Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jerry Springer: I owe you a HUGE public apology!
Jerry Springer: I owe you a HUGE public apology!
Dear Mr Springer, a few years back I compared your show to Dr Phil, saying that his entertainment talk-show was "just as trashy" as yours. I am deeply deeply sorry for ever comparing your show to his.

Whilst I still believe that Phil McGraw emulated your talk show, I also acknowledge that he changed one important aspect of the format - whereas you allow your guests to humiliate themselves and allow the audience to participate, and then give your "final thought" at the end, he humiliates his guests himself, doesn't allow the audience to participate and then gives his "final thought" at the end. He then takes the credit for out-sourced out-patient care offered or given to his guests.

Whilst it's still very clear that your show influenced his, it's also clear he was influenced by Maury Povich to create a trashy show that is in fact far far worse than your entertainment talk show. At least you acknowledge that your show is trashy, at least you don't pretend to take credit for your guest's potential future wellbeing.

Again, I'd like to reiterate how sorry I am for ever comparing a show as trashy as Dr Phil to yours.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Jerry Springer: I owe you a HUGE public apology!
"At least". No sorry, Jerry is a HUGE part of why our society is so fucking stupid. He is why people care about the Karfuckians and Duck Dynasty instead of Neil Degrees Tyson and climate change. Jerry is no one's hero. He only proves the human ability to prey off of the gullibility of others. "Dr. Phil" is also a fucking joke too.
@B37 - What's worse than a trashy entertainment talk show?

For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Jerry Springer was not always such a show as it is now. He was actually a legitimate, decent talk show host. I remember the first show I saw where he had a panel of gay teenagers on the stage, and the discussion I think was in regard to the coming out process and other problems gay people face. Only shortly thereafter did he go the outrageous entertainment route, for reasons which I have never delved into discovering.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 15, 2014 at 10:18 am)Kitanetos Wrote: Jerry Springer was not always such a show as it is now. He was actually a legitimate, decent talk show host. I remember the first show I saw where he had a panel of gay teenagers on the stage, and the discussion I think was in regard to the coming out process and other problems gay people face. Only shortly thereafter did he go the outrageous entertainment route, for reasons which I have never delved into discovering.

Ratings.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(May 15, 2014 at 10:18 am)Kitanetos Wrote: Jerry Springer was not always such a show as it is now. He was actually a legitimate, decent talk show host. I remember the first show I saw where he had a panel of gay teenagers on the stage, and the discussion I think was in regard to the coming out process and other problems gay people face. Only shortly thereafter did he go the outrageous entertainment route, for reasons which I have never delved into discovering.
Exactly, Springer started out as a talk show and in order to differentiate itself from competitors and pull in the rating he gave the viewers what they wanted. His viewers loved seeing Gordon Parks, for instance, and Jerry had him back over and over - as well as other members of the KKK and then pretty soon his entire show became more and more outrageous.

With that said, Dr Phil started out if we go back far enough on Oprah, but as a show in its own right it deliberately emulated Springer - except that he didn't just target the "outrageous" that Springer targets, he targets the vulnerable and then brings them onto his stage where he can humiliate them publically.

I have never seen a single episode of Phil. I refuse to refer to him as a doctor.

The few times I saw him on Oprah, he just rubbed me the wrong way.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
See if you recignize this as Springer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pu1SaoZHoc

Why waste your time with either?
(May 15, 2014 at 12:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Why waste your time with either?

For the lulz.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Generosity of Telstra, huge Aussie TECH Oldandeasilyconfused 0 165 November 3, 2021 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Public Service Announcement: How not to get your ass kicked by police. Jackalope 11 2091 November 27, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Anyone follow Jerry Coyne’s blog popeyespappy 0 1360 January 6, 2012 at 12:47 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Jealous God - An apology justwhoarebongorock 0 683 February 10, 2010 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: justwhoarebongorock
  Kissing in public UpNorth 19 6330 September 27, 2009 at 3:02 am
Last Post: fr0d0