Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kid at School
RE: New Kid at School
Welcome aboard!

(May 31, 2014 at 12:30 am)OhWord Wrote: What changed my life completely was simple dead pan statement "God sacrificed Himself, To himself, to save us from himself. Praise His Name."

Christians try to run away from this, but in reality, that's what they believe.

They may try to wrap in some pretty, theological language, but it doesn't change a thing.

Quote:I will soon apologize to the christian people I wronged and also come out
"the christian closest" to my family. It will be a rough road but I gotta' do it.

I would wait on this, if you receive and financial aid from your parents for college or whatever. Wait until you are in a place where you have the means to be independent. I've heard some horror stories.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Welcome to our evil, baby eating domain Devil
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(May 31, 2014 at 12:30 am)OhWord Wrote: I would lay hands and people would speak in tongues, I would Blow into the mic and people would be slain in the spirit. I was like a young Benny Hinn all I needed was the white suit.

When you were doing this stuff was it all faked?
(May 31, 2014 at 4:37 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Welcome, OhWord!

Your next order of business is to free yourself from the shackles of arbitrary word capitalization... damned Christian indoctrination Big Grin

I think I'll blame the american school system on that one ;P

(May 31, 2014 at 7:59 pm)Lek Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 12:30 am)OhWord Wrote: I would lay hands and people would speak in tongues, I would Blow into the mic and people would be slain in the spirit. I was like a young Benny Hinn all I needed was the white suit.

When you were doing this stuff was it all faked?

mass hysteria probably.
When I began to study the bible closely I came to the conclusion that
speaking in tongues is not a biblical practice. John MacArthur has a good series on this but I could careless.
(May 31, 2014 at 9:38 pm)OhWord Wrote: mass hysteria probably.
speaking in tongues is not a biblical practice. John MacArthur has a good series on this but I could careless.

I know John MacArthur thinks that the gift of tongues has ceased, but millions of people claim to speak in tongues today, including highly respected evangelical teachers.. I never have and I'm very curious about it. But what I'd like to know is if when you were taking part in these services, if you believed everything was real or if you were just faking it. It speaks to whether you were a believer and then changed your mind or if you never believed in the first place. With all the "slaying in the spirit" and whatever going on it's no wonder you were disillusioned. That stuff gets pretty crazy.
Welcome, a board. Also, how exactly does one speak without a tongue?
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(June 1, 2014 at 10:22 pm)Sejanus Wrote: Welcome, a board. Also, how exactly does one speak without a tongue?

It's hard enough to explain to a christian. The web site below does a good job, I think.
http://carm.org/speaking-in-tongues
(June 1, 2014 at 9:08 pm)Lek Wrote: I know John MacArthur thinks that the gift of tongues has ceased, but millions of people claim to speak in tongues today, including highly respected evangelical teachers..

I've highlighted the key part.

Welcome aboard, new blood! Don't touch my cookies..!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 1, 2014 at 9:08 pm)Lek Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 9:38 pm)OhWord Wrote: mass hysteria probably.

I know John MacArthur thinks that the gift of tongues has ceased, but millions of people claim to speak in tongues today, including highly respected evangelical teachers.. I never have and I'm very curious about it. But what I'd like to know is if when you were taking part in these services, if you believed everything was real or if you were just faking it. It speaks to whether you were a believer and then changed your mind or if you never believed in the first place. With all the "slaying in the spirit" and whatever going on it's no wonder you were disillusioned. That stuff gets pretty crazy.

Stimbo made the point for me Claim. (Thanks buddy)
From my perspective, I was a true believer. From other Christian's prospectives I am either a Believer that de-converted, Never a believer only A false convert or A believer that left the faith but lord will bring him back. Pick your poison.

I agree. Slaying in the spirit is crazy, but that's certainly not why I left Christianity.
The more I studied, the more I realized that all Christianity is a farce.
I realized that every human culture has had a set of creation myths, and for the first time in human history we have been able to use science, geology, biology to see that world was not "created" but evolved naturally. That's enough to disprove the initial premise of the bible (and most religions for that matter), I also do not accept that it's not suppose to be taken literally. "Jesus" spoke of it as a literal event and his whole purpose was to redeem Adam. So that whole argument is just someone trying to conform the bible with the evidence presented.

I also hold the view that sacrificing an innocent man-god for people that you view as "guilty" and "RIGHTFULLY" so is completely immoral. This is not simply a man giving you money to pay a legal fine, this a man completely taking away your accountability for things you have done wrong. We would certainly not let that fly into today's court systems and neither should the "holy of holies". [/b]

If there is a God he's certainly not the god of the bible, Quran or Hinduism.

(June 1, 2014 at 10:40 pm)Lek Wrote:
(June 1, 2014 at 10:22 pm)Sejanus Wrote: Welcome, a board. Also, how exactly does one speak without a tongue?

It's hard enough to explain to a christian. The web site below does a good job, I think.
http://carm.org/speaking-in-tongues

I'm quite familiar with carm, it was my go to when I debated atheist.
Oh, The irony.
lol welcome, make yourself at home Smile I think you'll enjoy the other side of the debate.

I used to talk in tongues. guess what? I still can. Tis just jibberish, Lek. Honestly.

Welcome
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3324 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The deconversion of the preacher's kid christianatheist 11 3891 August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: JimmyM35
  New Kid on the Block BrownBabyJesus 20 3594 July 31, 2014 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
Smile School Freed Me From Religion Gooding 6 3729 May 13, 2009 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet