Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning Morals from games thread.
RE: Learning Morals from games thread.
Haha I've just gotten back into yuri's revenge again, like 2 days ago. The red alert series taught me about the perils of messing around with time machines.
Erm, renegade options in ME3 made me feel genuine guilt, tuchanka in particular.

Bioshock taught me about the wonders of objectivism and Ayn Rand.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(March 19, 2013 at 11:34 am)Stue Denim Wrote: Bioshock taught me about the wonders of objectivism and Ayn Rand.

I'm playing Bioshock for the first time, knowing nothing of the game beforehand, and the first impression I had of Rapture was that, if you stripped down the mutants and other fanciful fluff, you have the ideal Tea Party dystopia.
In Rome total war, I learned, that after concquering a country the best thing to do in order to keep the place from revolting, is to massacre the entire civilian population.

Tongue
I've learned a lot from the people I have played with but not much from the games themselves.
Once whilest playing "Red Dead Redemption" online, I joined a game of poker.

I won 4 or 5 times in a row, by bluffing each time.

after the last time I won, another player turned on his microphone and screamed:

"FUCK YOU NIGGA!"

and then left the game.
(March 19, 2013 at 6:18 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Once whilest playing "Red Dead Redemption" online, I joined a game of poker.

You do know you can ride horses and shoot people on that game right?
In the spirit of the thread, in playing Sins of a Solar Empire - I found that the peaceful spread of Advent culture and religion was no match for the violence of action that accompanied Vasari missiles, or the seemingly endless supply of gristle for the mills provided by the TEC economic juggernaut.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Thinking about it, games with moral decisions usually end up with the lesson of: If you try to be the good guy you will have to do twice as much for half the reward and be shit on the entire way.
If you hold someone's life in your hands, crushing them without mercy is far more amusing than benevolence. (Learned from The Sims)

Similarly, it is far more fun to hit "people" (I'm using the word loosely here) in the heads with a shovel and push them around than it is to talk to them, give them letters, and give them presents. (Learned from Animal Crossing)

When something is too hard to be fun, cheat. (Learned from every game ever)
LOL< games allow us to express those parts of ourselves which we otherwise keep in check with the convenience and practicality of not carrying the consequences of those actions (such as the harm they may cause). Good healthy stuff right there - better than whipping ones self to drive out "a demon"..anyway.

Cheater is just a word losers like to use when the winner comes up with a novel strategy first. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upcoming games you want to play Foxaèr 13 2026 October 6, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  What are your top 5 video games of all time? T0 Th3 M4X 80 8369 May 22, 2022 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: emjay
  I sucked at video games. Brian37 16 2957 July 18, 2021 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The issue with Match-3 games Foxaèr 4 443 August 15, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stream Switch games without a capture card. Mechaghostman2 0 376 November 24, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Any sci-fi open world games? Mechaghostman2 9 1877 September 27, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Games still to be released in 2018 Foxaèr 9 1152 June 2, 2018 at 12:32 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Of new homes and video games. Brian37 7 1152 May 25, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  No evidence to support link between violent video games and behavior Gawdzilla Sama 12 1806 January 21, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Anybody here have any favorite Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games? ƵenKlassen 7 1220 November 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Cecelia