Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook Duel; Part 3
Facebook Duel; Part 3
Original post
FUNDIE #1: Jake Plummer thinks Tim Tebow should quit talking about Jesus so much. Tebow's response:

"Any time I get an opportunity to tell Jesus Christ that I love him or I'm given an opportunity to shout him out on national TV, I'm gonna take that opportunity...and that's how it works because Christ comes first in my life."

Oh, and Jake Plummer, thanks for subscribing to noneofmyfreakingbusiness.com...

ME: I wonder how the lunch croud in the teacher's lounge would feel if one of the teachers was a Muslim cleric, and droned on and on about his beliefs in front of others confined within their workspace...

FUNDIE #2: It is a free country...freedom of speech. Would people get nervous...of course, radical Muslim theology is to kill those that don't agree...you are really comparing apples and oranges...that which brings life...and that which brings death.

ME: This is in principle a free country...but you and I both know there are loopholes. The school district located in the free country in which this Muslim teacher works would most likely find a way to dismiss, or non-renew him. How about a Buddhist? They're benign...but the outcome would be the same...and I think you know that. Perhaps an Orthodox Jew working in a shop, explains why God is so great...but Jesus wasn't the Messiah. How far would that fly?

But...this is a "free country", and as long as one abides by the (unwritten) rules of a theistic majority, they are safe.

How 'bout them apples? Wink

FUNDIE #1: Yeah, there's no point in over-complicating this. It's okay for Tim Tebow to talk about Jesus. Period. As soon as this becomes an actual "problem," then we have a much bigger problem...

FUNDIE #2: He has freedom of speech...and its awesome he is willing to share the truth of Jesus Christ so boldly. Pray for him to have favor with his players and lead them to faith in Jesus Christ.

ME: Agreed...it is ok for Tebow to talk (promotionally) about Jesus. But the news stories are about a divide...that it makes some people uncomfortable to the degree with which Tebow promotes his beliefs. The first ammendment doesn't say we don't have the right NOT to be ofended, or put off...so again, he is justified. But since the rationale behind the stories was the divide...I thought it might be interesting to explore it. It isn't complicated at all...as long as one falls within the social majority. HE HAS freedom of speech...as does any other citizen of the US. He also has immunity, since most people agree with him.

FUNDIE #2: Luke 12:51 -- "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division."

ME: FUNDIE #2...earlier you talked about Muslims "kill[ing] those that don't agree...", seemingly in an effort to distance Christianity from Islam in regards to their interpretation of religious text[s]. A bit later, you then quoted Luke 12:51. I'm no a Biblical scholar...but a few lines previous to that which you posted (Luke 12:46/47), talks about beating, and bisecting the unfaithful. Seems to me that many religious texts can be interpreted in such a way to inspire violent acts. To me, it seems to be a bit less of apples to oranges, and a bit more Granny's , to Fuji's.

*Enjoy!
Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata; hiding with the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 2986 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Random Facebook god post Rahn127 10 1384 June 27, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3506 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Just now on Facebook....... Brian37 10 1529 September 6, 2018 at 9:18 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Just met a former Muslim on Facebook Brian37 6 2721 May 3, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25956 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Best part of atheism for you Alexmahone 43 6426 January 9, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 16566 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 361665 April 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  This is the message I just got on Facebook Easy Guns 15 4020 December 31, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns