Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AF Hall of Fallacies
RE: AF Hall of Fallacies
(January 4, 2017 at 2:03 am)robvalue Wrote: There is a name for this kind of technique, where you bombard someone with so much crap that they can't respond to it all and end up overwhelmed: "Gish gallop". The person's confusion and inability to address it all is taken as victory.

It's often employed by scummy money making apologists like Ray Comfort.

I heard about that, except it wouldn't revolve around questions, just basically unwarranted assumptions. Basically like someone who was invited to a party inviting a bunch of their friends who weren't invited and aren't welcome but they barge in anyway. I guess it's too similar to other fallacies to have its own name, but I feel like it should be under a specific label even if I can't put my finger on it.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
It's sort of a slippery slope fallacy I guess, as well. If this is true, then this other thing which is a bit like it is also true, and then this other thing is also true and...
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 4, 2017 at 2:08 am)robvalue Wrote: It's sort of a slippery slope fallacy I guess, as well. If this is true, then this other thing which is a bit like it is also true, and then this other thing is also true and...

Huh. I thought slippery slopes were used in a different context, but I can see how that would make sense. The minute you let one little point into a category that is favorable to them, it opens the floodgate to all the other bullshit they want to ascribe to it arbitrarily. Actually that sounds more like "Give them and inch and they take a mile". But that's not exactly a fallacy, more like a cliche. Or is there a fallacy that covers that idea?
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
Exactly, yeah. I can't think of a specific name for that. It's one of a number of dishonest techniques.

Like Thump said, it's a string of non sequiturs.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 4, 2017 at 2:18 am)robvalue Wrote: Exactly, yeah. I can't think of a specific name for that. It's one of a number of dishonest techniques.

You know, I've really got to start talking with some more of my friends who are interested in reforming the English language to accommodate the evolution of words. We can invent new ones for things like that, and what with new gender identity terms and such, there's room for new words in other contexts too. Personally I'm more interested in reforming the standard English alphabet, and giving each sound its own character, and getting rid of some of the unnecessary things like C, which can easily be replaced by 'S' and 'K'. But that's kind of off-topic. Still, it would be nice if this particular set of fallacious add-ons had a formal name, possibly even if there are certain specific variations of it. Like if you're just trying to sneak one extra caveat in, or if you shoehorn several. And if they're at least closely related or completely disconnected non-sequiturs.

---

(January 4, 2017 at 2:08 am)robvalue Wrote: It's sort of a slippery slope fallacy I guess, as well. If this is true, then this other thing which is a bit like it is also true, and then this other thing is also true and...

The way I learnt of the Gish Gallop, many years ago, is that it is a bombardment of questions, one after the other, giving one no time to answer one question in particular because each have complex answer. In that sense, it's a rhetorical device used to shut down conversation by shoveling on so many assumptions that unraveling them takes so much time that the audience does of boredom, losing sight of the original point: "Aha, but you didn't answer this, therefore I'm right!" is the explicit or assumed conclusion.

(January 4, 2017 at 2:35 am)Astonished Wrote:
(January 4, 2017 at 2:18 am)robvalue Wrote: Exactly, yeah. I can't think of a specific name for that. It's one of a number of dishonest techniques.

You know, I've really got to start talking with some more of my friends who are interested in reforming the English language to accommodate the evolution of words. We can invent new ones for things like that, and what with new gender identity terms and such, there's room for new words in other contexts too. Personally I'm more interested in reforming the standard English alphabet, and giving each sound its own character, and getting rid of some of the unnecessary things like C, which can easily be replaced by 'S' and 'K'. But that's kind of off-topic. Still, it would be nice if this particular set of fallacious add-ons had a formal name, possibly even if there are certain specific variations of it. Like if you're just trying to sneak one extra caveat in, or if you shoehorn several. And if they're at least closely related or completely disconnected non-sequiturs.

The beauty of the English language is that it is so malleable. "Gish Gallop" is an example, recruiting the metaphor of a horse at full speed to describe a barrage of questions launched so quickly that invariably one or more gets missed, launching the "Aha!" phase.

It's often equivocating two vague definitions of the word "God".

So I'd say it's the equivocation fallacy. It's also a non-sequitur because technically every single fallacy involves non-sequiturs.

I think.
Are formal fallacies -are- non sequiturs.  That which does not follow.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fallacies and tactics LinuxGal 1 456 August 10, 2023 at 9:51 am
Last Post: no one
  [Serious] Fallacies & Strategies John 6IX Breezy 88 7794 August 10, 2023 at 6:02 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 980 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  All Logical Fallacies Heat 20 2608 April 3, 2016 at 10:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Flashy site for logical fallacies. Tiberius 12 5189 August 27, 2012 at 5:07 am
Last Post: Tempus
  Logical Fallacies Chris.Roth 45 21625 July 8, 2012 at 9:03 am
Last Post: dean211284
  Common Apologist Fallacies DeistPaladin 20 11354 July 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin