Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Coming out as an atheist"
"Coming out as an atheist"
Does anyone have suggestions of how to come out to my parents? Idk what to do and feel trapped when I have to go to church every sunday I'm home and also the worst part is I go to a religious affiliated school so I'm required to go to chapel twice a week. I guess freedom of religion doesn't exist in private school. Enough rambling. If anyone has any suggestions it would be really helpful, thanks so much.
RE: "Coming out as an atheist"
From what you've told me, I think you should tell your dad first if you think he will be more relaxed about it. Maybe you could wait a bit to tell your mom if your worried about her reaction. Hopefully your dad can back you up a bit, tell her that respect is important and all that, when you do tell her.

Other than that, there's really no other way but to come out and say it.
And welcome to the forums!
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
I never had to do this myself, I was lucky and my family is largely atheist (of the don't really care variety) and those that aren't are accepted. VERY lucky.

However from what I have seen honesty is important, you can't be afraid to be yourself. It may surprise your parents, and we cannot fault them for that.

I know a lot of people here can speak with more experience on this than me so I'll keep my advice to this: Remind them you are still their child. You still love them and you have not changed, you are not an evil person nor do you think they are. You simply do not beleive in god, whatever your reason.

That's it, you're still you and I hope that they can at least respect that. If they say they want to pray for you it's a good thing, it means they care because from their perspective they think they are helpingyou by doing that (even if we know they aren't, it's the intent).
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
I had a similar situation as Demonaura so I don't really know how your situation exactly are.

But I can imagine that it could be really tough. Anyhow otherwise I agree with the others here. It's just telling that you are an atheist and stand up for it. How they react isn't really up to you, that's there problem.

THis may easy for me to say that sits several miles away in anothers country. But what I've learned and what I know is that you should never be afraid of an argument or keep secrets about who you are.

One thing you could is telling someone besides you parents first, if you haven't done that allready, and that person perhaps can support you. That's a thing that could help alot I imagine.
(April 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm)gandreae Wrote: Does anyone have suggestions of how to come out to my parents? Idk what to do and feel trapped when I have to go to church every sunday I'm home and also the worst part is I go to a religious affiliated school so I'm required to go to chapel twice a week. I guess freedom of religion doesn't exist in private school. Enough rambling. If anyone has any suggestions it would be really helpful, thanks so much.

I wish I could help you but even standing up to the teachers at Catholic School doesn't really equate (especially as I didn't consider myself atheist at that time, more a believer in gods as aliens so I suppose I was just weird) or even my father since I never specifically told him I didn't believe. What WWLD says sounds sensible (I gather you have talked at greater length with her) in that it would be better to get 1 person to understand and perhaps support you first.

All I can say is good luck and if you need answers to specific questions we'll do our best.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(April 23, 2009 at 4:30 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: All I can say is good luck and if you need answers to specific questions we'll do our best.

My sentiments exactly. I was fortunate enough never to be in that situation so I cannot give any worthwhile advice on it, only moral support for what that is worth.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I grew up going to church, but eventually I stopped going about a year ago. It happened gradually I suppose, and at first, I was simply an agnostic - I didn't know what I believed. But now, I'm definitely an atheist. As far as my mum (by far the most fundamentalist) is concerned, she figured it out herself. Dad is happy for me to make my own mind up.

So I haven't had the same situation, but I think you just go ahead and do it. Like WWLD said, try talking to your dad first. And in the end, if either of them blow up/get angry/etc, stand your ground. Remember that it is more reasonable to think freely, and don't be afraid to have your own opinion.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
(April 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm)Demonaura Wrote: I never had to do this myself, I was lucky and my family is largely atheist (of the don't really care variety) and those that aren't are accepted. VERY lucky.

However from what I have seen honesty is important, you can't be afraid to be yourself. It may surprise your parents, and we cannot fault them for that.

I know a lot of people here can speak with more experience on this than me so I'll keep my advice to this: Remind them you are still their child. You still love them and you have not changed, you are not an evil person nor do you think they are. You simply do not beleive in god, whatever your reason.

That's it, you're still you and I hope that they can at least respect that.

Same

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coming Out TheJefe817 8 1156 April 1, 2023 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1769 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4173 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1641 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5536 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  It's coming up to that time of year again... The Valkyrie 40 12294 September 23, 2017 at 11:49 am
  Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist? godlessheatheness 45 4772 April 7, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7050 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
  what do you think about immortality coming? Rextos 61 7794 March 6, 2016 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Cato
  Demons coming down... Veritas 32 7098 December 25, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Alex K