Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Morality of Necromancy
The Morality of Necromancy
I doubt anyone cares about this, but it's been bothering me for a week. Pick up any fantasy book, movie, or game, and there's a very good chance that the antagonist is a necromancer. And more importantly, there are never any necromancer protagonists. Why?

The obvious answer- they resurrect corpses, and corpses are icky. (And sometimes hungry for flesh.) But from a logical standpoint, necromancy is not only affective (for obvious reasons- you can create an army of mindless slaves who don't need rights because they have no more intelligence than a flea), but also more moral than non-necromancy. How can the so-called heroes justify sending a live army to go murder some goblins when they could just ask their local necromancer to send a graveyard full of the undead to do it? If you send the living to fight when you could send the dead, are you not causelessly murdering live soldiers?

Maybe instead of questing to burn the friendly neighborhood necromancer at the stake, an army should put him on its payroll?

Why are necromancers always the bad guys?

[Image: motivationalnecromancy.jpg]

Tee hee. . .love this picture.

[Image: necromancy.jpg]
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
RE: The Morality of Necromancy
No necromancer protagonists? You're wrong and obviously you don't read enough crappy fantasy written for teenage girls. Big Grin
Here's one with a necromancer as protagonist:

[Image: 513xwaRPjjL.jpg]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Necromancy isn't really the resurrection of corpses, or raising armies of undead.
In traditional occultic tradition it is generally understood with contacting the spirits from the Limbo or even afterlife. It generally deals with the unterwerfung and usage of these spirits, ghosts and other beings. In terms of folk tradition, this can also be applied to folk magicians who use familiars to do their spells.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
In my opinion, necromancy is an attempt to communicate with the dead.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
It's never portrayed as a friendly relationship between the recently resurrected and the necromancer. Option a) it's a shambling, brainless husk/skeleton as intelligent as a rock, option b) The zombie/skeleton/ghoul/ghost has some-to-all of intelligence left and is forced to carry out orders for their master against its will, and is often in constant pain.

Also, it's the deceased's body, they almost always have no say. If the resurrected are volunteers then not much of a problem (though volunteers for the procedure are never portrayed as both sane and moral).

Also, it's fantasy, there is often an afterlife of sorts. If you're bringing things back rather than just animating dead tissue then a) you're bringing back someone who really shouldn't be brought back because their currently being tortured b) or you're bringing someone back from a paradise (or stopping them from ever arriving) and causing them anguish.

Resurrected, volunteers? You mean like people who have signed a death contract?
Dustmen and allBig Grin
[Image: Dhall.jpg]
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not another morality post!! Mechaghostman2 5 736 February 18, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  morality is subjective and people don't have free will Catholic_Lady 355 84433 June 6, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  The morality of gay bodily donations Foxaèr 9 1382 May 10, 2014 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  The morality of the working class. Brian37 4 1759 October 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  On morality: Death vs extreme suffering Edwardo Piet 23 10889 January 28, 2010 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality lukec 11 4132 January 23, 2010 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  A Question of Morality LukeMC 15 5394 September 21, 2009 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet