Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Push me over the edge ! (Deconversion!)
Push me over the edge ! (Deconversion!)
Hi y'all !

I have been a bad Christian for the most of my life, I was raised in a extremely christian house, but ever since i started reading the bible i am ashamed to say that i laughed at some of the things in there... like God not finding Adam and Eve in the garden, all the silly mosaic laws, and even in the new testament it seems like Paul and Jesus are saying exactly the opposite things...

ANd because I knew of these contradictions, I never really obeyed the Bible, i tried very hard for a while but then i noticed blah what the hell am i doing.
Like you know how it is, if you know something is bullshit, its hard to like keep doing it ?

Well, pissed off, i roam the internet for months searching for "The right religion", I instantly crossed out all non-hell religions cause hey, if theres no hell, i dont wanna believe in anything. I just wanna live my life.

BUT: Then I found Islam and it all made perfect sense when i listened to the sermons, oh its this easy see, one God, worship him, thats it.
But rest be assured, it was not that simple, once you open up the Quran it has the same things in it as the BIble, i cant even tell them apart, the stories are quite similar with minor differences.

SO now: I am back in square one.
I still believe in God for whatever reason, its just hard for me to let go of, and i feel bad for mocking God and the Bible, yet I still do it ?

Long story short: PLEASE PUSH ME OVER THE EDGE AND DECONVERT ME TO A POINT WHERE I AM COMFORTABLE SAYING IM AN ATHEIST.

I know you have the resources for you are the smartest people on earth.
RE: Push me over the edge ! (Deconversion!)
Of course the Quran and Bible are the same. The Quran is based from the Bible. The Bible are Jewish base stories, and it become an endless circular logic story.

It is easy to let it go. The books/stories are from the Bronze Age. Do you still cling to your Bronze Age Armor? Think of them as fairy tales, similar to Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.

Its all silly and a good laugh.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
"I still believe in God for whatever reason"

Well I think you need to identify what that reason is before you can proceed. You probably also need to ask yourself about your God - is he/she a hands on kind of God or merely the creator?

Get to that point and you probably won't really need anyone else's help - but if you do....
(June 18, 2013 at 6:53 am)Mzungu Wrote: Long story short: PLEASE PUSH ME OVER THE EDGE AND DECONVERT ME TO A POINT WHERE I AM COMFORTABLE SAYING IM AN ATHEIST.
It is not our job to"push you over the edge" as you so quaintly put it.
You find atheism by the light of your own reasoning and doubt. No one else can do it for you
Quote:I know you have the resources for you are the smartest people on earth.
Not even close, but thank you for the compliment.

P.s Hi from Western Australia.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Thanks for your replies guys !

And to you who asked: I consider God a creator, and I believe He doesnt really interfere in our lives the way christians say.
I can find my car keys on my own.

Also it seems silly to me that the creator of the entire universe would be concerned about what we do with our penises. but thats just me.

I hope i dont get owned by Jesus 2: This time, Its personal!
[Image: dangerous_cliff_edge_630_Flickr.jpg]
(June 18, 2013 at 6:53 am)Mzungu Wrote: Hi y'all !

I have been a bad Christian for the most of my life, I was raised in a extremely christian house, but ever since i started reading the bible i am ashamed to say that i laughed at some of the things in there... like God not finding Adam and Eve in the garden, all the silly mosaic laws, and even in the new testament it seems like Paul and Jesus are saying exactly the opposite things...

ANd because I knew of these contradictions, I never really obeyed the Bible, i tried very hard for a while but then i noticed blah what the hell am i doing.
Like you know how it is, if you know something is bullshit, its hard to like keep doing it ?

Well, pissed off, i roam the internet for months searching for "The right religion", I instantly crossed out all non-hell religions cause hey, if theres no hell, i dont wanna believe in anything. I just wanna live my life.

BUT: Then I found Islam and it all made perfect sense when i listened to the sermons, oh its this easy see, one God, worship him, thats it.
But rest be assured, it was not that simple, once you open up the Quran it has the same things in it as the BIble, i cant even tell them apart, the stories are quite similar with minor differences.

SO now: I am back in square one.
I still believe in God for whatever reason, its just hard for me to let go of, and i feel bad for mocking God and the Bible, yet I still do it ?

Long story short: PLEASE PUSH ME OVER THE EDGE AND DECONVERT ME TO A POINT WHERE I AM COMFORTABLE SAYING IM AN ATHEIST.

I know you have the resources for you are the smartest people on earth.

Don't want to push you, but maybe a nice label would help: right now, you are what is known in the biz as an agnostic theist. As long as you believe in God, just be that. Or maybe a deist if you decide the God you believe in created the universe and then just backed off.

No law says you have to be an atheist just because you don't believe in the Christian God.

If you WANT to be an atheist, I'm sure it will happen naturally. One day you'll realize you don't beieve in God anymore. That's how it was with me, and I didn't even have becoming an atheist as a goal.
Here is a suggestion.

Go to youtube and watch a bunch of episodes of The Atheist Experience. You will learn how to logically approach the concept of deities and the thought processes of atheism.

If you are questioning, it will be the best time you ever spent.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
Quote: its just hard for me to let go of

Did you let go of Santa Claus? It is pretty much the same thing. Naughty or nice? Coal or Toys?

If you can let that go why not an amorphous concept like "god?"
(June 18, 2013 at 8:24 am)Mzungu Wrote: Thanks for your replies guys !

And to you who asked: I consider God a creator, and I believe He doesnt really interfere in our lives the way christians say.
I can find my car keys on my own.

Also it seems silly to me that the creator of the entire universe would be concerned about what we do with our penises. but thats just me.

I hope i dont get owned by Jesus 2: This time, Its personal!

Well if you want a label I'd call you a Deist rather than a Theist. You believe in a creator God who doesn't get involved in earthly matters.

Seems fine to me. Your penis is your own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deconversion of a Preacher's Son Old Baby 2 1364 February 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My strange deconversion Excited Penguin 20 4383 July 8, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5281 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4501 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  A Southern Baptist's Deconversion Revisited L.A.F.2. 1 1686 October 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  My Deconversion ComradeMeow 2 1699 August 21, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  The deconversion of the preacher's kid christianatheist 11 3895 August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: JimmyM35
  not a recent deconversion xpastor 13 4676 September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Deconversion gilbertc06 0 1157 September 22, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: gilbertc06
  Deconversion process help me Bohook24 23 11372 June 14, 2013 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas