Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
God is terrified of buildings
God is terrified of buildings
So the god of the bible, and the story of bible make me laugh, a god with mighty power is afraid of a building which probably was no where NEAR as tall as the buildings now.

So god doesn't like tall buildings?

WTF
[Image: 2jcyf5t.jpg]
RE: God is terrified of buildings
(June 27, 2014 at 10:08 am)BlackSwordsman Wrote: So the god of the bible, and the story of bible make me laugh, a god with mighty power is afraid of a building which probably was no where NEAR as tall as the buildings now.

So god doesn't like tall buildings?

WTF

Penis envy.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Tower of Babel.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 27, 2014 at 10:13 am)Jenny A Wrote: Tower of Babel.

Yes that is the story I am talking about.
[Image: 2jcyf5t.jpg]
Quote:Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As people moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.

3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel—because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
Genesis 11:1-9

It's not so much that tall buildings frighten the Old Testament god, but that people might become powerful enough to threaten god. Funny that the current inventions of man (flight, nuclear technology, modern medicine, space probes) don't bother him so much. Perhaps because he isn't there to be bothered?

This idea that people might threaten the gods is an old one. The Prometheus fire myth comes to mind.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Actually I've heard god hates NASA too. I've heard that many times.

I was reading up on a debate on a Baptist forum this morning where many of the folk there were bitching that everything to do with space is bullshit and the world is flat. Flat! I didn't think people could be any more stupid. Do we have theists in this forum that still claim the world is flat?
(June 27, 2014 at 10:50 am)Elskidor Wrote: Actually I've heard god hates NASA too. I've heard that many times.

I was reading up on a debate on a Baptist forum this morning where many of the folk there were bitching that everything to do with space is bullshit and the world is flat. Flat! I didn't think people could be any more stupid. Do we have theists in this forum that still claim the world is flat?

Maybe not on this forum, but more distressingly on a nationally-viewed morning talk show. The View's Sherri Shepherd has questioned rather the world is round or not. Luckily, she's getting the boot at the end of this TV season.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
The poison runs deep and thick in the poor minds of the believing victims.
Just more shit stolen from the Sumerians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enmerkar_an..._of_Aratta

Quote:Enmerkar and the Lord of Aratta is a legendary Sumerian account, of preserved, early post-Sumerian copies, composed in the Neo-Sumerian period (ca. 21st century BC). It is one of a series of accounts describing the conflicts between Enmerkar, king of Unug-Kulaba (Uruk), and the unnamed king of Aratta (probably somewhere in modern Iran or Armenia).

Because it gives a Sumerian account of the "confusion of tongues", and also involves Enmerkar constructing ziggurats at Eridu and Uruk, it has, since the time of Samuel Kramer,[1] been compared with the Tower of Babel narrative in the Book of Genesis.
(June 27, 2014 at 10:50 am)Elskidor Wrote: Actually I've heard god hates NASA too. I've heard that many times.

Was that Landover, by any chance?
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Terrified of something that happened to me recently.. Protheism777 45 14876 August 25, 2013 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Faith No More