Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Again about defining Atheism
Again about defining Atheism
There is absolutely legitimate for every member of the forum to have his own opinion about the definition of Atheism.
This matter has a vital importance for atheism as an idea so that it should not be exagerated from time to time to reopen the dicussion of how atheism is to be defined.
Without entering in the whole definition the essence of it circles around the key words "disbelief"or disprove"of God.
To my opinion the use of both key words are in a certain way disminishing the core of atheism.

What does it mean "disbelief"?
It is the opposite of belief ,a thing we do'nt b e l i e f that it exists,
bears the nuance that we are not a 100% sure of it.

The definition "disprove of God" means that we have a direct prove ,a scientific one of his nonexistence ,which we obviously have not.

To my opinion the key word is "denial "of the existence of God.
We deny the existence of God as a material entity not because of "disbelief "or "disprove" but because we k n o w that He is a creation of mankind.
We k n o w without the slightest doubt that all Holly Scriptures of every religion ,whithout any exception were written by human beings.
We are not only sure that he is a creation of man but we also k n o w
why he did it:to satisfy his spirtual needs and to help him in his daily struggle for life.
The denial of the existence of God extents to all beliefs in supranatural
powers colateral to religion ,the belief in Destiny included.
May be that famous atheist philosophers have better definitions of atheism but thay does not mean that we have to live in the shadow of importatnt men.
Finally I woul like to emphasize that to my opinion one can not be an atheist whithout being convinced of the law of indeterminism ,(known also as randomness or hazard or chaos) without what one falls in the pitfall of Destiny.
RE: Again about defining Atheism
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Atheism

The doctrine or belief that there is no God.

Disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Nuff said.
(September 4, 2008 at 3:19 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: There is absolutely legitimate for every member of the forum to have his own opinion about the definition of Atheism.
This matter has a vital importance for atheism as an idea so that it should not be exagerated from time to time to reopen the dicussion of how atheism is to be defined.
Without entering in the whole definition the essence of it circles around the key words "disbelief"or disprove"of God.
To my opinion the use of both key words are in a certain way disminishing the core of atheism.

What does it mean "disbelief"?
It is the opposite of belief ,a thing we do'nt b e l i e f that it exists,
bears the nuance that we are not a 100% sure of it.

The definition "disprove of God" means that we have a direct prove ,a scientific one of his nonexistence ,which we obviously have not.

To my opinion the key word is "denial "of the existence of God.
We deny the existence of God as a material entity not because of "disbelief "or "disprove" but because we k n o w that He is a creation of mankind.
We k n o w without the slightest doubt that all Holly Scriptures of every religion ,whithout any exception were written by human beings.
We are not only sure that he is a creation of man but we also k n o w
why he did it:to satisfy his spirtual needs and to help him in his daily struggle for life.
The denial of the existence of God extents to all beliefs in supranatural
powers colateral to religion ,the belief in Destiny included.
May be that famous atheist philosophers have better definitions of atheism but thay does not mean that we have to live in the shadow of importatnt men.

There are a lot of definitions for atheism on the internet, all of them pretty similar. Since you appear to be a Christian I chose this one.

"The lack of belief in a god and/or the belief that there is no god. The position held by a person or persons that 'lack belief' in god(s) and/or deny that god(s) exist."

I found it at a Christian Apologetics website here.

http://www.carm.org/atheism/terms.htm

I think the above definition pretty well sums up what atheism is. However, not all atheists take the 'lack belief' or 'deny' stance towards god(s), for example,

"Theological noncognitivism - is the argument that religious language, and specifically words like 'God' (capitalized), are not cognitively meaningful. Some thinkers propose it as a way to prove the nonexistence of anything named "God". It is sometimes considered to be synonymous with Ignosticism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theological_noncognitivism

"Ignosticism - the view that the question of whether or not God exists is inherently meaningless because (1) the notion of God has no consistent definition among the various religious factions, and (2) all definitions of God refer to words that do not point to anything verifiable or testable in the 'real world' but only to presupposed 'attributes' extracted through an arbitrary collection of other words."

http://www.ignosticism.org/

(September 4, 2008 at 3:19 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: Finally I woul like to emphasize that to my opinion one can not be an atheist whithout being convinced of the law of indeterminism ,(known also as randomness or hazard or chaos) without what one falls in the pitfall of Destiny.

An opinion based on your flawed understanding of atheism. All an atheist has to be convinced of is their views regarding god(s) as per the definitions provided by Brick-top and myself.
"May God bless her, and all who sail in her" - Florence Ismay, at the launching of the Titanic
We are not discussing this again. Discussion over semantics never gets anywhere. I don't think it is a denial, others do. I think it is a disbelief, others don't. What does it really matter, as long as nobody who calls themselves an atheist believes in gods...
I agree heavily! Once is enough for me. Smile please....please end the topic.

Topic already done and points made, Nuf said I think.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27101 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Make Atheism Great Again Mechaghostman2 104 12002 July 16, 2016 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  On Defining Atheism: A Sentence Napoléon 45 8601 August 24, 2015 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  On Defining Atheism: An Essay Manalive 46 9739 August 22, 2015 at 6:22 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12467 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  A question about defining 'Atheist' orangebox21 12 3483 July 10, 2014 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12004 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Concisely defining three types of atheism. Edwardo Piet 6 2779 January 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: GANIMEDE