Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex Catholic
RE: Ex Catholic
Thanks for the welcome all! And I'll keep my hands out of the cookie jar (sometimes!) Big Grin

(June 17, 2014 at 1:05 am)Lek Wrote: Real love for our fellow human beings would help a lot. Welcome to the forum.

Before we all try to love each other, I think it's probably important that we stop at least stop killing, maiming and denigrating those with different views! Seems to me most hotspots of violence and unrest in the world begin with the "my god is not your god" debate. Even in places with the same god - Protestants Vs. Catholics in Northern Ireland or Sunni Vs. Shi'ite Muslims for example; we STILL manage to hate each other, and teach our children to perpetuate hatred.
(June 17, 2014 at 3:20 am)jmccool80 Wrote: Thanks for the welcome all! And I'll keep my hands out of the cookie jar (sometimes!) Big Grin

(June 17, 2014 at 1:05 am)Lek Wrote: Real love for our fellow human beings would help a lot. Welcome to the forum.

Before we all try to love each other, I think it's probably important that we stop at least stop killing, maiming and denigrating those with different views! Seems to me most hotspots of violence and unrest in the world begin with the "my god is not your god" debate. Even in places with the same god - Protestants Vs. Catholics in Northern Ireland or Sunni Vs. Shi'ite Muslims for example; we STILL manage to hate each other, and teach our children to perpetuate hatred.

I know this your introduction thread, but you did make a statement that calls for a reply. You're looking at the world and picking out situations where religion is a cause of war and violence, but at the same time you're not considering all the other causes of war and violence. I hear so many people say that if we could just get rid of religion, the world would be a much better place. Well, we've never had a world without religion to compare it to, but one fact is that religion was not cause of most of the wars in history.
Ex Catholic
We do, however, have secular countries where violence is significantly lower than in religious countries.
(June 17, 2014 at 3:13 pm)Lek Wrote: I know this your introduction thread, but you did make a statement that calls for a reply. You're looking at the world and picking out situations where religion is a cause of war and violence, but at the same time you're not considering all the other causes of war and violence. I hear so many people say that if we could just get rid of religion, the world would be a much better place. Well, we've never had a world without religion to compare it to, but one fact is that religion was not cause of most of the wars in history.

True enough, please accept my apology for the generalisation - I wasn't meaning to imply that religion was the only cause for war. Merely that it is a completely preventable one based, in my opinion of course, on fallacy. Either way, don't worry about stating a debate in my introduction thread. That's why these forums exist after all!
you made the same journey as i did from catholic to antitheist.

but i did mine about 17 years later than you did.

so congratulations on seeing the true light at a younger age.

i know what you mean about friction between family members, my parents are not catholic anymore, but still very religious and even though they are trying to let me live my life without much hassle, they do make little comments they don't notice or post silly shit on my newsfeed on facebook.

i am new to the forum, too. hopefully, we both can find a new home here.

i also understand what you mean when you say that we all have to stop killing each other etc, but humans are animals. and like animals we can be aggressive, territorial, hungry, dominant, and all kinds of "evil" and "morally wrong" things. it's nature. war isn't natural. but there are some baser instincts that we will all have to fight as we come into an age of enlightenment and knowledge.

anyway! welcome!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Escaping Catholic Totalitarianism Redoubtable 40 15490 January 2, 2017 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Raised Catholic, it didn't stick Videodrome 31 6843 May 18, 2016 at 8:01 am
Last Post: RozKek
  Liberal Catholic turned atheist Pope Markoff Chaney 5 2193 May 17, 2016 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: dom.donald
  From Catholic Opus Dei to Atheism Anka 15 6683 April 1, 2016 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  My experience in the catholic church Longhorn 27 6620 June 26, 2015 at 8:23 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Catholic and Mormon to Atheist moose 5 2630 July 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: moose
  Roman catholic, Atheist, Satanist. Decsel 12 5007 October 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One