Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living in Tennessee as an atheist?
Living in Tennessee as an atheist?
Hey guys I am looking for some advice.

Currently I am a senior in college in TN and I will be graduating in May so the whole issue of jobs/living out on my own is soon coming to pass. I am going to be interning/volunteering for two companies in a marketing capacity next semester.

What I wanted to know is are there any of you that lived in TN as an atheist for any length of time? I wanted to know how difficult or easy that it was. My issue is from a practical standpoint this may end up being my best career opportunity which could be further complicated if I manage to find a young lady here as well.

Any advice or good resources that could help me find out what I am getting into more?
RE: Living in Tennessee as an atheist?
I am also an atheist living in TN. Just don't be too flaunty about it with people you don't really know. When asked, say you're not religious.

(December 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm)aleialoura Wrote: I am also an atheist living in TN. Just don't be too flaunty about it with people you don't really know. When asked, say you're not religious.

This.

I’ve been living in Tennessee on and off for nearly 50 years now. The last time I was there was 02-08, and I spent 2 years in Memphis, 2 in Nashville and 3 in Knoxville. My faith, or lack thereof, was never an issue, but I didn’t discuss it with just anyone either.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Alright, thanks for the advice ^_^
(December 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm)aleialoura Wrote: I am also an atheist living in TN. Just don't be too flaunty about it with people you don't really know. When asked, say you're not religious.

Yes, this. That is exactly what I say when people ask me and I'm in South Carolina where it's 99% Christian (or seems that way). I always get the question, "what church do you go to?" And I reply, "oh we don't really go to church much." That seems to appease most people.

In everyday life, religion doesn't surface too much but when it does, just brush it off living in TN. You don't have to really confront it.

Wow, in England you'd just say "I'm an atheist".

It's sad that people in part of the USA can't just come out and say it because of the reaction they might get.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Well... I usually tell people on an individual level that way I don't get someones predetermined list of what an atheist is etc. However I already know that while I won't scream it from the mountain-tops I am not going to be private about it either. That just isn't how I work.

I agree though I think it is sad that atheism is treated so negatively in the USA. Of course look at candidates like Rick Perry and that may explain part of the issue. The most ironic thing to me about people who treat atheists differently is supposedly conservatism is supposed to be all about preserving the constitution which would mean NOT mistreating atheists.

The reason I posted this was just to get further advice/other peoples experiences on living in the Bible belt as an atheist. Its always nice to get the views of people who have been dealing with it far longer than I have.
(December 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm)Voltair Wrote: The most ironic thing to me about people who treat atheists differently is supposedly conservatism is supposed to be all about preserving the constitution
Conservatism about preserving the constitution? Lol, no it's about taking away rights from people, and giving rights to corporations! Big Grin
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
Well the man with the biggest stick wins, true justice!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is atheism worth living for? MarcusA 74 3812 September 3, 2023 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Your point of living? joe90 82 10681 May 9, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Stupid Book 'Abundant Living' RiddledWithFear 8 1874 December 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The Joy of Living Dangerously; Sanderson of Oundle FebruaryOfReason 1 1156 February 7, 2016 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Best Living Spokesman for Atheism athrock 167 26280 December 30, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  i think we are living in the end times! Rextos 5 1761 December 17, 2015 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Currently living in a "Christian Program." Secular Atheist 23 6295 July 29, 2015 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheists living in very religious places, do you have moments of doubt? Alex K 16 3690 October 31, 2014 at 10:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dinosaurs and Man Living Together? Duke Guilmon 39 10098 April 30, 2014 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Leaving Church, Living True, A Liberating Feeling LivingNumbers6.626 2 1637 April 21, 2014 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Aisha