Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you tell people you are an atheist
How do you tell people you are an atheist
I have been grappling with this for a while. Namely how do you tell people that you an atheist without unnecessarily off putting them.

Since I know many Christians (even fundamentalist ones) in my life who are frankly better human beings than I am. I suppose I would be upfront and say I am an atheist, however in particular Australians done like blunt people very much.

Maybe some people can help me on how to say to people you are an atheist, without being too blunt or trigger an emotional reaction in them.
undefined
RE: How do you tell people you are an atheist
Aussies aren't blunt?

Call yourself a humanist.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
In my part of town, the question is never "what religion are you?" but instead, "which church do you attend?" To that, I reply, "oh, I am not very religious." And somehow, that often shuts them up. They still assume I am a Christian but I just don't go on Sundays so it avoids the confrontation. Yes, this is the easy way out but it works for me and keeps my house from being rolled and/or egged.
Right after I tell them I'm a benevolent pansexual transsexual anarchist Smile

And a globally apathetic sociopathic syndicalist.

And it usually falls somewhere in the third sentence line, like this: I am an existential nihilistic deterministic atheist.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Like so;

"Wait, what? You believe that shit? You're a fucking moron."

Outta do the job pretty thoroughly. Oh, oh, without putting them off, well, I guess I couldn't do that unless the person was also an atheist, in which case I doubt we'd ever have reason to discuss the non-existence of fairy tale gods. Honestly, your refusal to be complacent in this little scam exposes those who are for what they are, and they know it. Don't see how you can avoid that. I'm a big fan of this one too;

Theist-"Do you believe in god?"
Me-"Which gods don't you believe in?"
-Theist lists off fairy tale gods-
Me-"Their lie exposes your own."
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well when the subject of religion comes up and I'm asked for my opinion, I state that I don't believe in any of it. No reaction since my family are mostly atheists/apatheists. They don't give a fuck. When it comes to others, they also don't give a fuck. Very secular society. Tongue
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
same as Ace, although the Jehovah's Witnesses always give me a pitying look, i dont mind though, they should pity themselves.
I am very open about my atheism... Maybe it is in hope of someone attacking me Tongue

I like the chance to kick someone's ass.

Someone gives you hell, you get in that ass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNgDXNkwIjQ
Cunt
If asked, I answer honestky that I'm an atheist. However if someone justifies their actions with 'god' I'll be puncing!
"I'm a science person."

"I'm not exactly 'religious'."

"I'm on a no bullshit diet."

"I'm not at all superstitious...AT ALL."

or you could just change the subject.

I tell people straight out now. If they have a problem with it, they usually don't shy from telling me so, and that's when I say that their problems with my atheism are not my problem, and walk away.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1945 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9062 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92739 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7032 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14302 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8082 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  Who do you tell you are atheist? Sedna 43 7074 October 24, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Why tell anyone? John V 53 9510 April 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  How to tell parents I'm an atheist Creeper23782 63 14780 April 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ? Marsellus Wallace 71 12432 March 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD