Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terror? What terror?
Terror? What terror?
Surprise, surprise, the 12 Asians so spectacularly arrested in the UK recently under the umbrella of anti-terror legislation and who the Prime Minister said were planning a major terror operation, have been released with no case to answer.
Nonetheless, the " war on terror " must be kept up, and to help us sleep soundly at night, kthe unelected security minister Lord West is to announce plans to " step up the fight against Al-Qaida by unveiling a plan to protect every public building in Britain ". If this " plan " sees the light of day it'll cost billions......for what?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: Terror? What terror?
"The War On Terror" is every bit as real [and successful] as the wars on drugs,crime and world poverty.

You know what you are? You're a cynic,that's what you are. Wink Shades
Terrorism is quite a relative thing. It depends who you ask. The attackers or those who got attacked?

What I think about when I hear terrorism is killing civilians. Don't matter if it's a military force or religious fanatics. Thats why I always have been against USA and their wars. I have always disliked that they also try to justify their attacks which happens to so many innocent. I feel as bad for those cilvilians who die in Iraq as I do for they who died in terrorist attacks in the supway-station in Spain and the twintowers in New York.

I don't see much diffrence between a sucide bombing or a regular bombing against cities and civilians.
(April 22, 2009 at 8:33 pm)padraic Wrote: "The War On Terror" is every bit as real [and successful] as the wars on drugs,crime and world poverty.

Exactly. And Justnowism is just as viable as Intelligent Design. Teach the controversy!
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Quote:I don't see much diffrence between a sucide bombing or a regular bombing against cities and civilians.

I guess it depends on whether one happens to be suicide bomber.Confused Fall

My position is that once you accept violence as a legitimate means to an end,that ultimately there are no rules. Terrorism is legitimate tool of war. It ALWAYS works. It is especially the utterly predictable response of the weak against the strong.

I watched the attacks of 9/11 with horror and anguish for the those poor people in the towers, but without the slightest surprise. Given America's jingoism,it was only a matter of time.* This is not a moral argument,but historical, pragmatic and political.

*Since 1950,the US has been engaged in over FIFTY military actions. If you go back to the foundation of the Republic,the numbesr are in the hundreds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of...#1950-1959
(April 23, 2009 at 4:32 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:I don't see much diffrence between a sucide bombing or a regular bombing against cities and civilians.

I guess it depends on whether one happens to be suicide bomber.Confused Fall

My position is that once you accept violence as a legitimate means to an end,that ultimately there are no rules. Terrorism is legitimate tool of war. It ALWAYS works. It is especially the utterly predictable response of the weak against the strong.

I watched the attacks of 9/11 with horror and anguish for the those poor people in the towers, but without the slightest surprise. Given America's jingoism,it was only a matter of time.* This is not a moral argument,but historical, pragmatic and political.

*Since 1950,the US has been engaged in over FIFTY military actions. If you go back to the foundation of the Republic,the numbesr are in the hundreds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of...#1950-1959

I agree

One thing I find very annoying about americas actions after 9/11 is that the CIA walked around in europe and arrested people that they sent to Guatanamo. Some of my countrymen where sent there, which made me mad. They where innocent but because they where born in some middleseast countries and have been there on vacation, mostly to visit family and so, did they get arrested.

Acctually one football player from Malmö called Behrang Safari got interigated for nearly 8 hours when he came to the USA when he and his team should be on a training camp there. The reason why he was interigated was because he was born in Teheran, Iran.

Such things just make me mad
@Giff

I love the US,and have been several times .I have a lot of family there and in Canada.The only bad experience I've ever had was with a couple of paranoid immigration officials in 1985 at JFK.

I made a decision not to visit the US again after reading The Patriot Act. Under that Act ANYONE can be arrested and detained indefinitely without charge and without rights. That's called "suspension of due process".That's something one expects in a country such as the PRC or North Korea,not in the USA,self proclaimed world police and champion of democracy.
What a wonderful world.
" The creeping irreversible curtailment of civil liberties in the name of national security is playing the game by terrorist rules. We owe it not only to ourselves, but to future genarations to do our utmost to uphold and safeguard our civil rights. "

This was expresed by former chief of the defence staff, Lord Craig of Radley, in a debate on civil liberties this week in the House of Lords.

Just sometimes, the ermine-clad class actually come up with something an old leftie can support!
Good show, my lords and ladies!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation The Terror of Monopolies AFTT47 9 1321 September 12, 2015 at 3:16 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Right wing terror attack foiled in France Something completely different 1 1106 August 14, 2013 at 5:07 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Canadian Authorities Thwart Major Terror Attack A Theist 5 2694 April 22, 2013 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Attempted islamist terror attack in Bonn (Germany) Something completely different 2 1339 December 17, 2012 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Tobie
  Ridge: Bush officials sought to raise terror alert before '04 vote Eilonnwy 30 11562 August 25, 2009 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy