Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arguments against Deism and for religion.
Arguments against Deism and for religion.
Suppose God exists, and we know he does. Is then there arguments for religion?

I don't believe in any of these arguments but I'll put them across and see how people can argue against them. I have arguments against each of them, but those arguments are similar to arguments against the problem of suffering, they may convince some people but will not convince others. So they make for strong arguments against deism, just as the problem of suffering is a strong argument against God in general, even though there is counter arguments and theodicy. These arguments are not conclusive but are plausible arguments against Deism.

Argument from caring:

If God exists, he would care about humans.
If he cares about humans, he would send them guidance.
God exists and cares about humans.
Therefore he has sent them guidance.

I also watched a Muslim scholar (Bilal Philips) and he talked about need of Creator organizing just like a Boss organizes his employees and doesn't leave them without organization. So I made an argument on that.

Argument from organization:

Society needs organization.
The best organization would come from God.
God exists and wishes the best organization for society.
Therefore he has provided the best organization for society.
Therefore there exists a religion with the best organization for society.

The true religion on this basis would be that provides the best organization for society.

Argument from morality:

Humans differ about moral issues, and can go wrong on many issues.
God would wants us to have way to be right on most moral issues.
The best way to insure we have a way to be right on most moral issues is to provide guidance.
God would provide guidance to insure we have a way to be right on most moral issues.
God exists and therefore has sent guidance on most moral issues.

Argument from want of communication.

God has created humans with a desire to want to hear from the Creator.
Human desiring to hear from the Creator has a purpose just like other human desires.
The only possible purpose for that desire is so that they find communication from the Creator.
God exists and therefore has communicated to humans.
There exists a communication to humans.

RE: Arguments against Deism and for religion.
Argument from caring: Or maybe he wouldn't, doesn't, and hasn't respectively.

Argument from organization: There is no such religion.

Argument from morality: Maybe god doesn't give a shit if we get moral issues right or wrong? Where does gods moral authority come from in the first place?

Argument from want of communication: I have no such desire and no god has made any attempt at communication whatsoever.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If god exists, he would care about humans? Says who?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Can I just say at this point that this is rather an odd choice of topic for a person claiming to be a deist?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 9, 2011 at 12:49 am)Stimbo Wrote: Can I just say at this point that this is rather an odd choice of topic for a person claiming to be a deist?

Why is it odd?
Well, unless you're attempting some kind of role-switching thought experiment, I'm wondering why a deist would want to argue a case against deism. It's sort of like a vegan setting out the case for eating meat, or a defence attorney speaking on behalf of the prosecution. Please, enlighten me.

[EDIT]: Actually, ignore me. I haven't slept for a couple of days and I obviously read your original post as something different to what you actually wrote. Sorry about that. It's a good sign that I should log out of here for a good many hours.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 9, 2011 at 1:05 am)Stimbo Wrote: Well, unless you're attempting some kind of role-switching thought experiment, I'm wondering why a deist would want to argue a case against deism. It's sort of like a vegan setting out the case for eating meat, or a defence attorney speaking on behalf of the prosecution. Please, enlighten me.

Well I think an evolutionist should try find arguments against evolution, a creationist should try to find arguments against creationism, a theist should try to find arguments against God, and a Deist should try to find arguments against Deism. If you shut your view to all opposing evidence and don't learn to argue against your case, you are giving in to confirmation bias. If you do that, every time you hear a debate, the side you want to be true will always seem to have a stronger case, even if it doesn't. You will often shut off rational arguments, and just belief your view is most rational and that views against it are irrational.
I would agree for the most part, however please see my previous post in which I took back my unwarranted remarks and which I re-edited so as not to mess up your reply.
evolutionists DO try to find arguments against evolution. Science is not trying to prove your hypothesis true, it's trying to prove it wrong. There is no evidence against evolution.

(November 9, 2011 at 1:22 am)aleialoura Wrote: evolutionists DO try to find arguments against evolution.

I didn't say they don't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10503 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16144 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens against Catholicism Edwardo Piet 2 1115 May 14, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 21734 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8485 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 15683 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9458 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Is Deism a "cop out"? Aegon 42 6287 October 30, 2016 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Q about arguments for God's existence. Mudhammam 579 146126 October 25, 2016 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10598 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue