!
0%
0 0%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This Is Why You Suck
This Is Why You Suck
Alright so this is a thread exclusively for the atheists and of course my fellow deist, Paladin. I can't enforce this, but I'd love for the theists just to leave this one alone and go play with jesus' noodle for awhile. I don't want to hear your fucking bull shit. Here's why ...

I do NOT want to start a debate in here and unfortunately, this thread will probably inspire the brothers-in-christ to jump in and start shit. We've got plenty of other threads full of your stupidity and I'd appreciate it, if you left this one alone. I have just recently started collecting my favorite arguments against christianity and I am compiling them right now to later put together a more comprehensive collection in a quick-reference guide to destroying fundy stupidity. So you can see, I don't want to get bogged down in some debate, when we could easily create dozens of them with every post.

So my atheist friends, this is what I want to know of you: What, TOO YOU, is the most compelling / offensive / insulting / contradictory / barbaric thing about Christianity that keeps you from ever subscribing to the stupidity of that religion. It doesn't necessarily have to be straight from the Bible, although I assume that most of them will be. There's no rule on this ... I'm looking for the thing that bugs you the most and it would be awesome if you could offer up some logical reason/evidence for why it is such idiocy. (obviously many things require no evidence, they're just ridiculous)

I think many of you are excellent students of religion and history and I would love to get your input down in this little research paper of mine.

An Example:
The continued claim that god is just despite all evidence to the contrary. God creates man, gives him sin and a mortal body and then proceeds to torture him for all eternity for simply not telepathically accepting him as his master. Not just, not love. Really pisses me off.

Anyway, I truly hope many of you will give me at least one thing, but definitely feel free to post as much as you like. Min, Paladin -- I know for sure you two got to have your favorite arguments stored away.

Thank you all for helping me out. I'll be happy to publish the paper when it is complete. So have at it. What is it that keeps you from ever bending over for jesus?

[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: This Is Why You Suck
The preposterous notion that a god, who presumably gave man the ability to THINK would prefer that you simply believe all sorts of foolish shit on faith as opposed to using reason.

That basic contradiction - and the blind stupidity it generates in believers - is the single biggest problem I have with it.
How about the absurd argument that without the bible there would be no morality.

More simply put: Morality comes from god.

It's the indoctrination thing that gets me.

the idea that we should enter our children into some kind of binding contract with something that they can neither comprehend or understand.

but there are so many more things. the argument that you can't have morality without god, the way the bible is used to back up the idea of persecuting other human beings, and the overall idea that human beings have to bow down and worship god without there being a recipricated agreement that he actually do something to earn it.
Quote:Frankly, I wish that the fruits of my work useful and glorious appearing of the world that the fruits of my labor awaken the mind and unlock the feeling of those who are deprived of light.
Ridiculous to say, outside the sky was nothing.
There is not one world, one earth, one sun, but as many worlds as we see bright sparks on us.

Giordano Bruno
off to a great start. Keep 'em coming. Great
[Image: Evolution.png]

For me it has to be that I recognise it for the mythology it is. I can't get excited about some magic fairy in the sky nor pretend any of it is real; any more than anyone, including theists, believes that the Egyptian sky goddess Nut was real. Since childhood, I've had a passion for astronomy, inspired by my Dad and fuelled by science fiction, and whenever I look up at the night sky I see the Universe - not the Heavens. Reality is far more exciting, and far bigger, than anything in a dusty book of fairy tales.

I'm also well aware of religion's place in history, as a weapon against the working classes. To a credulous mind in an atmosphere of superstition, the threat of post mortem torture for 'sinful' behaviour (such as even thinking about the obscene wealth of the church) is a very potent one. It's been the tool of choice for kings and emperors to keep the starving masses from rising up and overthrowing the vastly outnumbered ruling classes. That it still exists today, that people willingly, even happily, enchain themselves in stultifying superstition and then throw away the key... it's too pathetic for words.

That, in the the nuttest of shells, is a large part of why I can't buy into any religion.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 7, 2011 at 1:43 am)Stimbo Wrote: For me it has to be that I recognise it for the mythology it is. I can't get excited about some magic fairy in the sky nor pretend any of it is real; any more than anyone, including theists, believes that the Egyptian sky goddess Nut was real. Since childhood, I've had a passion for astronomy, inspired by my Dad and fuelled by science fiction, and whenever I look up at the night sky I see the Universe - not the Heavens. Reality is far more exciting, and far bigger, than anything in a dusty book of fairy tales.

Ah yes... the my god is the true god because, because, because, because, becaaauuusssee.... because of the wonderful things he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Mfbspa9N4

There's as much evidence for Nut, as there is for yahweh. At least The Great and Powerful Oz is an old bumbling fart behind a curtain with enough humility to come the fuck out and admit he was playing them... and at least he tried to make up for it.

I thought there was nothing in the wizard's little bag for me... and I was right.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Whatever it was you needed, I bet you already had it in ya..

I'm tired and I want to keep this short, there's a lot more I could say on the subject, I'll save it for later.

Number one has to be that an omni-* deity would create an imperfect creation armed with curiosity, free will and reason, and then punish them (as far as global genocide, no less) for having the gall to actually use the aforementioned tools they were given, and for failing to kiss his holy ass. And to top it off - doing all of this, knowing (or at least having the ability to know) that it would turn out this way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suck it, Your an Athiest. Goosebump 5 920 February 19, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Christian- 90% of us suck dennyg 63 9685 February 23, 2015 at 9:51 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3554 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  WHY WHY WHY??!?!? JUST STOP...... Xyster 18 5131 March 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Zenith