Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Due process possibly being abolished. Article & Petition Explaining.
Due process possibly being abolished. Article & Petition Explaining.
"Taken collectively, these provisions reorient our legal landscape in such a way as to ensure that martial law, rather than the rule of law -- our U.S. Constitution, becomes the map by which we navigate life in the United States. In short, this defense bill not only decimates the due process of law and habeas corpus for anyone perceived to be an enemy of the United States, but it radically expands the definition of who may be considered the legitimate target of military action.

If signed into law by President Obama, this bill will not only ensure that we remain in a perpetual state of war -- with this being a war against the American people -- but it will also institute de facto martial law in the United States. Although the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act placed strong restrictions on how and when the U.S. military may be used on American soil, the language of this bill supersedes Posse Comitatus, empowering the president to unilaterally impose martial law at any time of his choosing. This legislation signals the end of the rule of law in America.""

Article explaining what is happening:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w-whi...29847.html

Sign the petition here if you're concerned about the cause & pass it on!: http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-nda...ore-dec-13
RE: Due process possibly being abolished. Article & Petition Explaining.
America abolished due process with the practice of rendition and Guantanamo Bay prison.

Perhaps read The Patriot Act

Establishing the sinister-sounding and now monolithic* Department Of Homeland Security ,with its sweeping powers sent a chill down my spine. If I was an American I'd be terrified.

About 30 years ago,Norman Mailer observed "America is now entering its fascist phase"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Stat...d_Security
I am an anarchist in a fascist state...Lord help me.
As fucked up as that is, I've been reading all of these ridiculous diatribes about it that miss the mark completely. It involves traitors and enemies of the U.S. That means it has absolutely nothing to do with an average citizen. Nearly every idiot I have heard rail on about it thinks it takes away their rights as a citizen. Well, try not to be a traitor and you'll be all right.

That being said, I disagree with it and hope it does not pass. I hate the language it uses as well. Like most U.S. laws, it is too ambiguous and vague. They need to use more specific language (I say this all the time). "Enemy of the United States" does not cut it for me. If you are not going to extend these rights to specific criminals, you have to be more specific about it. If I piss on the White House lawn, am I an enemy of the U.S.?
Quote:Well, try not to be a traitor and you'll be all right.

Hmmm.... you may be a bit young to remember Nixon's "enemies list," hon. I'm not so sure you want these nazi fucks deciding who is and who isn't a "traitor."
Oh, I completely agree, Min. As I said, I don't like it at all. However, it's histrionic of people to read it as "There is no more due process!" I was getting tired of reading those facebook posts from ignoramuses who didn't read past the sensational titles of the articles in which they read about it. It is certainly a step in that direction and should be stopped, but not knowing the details gets laughs instead of thoughtful pauses. This is why I love the war activists in period movies. They know all the facts and precisely why they are mad. Of course, that isn't reality, but I can dream.
But the other side is no smarter, Shel. They wrap themselves in the fucking flag and anyone who disagrees with THEM becomes a traitor.

Unfortunately, governments ( unlike protesters) have the capability to act on those determinations.
(December 11, 2011 at 9:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: But the other side is no smarter, Shel. They wrap themselves in the fucking flag and anyone who disagrees with THEM becomes a traitor.

Unfortunately, governments ( unlike protesters) have the capability to act on those determinations.

My anger at the ignorance of one side does not eliminate my anger at the other. I find the move ludicrous and completely unnecessary. There is nothing happening in the here and now that would dictate such a move. It's a "hey let's sneak this in there" kind of thing. It's bullshit. That doesn't make it okay to represent it as something it is not. This involves military action against specific people. There are actually idiots on facebook who think it is revoking all due process. As I said before, the language leaves it open, so I can see the cause for concern and share it. I simply see no need to misinterpret it.
This part was added before it passed the senate.

Quote:(b) Applicability to United States Citizens and Lawful Resident Aliens-
(1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States.
(2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States.

If signed into law with this provision the bill will not apply to US citizens. Of course that never stopped them before. Just ask Jose Padilla.

As it passed the senate I’m not sure it is any worse than what was left than the Military Commissions Act of 2006 after SCOTUS stripped it of the provisions restricting the right of habeas corpus in their ruling on Boumediene v. Bush.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Quote:I simply see no need to misinterpret it.

I would not trust Barack Obama with such power. Can you imagine any of the piles of shit running for the GOP nomination having it?

Bush "re-interpreted" the law to allow torture. Lawyers are whores, Shel. You can always pay one to do what you want done.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1746 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump's Base is Possibly Growing Yonadav 66 3620 February 25, 2019 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Athene
  This is Why ICE Should Be Abolished Minimalist 2 610 September 13, 2018 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Article in the NYT looking at liberal vs conservative polarization Whateverist 16 1576 March 12, 2018 at 2:52 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  After Due Consideration, I Hope The Fucks Pass It Minimalist 3 573 November 24, 2017 at 5:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Impeachment process in the United States Joods 18 3243 October 31, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Article of impeachment has been filed NuclearEnergy 13 3184 July 12, 2017 at 3:28 pm
  A minor solution to America's election process NuclearEnergy 19 4083 May 3, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  A Good Article Minimalist 16 1909 November 24, 2016 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A good article for understanding what motivates Trumpsters from their point of view Whateverist 15 2214 November 17, 2016 at 4:25 am