Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:22 pm

Poll: Are Catholics Christians?
This poll is closed.
Yes
80.00%
12 80.00%
No
6.67%
1 6.67%
Don't Know
0%
0 0%
Who Gives A Fuck?
13.33%
2 13.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
On Catholicism!
On Catholicism!
Simple enough question because I'm sick and tired of theists claiming they aren't ...

... are Catholics Christians?

Vote now please.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: On Catholicism!
& what will a poll here prove?
"Christianity may be broadly represented as being divided into five main groupings: Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Oriental Orthodoxy, Protestantism and Restorationism."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity
Wiki citation for this claim: http://www.nvcc.edu/home/lshulman/Rel232...vision.htm

Catholicism is listed as a subdivision of christianity on BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/

And on religioustolerance
http://www.religioustolerance.org/christ.htm

And on christianity.about
http://christianity.about.com/od/denomin...rofile.htm

I'm beginning to see a sort of consensus developping here.
@kyu;

I didn't vote as you didn't have category for "who gives a fuck?"

Me? Oh, ex-Catholic.Cool Shades
of course it is. What say that it isn't?
Oh dear Sad

The Catholic Church is accepted by the wider Christian Church as being Christian. I agree with this. It is also understood by the wider Christian Church that most Catholics aren't actually Christians, that not being a requirement of membership.

Catholicism deviates from Christian teaching in many key areas. Some of those being...

Vicars intercede for God - direct contradiction and one thing Jesus tried to abolish. He famously lost his temper
The Pope isn't a descendant of Peter,and has no authority over the whole church
The Pope isn't what the church is built on. Jesus is - a simple mistranslation
The Pope's words aren't infallible - by a long stretch!
Mary is not God, and cannot be prayed to, along with the rest of the saints - see #1
Mary is a sinner just like other people, she isn't sinless
Catholics do not believe in complete salvation through Christ. Contradicting Christ's words in the Bible
Priests can't make Christians by sprinkling water on people. Only the Holy Spirit can change people according to the Bible
Baptism is a symbolic rite. It is nothing magical
Catholics add books to the Bible
Bread and wine isn't actually the flesh and blood of Jesus. It's a symbol at best.
The whole church is Christs body, the Catholic church says it's only them
There's no such thing as purgatory
RC doctrine contradicts the Bible
Jesus saves by his blood. Catholicism by fire in pergatory
Idolatry is anti Christian - Catholicism removes one of the ten commandments
Christianity states that the Bible is the only source of truth. Catholicism adds tradition and it's own rulings

---

So, if you're attributing any of the above misconceptions to Christianity then you're wrong. Which is what Kyu attempts to do. Ktu's understanding of Christianity isn't strictly Christianity, but Catholicisms own version which isn't accepted as Christian by the wider Christian Church. That's a fact.
Isn't it a personal view that it isn't christianity? It's more of an opinion that fact. The fact is that it is a form of christianity and one of the oldest, perhaps the oldest. Don't really know if the ortodox church is older.

Anyway if that isn't christianity then protestanism, atleast the swedish church, isn't christianity at all. They don't really believe in the bible or miracles. As one priest that I have contacted on several occations to see how christians here in sweden think. He said that christainity and religion is about love and the mysteries of life. Sounds bullshit to me but that what he described religion and christianity to me.
I put yes because....

Duh! they follow Jesus and believe in Jesus! And they follow the bible and particularly the New Testament - hell if that doesn't mean you're Christian then what the hell does?

Unless someone's going to be invoking the NTS fallacy or something :p

I mean they're not exactly NON-Christian are they? They don't exactly dislike Jesus and go against his teachings......um.. theyyy'rre pretty big on Jesus.

EvF
Well spoken EVS, agree with you totally.

Just as a side note, why not make a thread about whether or not FC Barcelona is a football team ? Tongue
No - Catholics can go against Christ's teaching - see above.
No - it isn't a personal opinion, see above.

An FC Barcelona question would make more sense, I agree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to 100% remove myself from Catholicism FormerCatholic 32 2404 September 8, 2022 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Catholicism would actually be the most likely controlled Christianity Rolandson 10 1979 January 1, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Redoubtable
  Catholicism: One step forward, Two steps back Faith No More 23 3698 May 7, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Traditional Catholicism: Suscipe Domine Metis 12 5965 February 17, 2015 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Catholicism: "Our Teachings have never changed" claim Vox 21 4818 June 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Strongbad
  Why would someone convert to Catholicism? Pope Leo Decrapio 17 5141 January 23, 2014 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Drich
  "Evidence" for Catholicism. Mystic 3 2728 March 24, 2013 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Under the Rules of Catholicism, the Vast Majority of People Are Going to Hell Blackrook 80 35623 September 26, 2012 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Catholicism and it cringeing deference to the pope Captain Scarlet 2 1755 September 9, 2010 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus
  On Catholicism Kyuuketsuki 18 8697 May 21, 2009 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: fr0d0