Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TX Republicans kill filibuster, essentially ending abortion in state
TX Republicans kill filibuster, essentially ending abortion in state
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-5759...on-limits/

When the bill becomes law, abortion will be illegal in Texas if performed after 20th week of pregnancy and all abortion clinics must be upgraded to be considered "ambulatory surgical centers." Also, all doctors have to have admitting privileges to a hospital within 30 miles which isn't exactly easy in sparcely populated west Texas.

Sometimes I really hate living in this state. >Sad
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: TX Republicans kill filibuster, essentially ending abortion in state
The news is reporting that the senate killed the filibuster but failed to pass the bill.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(June 26, 2013 at 7:17 am)popeyespappy Wrote: The news is reporting that the senate killed the filibuster but failed to pass the bill.

Yeah, I noticed. I posted the original message in that short little window where we all thought it had passed. It's a really strange story: there was a filibuster that the senate killed and they voted on the bill. They had to pass the bill before midnight for it to become law a the bill was voted on at about 12:02 AM. I'm glad it got shot down, but I can't help but think this is only going to be temporary.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Sometimes I wish Texas would secede already and become the Republic of Jesusland that all the fundies want so badly.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Screw that. The Fundys ain't getting my state. My ancestors fought in the War of Indepence for the Republic of Texas.

I ain't letting a bunch of Jesustards having it uncontested.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(June 26, 2013 at 2:48 am)TaraJo Wrote: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-5759...on-limits/

Too bad that Gawds Own Party wasn't able to doctor the records like they wanted to. According to the article:

Quote:But after official computer records and printouts of the voting record showed the vote took place Wednesday, and then were changed to read Tuesday, senators retreated into a private meeting to reach a conclusion.

I'd love to know how the Demoncrats stopped them. We're really going to have to get better at cheating for Jesus if we want to win. We used to be so good at this, back in 2000 and 2004. Where did we lose our touch?

I'm going to have to pray on that.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
Unless mother's life is at danger, I agree with banning abortion after 20th week.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

What business is it of yours if someone you don't know has or doesn't have a kid?
(June 26, 2013 at 10:28 am)wwjs Wrote: Unless mother's life is at danger, I agree with banning abortion after 20th week.

Pretty much these are the laws now. AFAIK, you can't just walk into an abortion clinic after week 21 and say "I've changed my mind". A 3rd trimester abortion requires some medical emergency to be authorized.

I may be wrong but that's my understand. Please correct me if anyone knows better.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
If the Republicans would have succeeded in this it would have shut down something like 46 out of the 51 abortion clinics here in Texas. One of those that would have closed is a Planned Parenthood clinic right down the road from me literally less than a mile from where I sit. The only ones available would have been in our major cities that millions of people would have to drive for hours to reach.

Thank goodness they failed.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 2870 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 1920 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1013 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3126 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An honest question for the Republicans Foxaèr 26 1167 November 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
  Separation of Science and State John 6IX Breezy 233 9677 November 19, 2020 at 7:44 am
  Why is Vatican a state? Fake Messiah 13 1201 November 11, 2020 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Question About Republicans DeistPaladin 13 1217 September 22, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 796 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
Big Grin Democrats VS Republicans I believe in Harry Potter 17 1920 October 28, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Alan V