Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Religious Services Prevent Depression?
Religious Services Prevent Depression?
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-5...tudy-says/

Quote:"The person who says, 'I guess if I go to services, that will make me more optimistic' - while a possibility, that may not be true," study author Dr. Eliezer Schnall, an associate professor of clinical psychology at Yeshiva University in New York, told Reuters. "There is a correlation, but that does not mean there is causality. One could argue people who are more optimistic may be drawn to religious services."

At least they pointed out the negative effects of these things.
Quote:But religion might not always be rosy. Schnall told CNN, "there also comes with it a social strain." Religion can lead to disagreements with family members, clergy, or fellow parishioners
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
RE: Religious Services Prevent Depression?
If it does, it makes sense. Religion means you're part of something huge and important, making you feel important yourself.

But it's still dumb.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
More crap excuses to promote evangelicalism. I had Jehovah's witnesses evangelicals knocking my door once before, and I can't get the stains off my "welcome" door mat ever since.
Don't know about that.

I found most sermons pretty fucking depressing.

The very existence of televangelists and happy clappy churches leads me to believe there are far more homo sapiens- neanderthal hybrids than I had ever suspected. Previously I thought it was only footballers, boxers and professional wrestlers.. (Aussie rules,gridiron and rugby,not soccer) I find that explains a lot,but is also depressing
(November 11, 2011 at 3:51 pm)Diamond Wrote: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-5...tudy-says/

Quote:"The person who says, 'I guess if I go to services, that will make me more optimistic' - while a possibility, that may not be true," study author Dr. Eliezer Schnall, an associate professor of clinical psychology at Yeshiva University in New York, told Reuters. "There is a correlation, but that does not mean there is causality. One could argue people who are more optimistic may be drawn to religious services."

At least they pointed out the negative effects of these things.
Quote:But religion might not always be rosy. Schnall told CNN, "there also comes with it a social strain." Religion can lead to disagreements with family members, clergy, or fellow parishioners

Depression requires independent thinking. And that is something you certainly cannot accuse people who attend 'services' of. Small wonder there is less depression amongst church-goers. They are to stupid for that.
People enjoy the company of like minded people. Being around such people has a positive effect on our mood. What's the word I'm searching for here...ah yes, friends.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm)Rhythm Wrote: People enjoy the company of like minded people. Being around such people has a positive effect on our mood. What's the word I'm searching for here...ah yes, friends.

Find the nearest bar.
Your 'friends' are there!
And no fire and brimstone sermons but uncomplicated fun!

'Service' attenders are stupid and masochistic!
There are S&M clubs too where people gather to dole it out, take it, or talk about either. If this is the type of experience these people want to gather at, meh, more power to em, as long as they keep it within the walls of the building. Same goes for the godly as far as I'm concerned. I agree it's weird as shit, but it's their decision. I like to hunt, but I don't release animals downtown and open fire( nor do I write off my hunting expenses come tax time, nor do I expect the government to enforce my constitutional right to express myself by blasting Bambi in front of other people) , I just want the religious to extend the same courtesy, and play by the same rules so I won't have to start swinging my sword.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
In psychology it's referred to as "Distraction Therapy". It has short-term results most of the time.

(November 11, 2011 at 5:15 pm)padraic Wrote: I found most sermons pretty fucking depressing.

You're telling me! And when they're not depressing, they're boring.
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are church services usually boring? Der/die AtheistIn 28 3555 April 11, 2019 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Drich
  Atheism Doen't Equal Depression Rhondazvous 94 12954 August 23, 2015 at 8:46 am
Last Post: T.J.
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32815 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Muslim cleric wants Canadian women to cover up to prevent rape. Ziploc Surprise 5 2817 July 21, 2012 at 9:42 am
Last Post: toro