Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Euler] Need clarification
[Euler] Need clarification
Please note that this is not a homework, I am not a student Smile

The problem description is here: http://projecteuler.net/problem=2

It is said "By considering the terms in the Fibonacci sequence whose values do not exceed four million, find the sum of the even-valued terms."

Now, due to my really really bad english, should we:
1. SUM all EVEN fibonacci number until sequence just before 4000000 (which is 399999) ? or
2. SUM all EVEN fibonacci number which values is below 4000000 (which is 3524578) ?

* I think I cannot survive high-school in English country Sad
RE: [Euler] Need clarification
The problem suggests a finding of a sum of even terms of Fibonacci sequence:

S=2+8+34+... (+all even numbers less than 4000000)

This problem can be easily solved by using a general term formula for Fibonacci sequence and by using a formula for a sum of geometric progression.

By the way. Thank you for the problem. It will be a good task for my students.
The whole religion - it's a great trolling, beginning with "and prove that there is no God."
Thanks Bertran,

So the number would be:
0, 2, 8, 34, 144, 610, 2584, 10946, 46368, 196418, 832040, 3524578

and the SUM is: 4613732 ?

Am I correct? (just tell me am I correct or not Smile )
This is a cheating. But anyway, your result is correct.
The whole religion - it's a great trolling, beginning with "and prove that there is no God."
Thanks Bertran, btw I input my answer to:
http://projecteuler.net/problem=2

And they said it is incorrect.

Either our understanding is wrong, or their understanding and other 150000 people is wrong Sad
It is very strange. It is interesting to hear another persons and how they did understand this problem.
Make sure there isn't any whitespace (tabs, spaces, etc) surrounding your answer. I can confirm that 4613732 is the correct answer, since I solved that problem years ago.
(November 21, 2011 at 2:59 pm)Bertran Wrote: This problem can be easily solved by using a general term formula for Fibonacci sequence and by using a formula for a sum of geometric progression.

Just out of curiosity, what are the relevant formulae? (Not a student, just a middle-aged guy that's been out of math of a long time)

(November 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Just out of curiosity, what are the relevant formulae? (Not a student, just a middle-aged guy that's been out of math of a long time)
Of course, I'm talking about this formula for F_n.
(November 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm)Bertran Wrote:
(November 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Just out of curiosity, what are the relevant formulae? (Not a student, just a middle-aged guy that's been out of math of a long time)
Of course, I'm talking about this formula for F_n.

Thanks. Interesting, yet (somewhat) incomprehensible, as my math education ended at high-school trigonometry. One of these days, I'll have to figure out that high falutin' math stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Euler GrandizerII 28 4595 July 5, 2016 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII