Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good News from NC...for once
Good News from NC...for once
I'm glad that I don't have to cringe EVERY time my state comes up in the news...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...se-plates/

Quote:North Carolina has decided to compete with Georgia in the license plate arena. The North Carolina legislature approved a license plate which would read “Choose Life.”

Yesterday, a federal judge put a stop to this nonsense with a preliminary injunction. Katherine Lewis Parker, Legal Director of the ACLU North Carolina Legal Foundation (which argued against the North Carolina DMV) previously said in a press release:

“This is a basic issue of freedom of speech and fairness. It is a fundamental tenet of the First Amendment that the State cannot use its authority to promote one side of a debate while denying the same opportunity to the other side. Anyone who supports freedom of speech should agree with this stance, regardless of one’s position on abortion. Our position would be the same if the State had authorized a pro-choice license plate but not an anti-choice alternative. In that situation, the ACLU-NCLF would be suing on behalf of anti-choice drivers under the exact same theory of viewpoint discrimination.”

“If anti-choice drivers are permitted to express their views on their license plates, people like me should be able to express our view that women deserve full reproductive freedom,” said Sue Holliday, plaintiff and certified nurse midwife.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Good News from NC...for once
Thinking

I keep looking for something good that "North Carolina" did there. All I see is a smart federal judge and the ACLU stopping them from being religious fucktards again.

I'll read it again to see what I missed!
Not a goddamn thing the state did - I take what "good news" I can get down here.
How about a license plate that reads "if mary aborted Jesus back then, you wouldn't be this dumb now!".

Too long to fit on a license plate? How about a bumper sticker?
(November 30, 2011 at 11:15 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Not a goddamn thing the state did - I take what "good news" I can get down here.

Ah! Got it.
It's a conundrum: the people are fucking retarded, but moving back to DC would require me to deal with assholes. The growing season is longer and steadier here, so thus, I stay.
Damn, some Americans get really riled up over what some arbitrary license plates read.

When I'm driving and I'm close enough to read what's on the vanity plate I'm actually too preoccupied with maintaining a safe distance from the arsehole-driver in front who's clearly out for a back-end insurance job to care about what statement they're making.
There was a comedian who made fun of that actually, regarding religious bumper stickers. "Oh no! Am I really going to reconsider my lack of faith because a BUMPER STICKER said so? I'm in the middle of navigating traffic and suddenly think, 'am I right with Jesus?'"
Bumper stickers are to xtians what towels are to muslims.

Conversation I had over a week ago:

Me: I would like to suggest that we could make a positive hypothesis about the existence of Jesus due to the drag effect he has on cars proportionate to the number of bumper stickers bearing his name scattered across their backs.

espressofrog: The Flying Spaghetti monster is naturally attracted to bumper stickers, his invisible appendages loves to touch them and they get stuck to the plastic surface and dragged along as the car moves away. Jesus is only one of the many hand/tentacle puppets he used to communicate with the non-pastafarians at some time.

Me: No one bearing the mark of His Noodly Appendage has ever held me up due to the weight of His worship. Those bearing the fishy mark of the False Jewish Prophet, on the other hand, appear to need to pray at every intersection and indeed drive as if they bear the body of their tortured Savior on the hood of their car.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Once, twice, three times a Brian. Brian37 14 944 March 22, 2021 at 7:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ok, so I am a dumbass once again. Brian37 59 3222 June 27, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  News So Good I Have to Share It Rhondazvous 6 1027 July 5, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Joods
  You once loved it, but now... c172 38 5304 April 21, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  You once hated it, but now.... Foxaèr 27 3506 April 16, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: emjay
  Once again time for how much time you've spent here Foxaèr 23 2682 April 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Have you heard the good news? Martian Mermaid 44 4815 January 23, 2018 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Antares
  Once you pop...that's great! c172 19 2772 November 24, 2017 at 4:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Fake News: All the news that fits. Gawdzilla Sama 0 426 October 10, 2017 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Good news Joods 23 1359 December 29, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus