Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xmas
xmas
How does the xtians think that they can keep taking traditional pegan concept for holidays and take them for themselves. Don't xtians followers actually know almost everything from their religion has been stolen from another earlier brainwash?
Bill Maher: If you believe that the world is going to come to an end - and perhaps any day now - does it not drain one's motivation to improve life on earth while we're here?
RE: xmas
My guess is that the ones who do know don't care. I don't either, honestly. I don't take issue with borrowing traditions from other cultures.
That will never hold up in court...
(November 22, 2011 at 11:04 pm)xxxtobymac Wrote: How does the xtians think that they can keep taking traditional pegan concept for holidays and take them for themselves. Don't xtians followers actually know almost everything from their religion has been stolen from another earlier brainwash?

The only thing I know some of them are aware of is the absence of their traditions in the bible. However, I don't think they're aware of how most of them came to be. I know I never was when I was a xtian.
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
Interestingly enough...researching Christmas and the history behind it started me on my path to atheism.
That will never hold up in court...
(November 22, 2011 at 11:04 pm)xxxtobymac Wrote: How does the xtians think that they can keep taking traditional pegan concept for holidays and take them for themselves. Don't xtians followers actually know almost everything from their religion has been stolen from another earlier brainwash?

Off-topic.

What exactly is Xtians.
Is short for Christians? Or have a different meaning.

(November 22, 2011 at 11:28 pm)Phaedra Wrote: My guess is that the ones who do know don't care. I don't either, honestly. I don't take issue with borrowing traditions from other cultures.

Dead on right!!!

Let's face... nowadays anything that'll give you a 3 day weekend or just time off from work will be appreciated.

I can remember that Dave Chapelle once said, in responding to the Arizona rejection of celebrating Martin Luther King Day, "Hell, as a black man I'd even celebrate KKK day, if it meant I'd get a 3 day weekend, just don't expect me to show up to the meetings...". Cool Shades

Religion might suck, but one thing is a bonus... lots of reasons not to go to work. Tongue

Meow!

GREG

btw... nice "bad assed pussy cat" you've got there! Tiger

(November 24, 2011 at 4:44 am)Koldaramor Wrote:

Off-topic.

What exactly is Xtians.
Is short for Christians? Or have a different meaning.

I'd imagine it is that same as Christians, but one never knows for sure.

Reminds me of how I used to annoy people who would wear a large cross around their neck. I used to take the opportunity to ask "hey, what's the "T" stand for"?

The looks you get are priceless! Tongue

Meow!

GREG

Moral is as moral does and as moral wishes it all too be. - MoS

The absence of all empirical evidence for the necessity of intuitive X existing is evidence against the necessary empirical existence of intuitive X - MoS (variation of 180proof)

Athesim is not a system of belief, but rather a single answer to a single question. It is the designation applied by theists to those who do not share their assumption that a god/deity exists. - MoS

I am not one to attribute godlike qualities to things that I am unable to understand. I may never be in the position to understand certain things, but I am not about to create an anthropomorphic deity out of my short-commings. I wish not to errect a monument to my own personal ignorace and demand that others worship this proxy of ego. - MoS
Greg, you are a maniac.
(November 23, 2011 at 12:10 am)Diamond Wrote:

The only thing I know some of them are aware of is the absence of their traditions in the bible. However, I don't think they're aware of how most of them came to be. I know I never was when I was a xtian.

And now that I am no longer a Christian I get to enjoy the holidays without any cognitive dissonance.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Is it already that time for the secular conspiracy that everyone is trying to take christ out of christmas?
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
There was a conspiracy to put christ in christmas, don't get it twisted. To the OP. This is actually common. Cultures often incorporate the holidays of other cultures as they march across the map. People will stop making offerings to their idols (if you "bother" them enough), and make offerings to yours instead. What they will not do, is give up a bitching party. In the case of christianity though, believe there's a verse for this (when is there not?). Something about the faithful making clean the unclean by their observance of the "one true god" during these little gatherings. Perhaps one of the afflicted would like to sniff it out for me?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confessions: Going to Church for Xmas this Year *Deidre* 39 6389 December 28, 2014 at 6:39 am
Last Post: bennyboy