Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Myths and Me (A Love Story)
Myths and Me (A Love Story)
I love myths! "But Rhythm you spend so much time shitting on peoples myths, wtf?" I know, I know. The thing is, I'm not shitting on their myths because I have some issue with myth itself. I have an issue with how some people have leveraged these myths. They're very dear to me and I hate watching the endless parade of people who seem completely intent on removing the beauty and achievements contained therein, or relieving them of their ability to comment on the human experience in an effort to assert their factual accuracy. Now, I'm not the only atheist in the world that likes a good myth (Summer comes to mind), and in conversations with the faithful of any stripe there's probably a great deal of misunderstanding as to why I approach their myths in the manner that I do.

I want to be clear here. I feel that many myths have immense value as metaphor. They are (often but not always) extremely complex in their structure, and plainly demonstrate a fantastic achievement in literary and oral tradition, as well as our constantly evolving concepts of morality, our place in the cosmos, etc etc etc. On these grounds (to me at least) these myths are something to be cherished, retold, and not forgotten. They tell us so much about how our ancestors viewed the world around them, each other, and themselves. This is why I cannot stand it when people assert their myths to be some objective and absolute truth, while simultaneously discounting the myths of every other culture that has ever existed. In doing this they reduce their own myths to the status of irrelevant and useless on the same grounds that they've dismissed the myths of others.

The thing that really get's my goat about this is that many mythological narratives deal with the same questions, and arrive at the same conclusions, though the narratives themselves may be wildly divergent. In the case of those who discount the myths of others, what's being criticized is often not the message itself, but the storyteller, or the style in which the storyteller decided to convey the message. In some cases, the storytellers themselves plainly understood their myths to be metaphor. A literal interpretation of these narratives do them no justice, nor does the implication that the story itself must have been literal to the storyteller. Our ancestors were just as aware of the power of metaphor as we are today.

One of my favorite posters actually made an observation about the way I handle myths in a late night chat session that I think is spot on. I don't need these myths to be "true" for them to be worthwhile. Taking that further, the minute someone goes down the road of arguing any given myth to be "true" (and the others false) it robs their myth of value to me. It becomes petty and small. An attempt to distill something very profound into a simple binary equation that they can leveraged to justify what I believe was already part of their internal narrative to begin with. The concepts therein are often transformed into scapegoats for their own opinions, their own justifications, their own prejudices. Insisting that these myths be married to reality only exacerbates this issue.

It astonishes me that some people feel the need to imagine elaborate shadow worlds to invest these stories with value and merit when they were clearly loaded with these things in the first place.

http://hercules.gcsu.edu/~mmagouli/defmyth.htm
(a great link I came across today with a nice fat bibliography that gave me the idea to write this post)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Myths and Me (A Love Story)
Something that's always reminded me of you that was on the beginning of The Power of Myth TV series that I think you'll get as relates to what you're trying to describe:

There’s a story that Joseph Campbell tells. An American delegate at an international conference on religion was trying to figure out what a Japanese Shinto priest was about. “We’ve been now to a good many ceremonies and have seen quite a few of your shrines. But I don’t get your ideology. I don’t get your theology.” The priest paused as though in deep thought, and then slowly shook his head. ‘I think we don’t have ideology,’ he said. ‘We don’t have theology. We dance.”

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Speaking of mythology:

I know this is a little late, but I'm catching up on podcasts and Project: Archivist did an episode on Samhain (Sow-ehn) that was pretty interesting. They had their favorite folklorist on who explained a lot of the traditions. http://www.projectarchivist.com/?p=474

I love myths, I love Greek Mythology, alot of orientals' myths as well.
I love myths too. I recently read a book about Norse mythology by John Lindow. I think they are awesome, I just wish that the world had become enlightened enough to recognize a myth when they see one. In a world where a ton of people believe in their specific sky-father, why can't they see it's just as valid a concept as the sky-fathers of antiquity?

I happen to think the Judea Christian myth is pretty boring compared to some.

It is. What's funny though is that Jewish folklore, while not as rich in my opinion as others, is quite lively and even humorous. Doesn't get played up much though. Probably an acquired taste, and requiring a healthy love of irony.
It all stems back to war and ethnicity, though most of those who dismiss the myths of others today would deny it. Want to take over Greece and suppress its people? Tell them their religion is wrong and make them worship yours. You can trace changes of religious demographic, in terms of ethnicity, through history. Do not forget to destroy their temples while you are at it. Being anti- a specific myth is racism, a lot of the time. I will say that it is only currently with the exception of Christianity. That religion has been responsible for enough slash and burn conversions that it is now separated from race.

I love myths too, Rhythm, though I have to admit that the Abrahamic myths are boring when compared with others.
I don't think it all goes to war and ethnicity. The earliest myths were numenistic etiologies, set in place to explain why nature was as it was. War and ethnicity came later, and with them came anthropomorphism on a wholesale level.

By the by, there still is no greater frame of reference on myth than Dr. Campbell: Metaphorically speaking, he is a god of gods.
Trying to update my sig ...
I'm not saying that myths go back to war and ethnicity. The rejection of them does. Why would tribe A. agree with Tribe B. when disagreeing with Tribe B is an excuse to wage war and take over the tribe?
Tres Vergilian, Shell, and on that I tend to agree.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4628 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  WHY I LEFT ISLAM - An Apostate's Story bussta33 2 1264 April 18, 2016 at 2:32 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My Conversion Story Secular Atheist 23 3920 October 18, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4633 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
  My short story robvalue 8 1850 December 9, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  We are nothing for suffering (my story) MattMVS7 37 7083 October 8, 2014 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Would a story like this shock anyone I wonder? robvalue 25 4759 September 2, 2014 at 1:46 am
  Very sad story Dosolid 21 4373 June 9, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: psychoslice
  Mormon To Atheist, Here's My Story LivingNumbers6.626 14 3568 April 7, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  A story my uncle told me about god Lemonvariable72 4 2472 September 8, 2013 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Walking Void