Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't want to live in this country anymore.
RE: I don't want to live in this country anymore.
Nice. Pretty accurate.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(February 12, 2014 at 7:16 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(February 12, 2014 at 7:12 pm)Insanity Wrote: Are we sure they aren't just confusing astrology with astronomy? People seem to get the names of the two mixed up for some reason. Probably because they are fucking stupid..

Regardless, the fact remains that either way, it's stupid and ignorant.

I get the two terms mixed up sometimes, not just because I'm stupid but because they sound alike. I suspect that may account for a considerable portion of the results.
Quote:I like Americans, honestly.

I'm losing patience with them.
(February 12, 2014 at 7:29 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote:
(February 12, 2014 at 7:16 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Regardless, the fact remains that either way, it's stupid and ignorant.

I get the two terms mixed up sometimes, not just because I'm stupid but because they sound alike. I suspect that may account for a considerable portion of the results.

Fair enough - could be I suppose.
(February 12, 2014 at 6:56 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: According to a survey by the National Science Foundation, a majority of young American adults think astrology is a science.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Blog/201...392135954/

I wouldn't doubt it, I know a lot of people my age that believe in ridiculous shit like that. Sometimes I really don't like my generation. And the sad thing is we grew up with Google, use it!
Considering every generation that came before Gen Y and the millennials, we're still a lot better off in spite of the flaws we still have.
I would like to believe that but the pessimist in me thinks that our generation is just as shitty, we just got better packaging.
(February 12, 2014 at 7:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: LIBRA - Sep 23-Oct 22:
You are the artistic type & have a difficult time with reality. If you are a man you are more than likely queer. Chances for employment & monetary gain are excellent. Most Libra women are good prostitutes. All Libras die of venereal disease.

The Barnum Effect can't possibly be the vehicle to this kind of accuracy.
I've come close on a number of occasions to saying Astrology when I meant Astronomy - its an easy mistake to make.

Hopefully that's a major part of the reason.

OTOH I often catch my wife reading her horoscope and tease her mercilessly about it. She says that bullshit or otherwise if she reads something positive it tends to put her in a good mood for the day. Fortunately they are rarely negative from what I have seen.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(February 13, 2014 at 3:10 am)max-greece Wrote: I've come close on a number of occasions to saying Astrology when I meant Astronomy - its an easy mistake to make.

Hopefully that's a major part of the reason.

OTOH I often catch my wife reading her horoscope and tease her mercilessly about it. She says that bullshit or otherwise if she reads something positive it tends to put her in a good mood for the day. Fortunately they are rarely negative from what I have seen.

I'm a board member of the Louisville Astronomical Society, and people at our events often confuse the word "astrology" with "astronomy", even though they know the difference. It is possible that some got confused when filling out the survey.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you sleep/ live in a haunted house? Fake Messiah 78 5704 April 17, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Damn! How bad did they want to burn up Ted Bundy ? vorlon13 2 1007 December 12, 2016 at 1:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13