Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Skyrim DLC
RE: New Skyrim DLC
(September 10, 2012 at 10:28 am)frankiej Wrote: Me... Tongue

I don't like first person very much.

Get the fuck off this thread please.
I wish I had a gaming PC. I've played BF3 and Skyrim on the Xbox and they don't even compare. Modern game companies are slowly getting worse. Fallout 3 had almost no problems on the PS3 (it's what I've heard at least). New Vegas, although not a Bethesda game, was pretty bad on the PS3. Skyrim was bad on the PS3 but from my experience it was still better than NV. The problem with Skyrim was that they designed it for the Xbox and then ported it to other systems. That's clearly a bit greedy. Oblivion was great on all platforms not to mention more complex. Morrowind-back in '03- was Beth's first experience with Elder Scrolls on consoles. It goes without saying it was not too great. Otherwise, it was a masterpiece, much better than super-simplified Skyrim. A "true" RPG.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
Does Skyrim have books you can read? Can you equip mismatching pauldrons? They were pretty much the coolest parts of previous Elder Scrolls games. I know you couldn't read books or equip separate bits of armor in TES:4.5 (AKA Fallout 3), which was stupid. I mean they had the terminals, but it just wasn't the same, maaaan. I don't want to use a computer on a computer. Don't be breaking the fourth wall and reminding me I'm burning time on a useless endeavour! I want to read a book, damn it - a real hard cover book. On a computer. Now that's classy time killing.

Also, seriously, what's the point of equipping cool armour if you use first-person all the time and never see it? Yeah yeah, it's better defense or whatever, but no one cares about that shit! You can't screenshot defense! You can't triple stamp a double stamp! Which brings me to my next unrelated point: actually nevermind goodbye.
(September 11, 2012 at 12:37 am)Tempus Wrote: Also, seriously, what's the point of equipping cool armour if you use first-person all the time and never see it? Yeah yeah, it's better defense or whatever, but no one cares about that shit! You can't screenshot defense! You can't triple stamp a double stamp! Which brings me to my next unrelated point: actually nevermind goodbye.

Eh, I actually prefer first person. I find it more immersive. However, you have a point- I want to see my character. I wish more games would let you actually look down and see your legs and body in first person. There's a Skyrim mod for it, but it hasn't been updated in forever. . .

But Skyrim does have books you can read- they're just really short. As in, a couple of pages. I downloaded a couple of mods to add about 300 total new books to the game, though, so that might be good if I ever get around to playing the game, and not just downloading tons of mods. . .
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
(September 11, 2012 at 12:37 am)Tempus Wrote: Does Skyrim have books you can read?

Yes, many of them are very interesting.

Quote:Can you equip mismatching pauldrons?

No, but you get more choice over your armour than in Fallout. You can equip boots/chestplate/pauldrons/helmets all separately. Plus there's a huge (and I mean huge) amount of clothing to choose from.

Quote:I know you couldn't read books or equip separate bits of armor in TES:4.5 (AKA Fallout 3), which was stupid.

Fallout 3 wasn't TES 4.5, so drawing those comparisons is pretty stupid

Quote: I mean they had the terminals, but it just wasn't the same, maaaan. I don't want to use a computer on a computer. Don't be breaking the fourth wall and reminding me I'm burning time on a useless endeavour! I want to read a book, damn it - a real hard cover book. On a computer. Now that's classy time killing.

The terminals were just a minigame mostly, only in very few situations did they have any real information on them, equivalent at all to the elder scrolls.

Quote:Also, seriously, what's the point of equipping cool armour if you use first-person all the time and never see it? Yeah yeah, it's better defense or whatever, but no one cares about that shit! You can't screenshot defense! You can't triple stamp a double stamp! Which brings me to my next unrelated point: actually nevermind goodbye.

No one said you have to be in first person all the time. Hell, I spend a shit ton of time just panning the camera out admiring how badass and awesome my character looks. But when it comes to actually playing, 3rd person sucks. Combat is crap. Archery in 3rd person is practically impossible. Admittedly, 2 handed weapons in 3rd person is pretty cool, but apart from that you lose all the intensity of what makes the game so immersive. You miss out on the tactile interactions with the world and your enemies. The game just becomes like any other hack and slash adventure game, and less of an immersive, visceral RPG.
(September 11, 2012 at 9:47 am)Napoléon Wrote: Yes, many of them are very interesting.

Ah good Big Grin I remember one funny book in Oblivion which was ostensibly about the relationship of an Argonian (or however it's spelled) maid and her master, but full of sexual innuendo. I can't recall, but the Argonian maid probably had some hilarious name like "cleans-on-all-fours" or "bends-over-easy" (maybe not that forthright, but whatever).

(September 11, 2012 at 9:47 am)Napoléon Wrote: No, but you get more choice over your armour than in Fallout. You can equip boots/chestplate/pauldrons/helmets all separately. Plus there's a huge (and I mean huge) amount of clothing to choose from.

But... can you wear cloaks over armour?

(September 11, 2012 at 9:47 am)Napoléon Wrote: Fallout 3 wasn't TES 4.5, so drawing those comparisons is pretty stupid

Having modded both Oblivion and FO3, I'd say they're pretty similar in many ways, although in terms of content there's obvious thematic differences. Most of the differences between the two are, in my opinion, cosmetic. Not that I'm denying functional differences like gun mechanics, of course. That being said, I wasn't being entirely serious Tongue

(September 11, 2012 at 9:47 am)Napoléon Wrote: No one said you have to be in first person all the time. Hell, I spend a shit ton of time just panning the camera out admiring how badass and awesome my character looks. But when it comes to actually playing, 3rd person sucks. Combat is crap. Archery in 3rd person is practically impossible. Admittedly, 2 handed weapons in 3rd person is pretty cool, but apart from that you lose all the intensity of what makes the game so immersive. You miss out on the tactile interactions with the world and your enemies. The game just becomes like any other hack and slash adventure game, and less of an immersive, visceral RPG.

No one said you had to take my post seriously Big Grin I don't really mind either. One game that had sweet first person was Republic Commando. I'd probably like Skyrim, but I promised myself I wouldn't buy any bottomless games again. (I actually made that decision after playing Empire: Total War for like a week and still not finishing the campaign... still, it was fun!)
So... no quests added? I mean its good but lets be real about this, they stole that idea from PC mods.
The only thing they've added is abit of voice acting.

Do you remember when DLC used to... I don't know... add to the game as opposed to catching up with the fan made mods?
Most of Hearthfire is based on what teenagers did on their weekends without breaking a sweat or charging for it.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(September 13, 2012 at 7:21 am)Tempus Wrote: Ah good Big Grin I remember one funny book in Oblivion which was ostensibly about the relationship of an Argonian (or however it's spelled) maid and her master, but full of sexual innuendo. I can't recall, but the Argonian maid probably had some hilarious name like "cleans-on-all-fours" or "bends-over-easy" (maybe not that forthright, but whatever).

The book is called "The Lusty Argonian Maid" & the main character was named Lifts-Her-Tail.

Just throwing that out there.

(September 13, 2012 at 7:43 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: So... no quests added? I mean its good but lets be real about this, they stole that idea from PC mods.

Yup, there is a mod on the Steam workshop that does most of what Hearthfire does, sans children, voice acting & a lot of polish.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(September 13, 2012 at 7:21 am)Tempus Wrote: But... can you wear cloaks over armour?

Not that I know of, I'm sure there's a mod out there for it though.

Quote:
(September 11, 2012 at 9:47 am)Napoléon Wrote: Fallout 3 wasn't TES 4.5, so drawing those comparisons is pretty stupid

Having modded both Oblivion and FO3, I'd say they're pretty similar in many ways, although in terms of content there's obvious thematic differences. Most of the differences between the two are, in my opinion, cosmetic. Not that I'm denying functional differences like gun mechanics, of course. That being said, I wasn't being entirely serious Tongue

Serious or not I still don't think it's fair to call Fallout 3 TES 4.5. Just because they are made by the same dev doesn't mean they are good representations of what either universe/gameworld is all about. You made a comment about not being able to read books in Fallout and saying it was stupid, but it's a different game world, and most of the books in Fallout are destroyed due to the world being a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Wouldn't make much sense for them to invest time in writing books in this circumstance IMO, so, serious or not, it was still stupid a stupid comparison to make, as you clearly overlooked this fact Wink

Quote:No one said you had to take my post seriously

No one said I didn't have to either, I'm just giving my opinion's to your comments. As you point out you're perfectly free to take them as seriously as you like.

Quote: I don't really mind either. One game that had sweet first person was Republic Commando. I'd probably like Skyrim, but I promised myself I wouldn't buy any bottomless games again. (I actually made that decision after playing Empire: Total War for like a week and still not finishing the campaign... still, it was fun!)

Republic Commando was a class game! I only ever hired it out though, but I remember it being pretty fricking epic.

And fair enough, Skyrim isn't everyone's cup of tea but if you like RPG's it's certainly up there with the best.

(September 13, 2012 at 7:43 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Do you remember when DLC used to... I don't know... add to the game as opposed to catching up with the fan made mods?

DLC nowadays just seems like a tactic for the mega-companies (namely Electronic Farts) to rip off the customer for shit they should have included in the game already.
(September 13, 2012 at 10:15 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(September 13, 2012 at 7:43 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Do you remember when DLC used to... I don't know... add to the game as opposed to catching up with the fan made mods?

DLC nowadays just seems like a tactic for the mega-companies (namely Electronic Farts) to rip off the customer for shit they should have included in the game already.

Oh I'd definitely agree with that. Personally I'm hoping EA goes down the drain to rejoin the sewage they once emerged from.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skyrim: Empire vs Stormcloak discussion. Chad32 14 1631 August 1, 2019 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Chad32
  BOTW vs. Skyrim Mechaghostman2 7 1784 June 19, 2019 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Skyrim Upgrade :D mlmooney89 89 8441 July 13, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
Heart Skyrim Fenix 10 3838 January 18, 2014 at 2:03 am
Last Post: null--69
  Skyrim's been out a while. Violet 188 61982 September 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Skyrim thesummerqueen 19 4464 March 24, 2013 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Skyrim Countdown R-e-n-n-a-t 183 52657 January 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm