Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assault weapons ban update: Senate committee holds hearing on proposed ban
Lightbulb 
Assault weapons ban update: Senate committee holds hearing on proposed ban

Washington CNN Article

[Image: WPTV_AR-15_rifle_assault_ammunition_bull...20_240.JPG]It may be politically quixotic, but Sen. Dianne Feinstein proceeded undeterred Wednesday in seeking an updated version of the assault weapons ban she sponsored in 1994 that expired a decade later.

Quote:"In Congress, some influential Democrats join virtually all Republicans in opposing, or at least questioning, a renewed ban on semi-automatic weapons like the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle used in the Newtown shootings.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who gets high marks from the NRA for his opposition to past gun control efforts, has indicated support for expanding background checks but refuses to endorse a new weapons ban.

According to Reid, a bill from the Judiciary Committee was unlikely to include an updated weapons ban, but he would allow a vote on the provision during floor debate.

Such a vote would amount to Feinstein's last stand on the issue."
[Image: white-cloud-emoticon6.gif?1292330538]
Then there was a man who said, “I never knew what real happiness was until I got married; by then it was too late." Anonymous
RE: Assault weapons ban update: Senate committee holds hearing on proposed ban
Well, the 1994-2004 ban did nothing to reduce crime, so another will do just the same.

This is political theater.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
RE: Assault weapons ban update: Senate committee holds hearing on proposed ban
When it comes to constituents, I think all the politicians on the Hill are keen actors in political theater.
I've sat in on a few sessions at the local legislative hall. One can almost see how all the issues were decided behind closed doors long before the members got on the floor to make their arguments.
[Image: white-cloud-emoticon6.gif?1292330538]
Then there was a man who said, “I never knew what real happiness was until I got married; by then it was too late." Anonymous

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Women and Assault FrustratedFool 17 1109 September 2, 2023 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Jan. 6 Committee Fake Messiah 106 9309 November 29, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Senate Trial has started. Brian37 95 3101 February 15, 2021 at 7:22 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  I come to this hearing with the deepest sadness. onlinebiker 10 922 December 19, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Impeachment Update onlinebiker 50 3524 December 13, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Rabid Republicans in Oregon senate Rev. Rye 5 589 June 22, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  transgender military ban to go into effect Fake Messiah 20 2474 January 25, 2019 at 12:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Toxic masculinity and sexual assault RobbyPants 71 5622 September 30, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  How Bad Is The Senate Tax Bill? Minimalist 41 6011 December 12, 2017 at 5:14 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Senate Republicunt Assholes Prepare Their Own Tax Plan Minimalist 7 1265 November 9, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Brian37