Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physics Problem: what % barrel floating above water
Physics Problem: what % barrel floating above water
A solid cylinder (radius 0.150m height 0.120m) has a mass of 7 kg. The cylinder is floating on water, but oil (r=875kg/m^3) is added to the container, the cylinder gets covered by the oil. What % of the cylinder is above water?

I think that that 100% of the solid cylinder is floating above water because the cylinder is less dense than the water and the oil. density_cylinder = (mass_cylinder) / (pi*(radius^2)*h) = (7) / (pi*(0.15^2)(0.120) = 825.248kg/m^3

However, I can't believe the problem is that easy. I must be doing something wrong.
RE: Physics Problem: what % barrel floating above water
So it didn't sink huh?
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(November 20, 2011 at 8:43 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: So it didn't sink huh?

I don't think so, but if you can show me otherwise, that would be nice.
(November 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: A solid cylinder (radius 0.150m height 0.120m) has a mass of 7 kg. The cylinder is floating on water, but oil (r=875kg/m^3) is added to the container, the cylinder gets covered by the oil. What % of the cylinder is above water?

I think that that 100% of the solid cylinder is floating above water because the cylinder is less dense than the water and the oil. density_cylinder = (mass_cylinder) / (pi*(radius^2)*h) = (7) / (pi*(0.15^2)(0.120) = 825.248kg/m^3

However, I can't believe the problem is that easy. I must be doing something wrong.

The floating cylinder would displace 7kg (plus whatever is added to it) of water.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(November 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(November 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: A solid cylinder (radius 0.150m height 0.120m) has a mass of 7 kg. The cylinder is floating on water, but oil (r=875kg/m^3) is added to the container, the cylinder gets covered by the oil. What % of the cylinder is above water?

The floating cylinder would displace 7kg (plus whatever is added to it) of water.

Nothing is added to the cylinder. The cylinder is solid. I made the mistake of saying the cylinder was a barrel in the title but it's just a solid cylinder. The cylinder is in a container full of water, and oil is added to the container. If enough oil was added to the container that cylinder gets covered by the oil...
So, oil is poured "over" this cylinder, but not into it, and it is not a porous object?
Trying to update my sig ...
(November 20, 2011 at 9:49 pm)Epimethean Wrote: So, oil is poured "over" this cylinder, but not into it, and it is not a porous object?

yes. This is what I understand from the problem. It's a solid cylinder and no oil or water is getting into it.
(November 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote:
(November 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm)IATIA Wrote:

Nothing is added to the cylinder. The cylinder is solid. I made the mistake of saying the cylinder was a barrel in the title but it's just a solid cylinder. The cylinder is in a container full of water, and oil is added to the container. If enough oil was added to the container that cylinder gets covered by the oil...

Unless it is floating in the oil, it will still displace some water. It will be somewhere around 7kg - the weight of the displaced oil. A little more math than that, but right now I am not in math 'mode'.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(November 20, 2011 at 11:39 pm)IATIA Wrote: Unless it is floating in the oil, it will still displace some water. It will be somewhere around 7kg - the weight of the displaced oil. A little more math than that, but right now I am not in math 'mode'.

It really comes down to how much oil is added to the water. If there is only a small amount at the surface, it isn't going to significantly affect the calculations.

If, on the other hand, if there is a substantial amount, you have to factor in how much oil is displaced along with the water.

If it's floating entirely in oil, the calculations become simple again, you'll just be displacing 7kg of oil instead of water.

You really do need to know how much oil there is to do this problem.

(November 21, 2011 at 1:22 am)I_Blaspheme Wrote:
(November 20, 2011 at 11:39 pm)IATIA Wrote: Unless it is floating in the oil, it will still displace some water. It will be somewhere around 7kg - the weight of the displaced oil. A little more math than that, but right now I am not in math 'mode'.

It really comes down to how much oil is added to the water. If there is only a small amount at the surface, it isn't going to significantly affect the calculations.

If, on the other hand, if there is a substantial amount, you have to factor in how much oil is displaced along with the water.

If it's floating entirely in oil, the calculations become simple again, you'll just be displacing 7kg of oil instead of water.

You really do need to know how much oil there is to do this problem.

I believe this is the standard buoyancy problem and there is enough oil to completely encompass the cylinder. In high school, mine was a block of wood.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Physics Puzzle onlinebiker 32 2046 July 21, 2020 at 4:07 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Physics questions ignoramus 21 1881 May 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Open water in Barrow, Alaska Jehanne 8 1841 May 5, 2018 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1834 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Physics of Guinness thesummerqueen 23 7494 September 2, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Does Physics now have a complete description of Nature? Jehanne 32 4389 April 10, 2017 at 11:14 am
Last Post: dyresand
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2712 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  SMASH Theory Claims to Solve 5 Major Questions of Physics AFTT47 0 1236 February 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  If water is tasteless and air is tasteless then why doesn't air taste like water? ErGingerbreadMandude 24 4578 January 27, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Physics Nobel 2016 Alex K 8 1907 October 4, 2016 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Jackalope