Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Hitch
To Hitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyjc4tIJK4Q

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHitchAppreciation

In recognition of all he has done for many atheists around the world, cheers (though not black label in my case).
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: To Hitch
Well you did nothing for me, Hitch ... so no thanks!
Thanks, Hitch.

Thanks Hitch.

For you Rayaan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j04osq6QWX8
I so hope I am not saying

THANKS HITCH!

as a final farewell...I know the man is very ill but have not heard of his passing YET ! Undecided
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
5thHorse,

Well, I'm pretty sure I won't be killed if I reject Islam. The hadith on apostasy which he mentioned in the video has a political context because the death penalty is to be imposed only if an apostate betrays or rebels against an Islamic state and thus (in one way or another) endangers the safety of the Muslims living there. Basically, the rulings on apostasy were similar to those for treasonous acts in legal systems worldwide and do not apply to an individual's choice of religion. That is the strongest opinion according to the majority of Islamic scholars. To prove this, here are some links on the rulings on apostasy and the reasoning behind them:

100+ Notable Islamic Voices on Apostasy
Preserving the Freedom for Faith
Affirmation of Freedom of Expression and Belief in the Quran.

Furthermore, there are similar hadiths which are in contradiction with the Quran. So we automatically reject them. Also, there is a great amount of literature on the science of hadith classification based on their level of authenticity which even lay Muslims do not know about. You can see some of them here and download them for free if you're interested (which I doubt you are). Tongue

Thank you Hitch indeed.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(November 11, 2011 at 4:11 am)Rayaan Wrote: 5thHorse,

Well, I'm pretty sure I won't be killed if I reject Islam. The hadith on apostasy which he mentioned in the video has a political context because the death penalty is to be imposed only if an apostate betrays or rebels against an Islamic state and thus (in one way or another) endangers the safety of the Muslims living there. Basically, the rulings on apostasy were similar to those for treasonous acts in legal systems worldwide and do not apply to an individual's choice of religion. That is the strongest opinion according to the majority of Islamic scholars. To prove this, here are some links on the rulings on apostasy and the reasoning behind them:

Furthermore, there are similar hadiths which are in contradiction with the Quran. So we automatically reject them. Also, there is a great amount of literature on the science of hadith classification based on their level of authenticity which even lay Muslims do not know about. You can see some of them here and download them for free if you're interested (which I doubt you are). Tongue

So essentially you reject the Qur'an and the Hadiths and insert your OWN "Interpretations" ?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

A lot of muslims interpret these hadiths litterally. This is the same problem people find with the bible.

These holy books can be used to defend any argument you wish to make and any act you wish to undertake.

I have heard the bible used to defend rape for instance.

Although I cant find the link at the moment curse google search.

But it has certainly been used to excuse murder and other heinous crimes.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Well, I'm pretty sure I won't be killed if I reject Islam.

because you live in USA, different in an islamic country

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16079451

The hadith on apostasy which he mentioned in the video has a political context because the death penalty is to be imposed only if an apostate betrays or rebels against an Islamic state and thus (in one way or another) endangers the safety of the Muslims living there. Basically, the rulings on apostasy were similar to those for treasonous acts in legal systems worldwide and do not apply to an individual's choice of religion. That is the strongest opinion according to the majority of Islamic scholars.

Hmmm, shame the scholars do not rule islamic shitholes then.

'A Pakistani court last month sentenced to death Aasia Bibi, a Christian mother-of-five found guilty of blasphemy. Bibi was arrested in June 2009 after Muslim women claimed that she made derogatory remarks about the Prophet Mohammed. She was set upon by a mob, arrested by police and sentenced on November 8'(note though that although they have been sentenced to death, pakistan has yet to execute someone for it)

Execution for blasphemy, what a classy culture.

Furthermore, there are similar hadiths which are in contradiction with the Quran. So we automatically reject them.

Is that like christian cherry picking? :p

Also, there is a great amount of literature on the science of hadith classification based on their level of authenticity which even lay Muslims do not know about. You can see some of them here and download them for free if you're interested (which I doubt you are). Tongue

nice presumption but i am actually interested in other cultures.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tribute to hitch Chuff 5 1828 April 18, 2012 at 10:23 am
Last Post: jackman