Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do christians make up lies when a famous atheist dies?
Why do christians make up lies when a famous atheist dies?
I have seen them do it to Many people and wonder why do they throw principle aside like that
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Why do christians make up lies when a famous atheist dies?
Examples?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Darwin.

Robert Green Ingersoll noted this tendency.

Quote:Orthodox Christians have the habit of claiming all great men, all men who have held important positions, men of reputation, men of wealth. As soon as the funeral is over clergymen begin to relate imaginary conversations with the deceased, and in a very little while the great man is changed to a Christian -- possibly to a saint.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "The Religious Belief of Abraham Lincoln"
I've heard of the Darwin one. I just assumed there'd be more, the way the OP is talking. I'm just curious to hear some of the things they've said. I don't put it past fundamentalists to stoop to such nefarious tactics.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 10, 2013 at 10:07 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I've heard of the Darwin one. I just assumed there'd be more, the way the OP is talking. I'm just curious to hear some of the things they've said. I don't put it past fundamentalists to stoop to such nefarious tactics.
Christopher hitchens and Robert Ingersoll himself are 2 more examples. They said hitchens did a full about face and pleaded to god, which is a fallacious rumor at best. As for Robert Ingersoll they said he start spewing depressing poetry as he died. Intact he did say anything as he died he just smiled at his wife. Google it
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Lincoln is another example and in fact many of the early Presidents were far from being theistic weenies like we get around here.

There was a book written about it...up to FDR I think.
(September 10, 2013 at 10:16 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: They said hitchens did a full about face and pleaded to god, which is a fallacious rumor at best.

Who said this?

(September 10, 2013 at 10:16 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Google it

I'm not going to google the evidence for one of your claims.
Hitchins wife felt compelled to issue a statement denying it.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/christ...bed-81283/
Remember how the Founding Fathers were all deeply devout Christians who founded this nation's laws on the Ten Commandments and other Biblical laws and established the separation of church and state to protect the rights of everybody to worship Jesus Christ, the official deity of the United States?

Neither do I, but there are a staggering number of stupid people who think this is true.
I always loved these two quotes of Abe Lincoln's.

Quote:My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them.
-- Abraham Lincoln, to Judge J S Wakefield

Quote:Oh, that [his Thanksgiving Message] is some of Seward's nonsense, and it pleases the fools.
-- Abraham Lincoln, to Judge James M Nelson, in response to a question from Nelson: "I once asked him about his fervent Thanksgiving Message and twitted him with being an unbeliever in what was published." Quoted from Franklin Steiner, The Religious Beliefs of Our Presidents, p. 138

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12421 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Bible Study: The God who Lies and Deceives Rhondazvous 50 5302 May 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7593 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8383 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 16918 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4678 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3859 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 14828 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 18929 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why did god only make exactly the number of talking animals that he needed? godlessheatheness 41 8457 March 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist