Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Poetry
RE: Great Poetry
Strip Mining, (aka Brian James Rational Poet on FB and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

You are not a shovel

You are not a wrench

You are not there

To simply make them rich

It is all a ploy

Make you sweat

Dangle the carrot

You will never get

Then they throw tantrums

Crying robbery

Merely because you want

Human dignity

Tell me how much

You are suffering

In your downtown penthouse

While the pay gap keeps exploding

Masturbating over

Third world cheap labor

Wanting to replicate it here

Throwing crumbs of cheap oil

In a hunderd years

Your extraction market

Will cost our planet more

And hurt our species more

Quit your strip mining

Quit claiming morality

Merely because of your tax bracket

Making excuses for your greed.

We are not your tools

Merely for you to use

We are not shovels

We are not your dirt

Rise up rise up

Workers arround the world

It is no longer about boarders

It is about our global market

We are being pitted

Against each other

By those with the money

Those with the power

Trickel up is golbal

You and I are shovels

Sold the idea

To be their slave labor

Rise up rise up

Put money it it's place

Not to rid the private sector

Just ot get it to behave

No more strip mining

Humans are not mere numbers

We are not here for you

To simply make you rich.

We are not your tools

Born to make you rich

We are human beings

Who merely want to live
(end)

Also posted here post #519 http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31771?page=10
I often feel bad because poetry doesn't do much for me at all, and many very smart people keep going on about how central it is to their lives. Maybe I haven't found the right kind yet.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 9, 2014 at 9:25 am)Alex K Wrote: I often feel bad because poetry doesn't do much for me at all, and many very smart people keep going on about how central it is to their lives. Maybe I haven't found the right kind yet.

What is to feel bad about? I am not into Picasso. You like what you like. Art is still important. I think no matter what you are into, it should be deeper than crap like WWE or Jerry Springer. I am no fan of critics.

Funny thing, yesterday I was watching a business show about COSTCO and how they pick the wine for their store. What impressed me was the lady who is their top executive who does that. She was no expert in wine when she took the job. But she ultimately said, "You either like it or you don't".

Which is why I hate people stuck on class issues. This lady has her head on right. It isn't about what you pay for something, or what you do for a living. It is about being yourself. When you do that in everything it shows and that includes art. And food and wine and life in general.

If poetry is not your thing, that is fine.
It's The Bible Reloaded
A logic explosion
Like Jesus and Moses
But it's Hugo and Jake!

The bible is jaded
And most of it pagan
So get educated
With Hugo and Jake!

Pull up a pew 'n
Stop what your doin'
It's Bible Reloaded Time!

We're gonna debate it
The theists will hate it
Like Dawkins and Sagan
But it's Hugo and Jake!

So on with the show then
It's not candy coated
It's The Bible Reloaded
With Hugo and Jake!
With Hugo...
...and Jake.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 9, 2014 at 9:25 am)Alex K Wrote: I often feel bad because poetry doesn't do much for me at all, and many very smart people keep going on about how central it is to their lives. Maybe I haven't found the right kind yet.

Like what you want to like. Be yourself and be confident in who you are. If you think poetry is pointless word mangling then say so. It's better to cultivate a decent opinion than worry about whether or not you should have a different opinion and end up being the poetic version of an agnostic.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Normally I find poetry annoying, but that may stem from being forced to over analyze it at school, finding "meaning" that even the author probably hadn't thought of.

I like it a bit more than I used to I think.

I'm busy doing nothing, working the whole day through
Trying to find lots of things not to do
I'm busy doing nothing, isn't it such a crime
I'd like to be unhappy but I really don't have the time.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I haven't found too much poetry that really moves me, but I enjoy reading poetry from a good writer for the tickling it gives my brain. It's refreshing to read of old experiences phrased in new ways.

(December 9, 2014 at 1:01 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I haven't found too much poetry that really moves me, but I enjoy reading poetry from a good writer for the tickling it gives my brain. It's refreshing to read of old experiences phrased in new ways.

There really is nothing new under the sun. The plots in life no matter the code or the schemes, complicated or simplistic in wording are all the same. We communicate in order to do one thing, gain resources.
I find a lot of it to be ponsy.

Index of my best videos
Shooting Star, By Brian37 (aka Brian James Rational Poet on FB and @Brianrrs37"RationalPoet" on Twitter"

How many here

Reading this

Can name

Every President

How many here

Reading this

Can name

Every Pharaoh

How many here

Reading this

Can name every

Prime minister of China

How many here

Reading this

Can name

Every Caesar

How many here

Reading this

Can name all prior

Leaders of the world

How many here

Can name

All the pop icons

Prior to their birth

How many here

Can name

The leaders

Of the Mayans

Fame is local

Fortune is finite

Powers shift

And life goes on

Trump to Tut

Isis to Jesus

Wealth to poverty

We are still finite.

Sagan

As right as he was

Knows that all this

Is Shakespeare's fury

(end)

This poem also hosted at my home poetry thread post #520 herehttp://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31771?page=10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Missed Opportunities in Movies. Gawdzilla Sama 5 663 October 25, 2023 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  AI writes poetry purplepurpose 5 897 February 4, 2023 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  For a great love story Foxaèr 5 651 July 21, 2021 at 11:19 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  A new poetry section was added to my site. WinterHold 24 1773 January 22, 2020 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Crap poetry Cod 13 1364 March 12, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Cod
  Poetry or Lyrics that Inpire you tackattack 7 692 December 11, 2018 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Poetry slam (or close enough) Mr.Obvious 17 1400 November 26, 2018 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Visions With Voices poetry publishes 2 more. Brian37 0 373 July 2, 2018 at 7:32 am
Last Post: Brian37
  "The Spoken Word" Poetry.... Brian37 5 835 April 2, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Poetry: Read and Listen Rhondazvous 14 1961 April 10, 2016 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Little lunch