Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do you think that things will be like star trek one day?
RE: do you think that things will be like star trek one day?
(July 10, 2014 at 7:08 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Wormholes would negate the distance.

Assuming you can create them when and where you want and that they are safe. I'm not trying to be a dick I just don't feel entirely confident that we will be able to achieve these things. We just don't know where the limits are.
I wouldn't mind being propelled into the delta quadrant via a dodgy wormhole.
I can pass my time infiltrating the borg! What I actually mean is bonking Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01 all day and night!
no hurry finding the way home...!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 10, 2014 at 7:05 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Just waiting for Zefram Cochrane to be born.

Damn you, I will now have Magic Carpet Ride stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
(July 10, 2014 at 5:58 pm)atheist04330 Wrote: do you think that things will be like star trek one day?

like big ships in space and stuff?

I hope we develop technology like Star Trek, transporter technology has taken it's first steps...

Transporter technology a step closer

Mobile phones are similar to communicators, tablet mobile computing technology is already here, they can already measure heart rates and take other clinical measurements, monitor sleep patterns, 3d projection technology is here...

My only hope is we end up with people more like the original crew than the homogenised do-gooders on Enterprise-D and later.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Niven and Pournelle in The Mote in God's Eye imagined intelligent aliens on a distant planet, stuck in their own solar system for apparently over a million years.

They would build up a civilization in a thousand years or so, then through overpopulation and war, they would collapse all the way back to the stone age, and they would do that over and over and over and over.

I think humanity is headed down a very similar path. Subsequent rises of civilization are going to be VERY difficult for many, many tens of thousands of years because we have done so much damage and used up so many resources in the first climb out of a primitive state. Future rises of civilization will be exponentially more difficult because all the easy energy sources like coal and oil will be used up and cannot reform during the time of inevitable collapse.
(July 10, 2014 at 6:23 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(July 10, 2014 at 6:12 pm)KUSA Wrote: Why Jenny?

I don't think travel over the speed of light is possible. Without that, where would we go?

Information can travel faster than the speed of light. We don't quite know how yet but scientists have done it and can replicate it.

10,000 times faster than light

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(July 10, 2014 at 5:58 pm)atheist04330 Wrote: do you think that things will be like star trek one day?

like big ships in space and stuff?

Yes but well be in the bad version were everyone had a moustache and was horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc36M4k9V18

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I wouldn't mind a replicator and holodeck! Let's hope they come about sooner rather than later...
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(July 11, 2014 at 10:21 am)ManMachine Wrote: Information can travel faster than the speed of light. We don't quite know how yet but scientists have done it and can replicate it.

Observational wave function collapse cannot force any particular eigenstate; therefore, no information is transmitted.
I don't think things will be like Star Trek. I think the technology will develop a hell of a lot faster (and as I recall, Star Trek never saw the Internet coming), and we won't have that really weird cultural stagnation that every race in Star Trek seems to endure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek theory Won2blv 10 911 June 24, 2023 at 6:53 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Something Star Trek Missed onlinebiker 44 3464 May 26, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Scientists detect mystery radio signal from nearby star Foxaèr 20 3527 August 13, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Seven temperate terrestrial planets around the nearby ultracool dwarf star TRAPPIST-1 pocaracas 52 7103 February 25, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  And this, America, is why you can't have nice things... The Valkyrie 28 4948 August 23, 2016 at 5:16 am
Last Post: Joods
  Think you know all there is to know about neanderthals? The Valkyrie 11 1907 May 30, 2016 at 9:17 am
Last Post: GUBU
  You think you are special to all this? Ok...... Brian37 23 3344 February 24, 2016 at 11:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Why do you think male homosexual have more mood and anxiety disorders? das_atheist 93 10467 July 1, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Razzle
  Could you climb Mt Everest every day? Brian37 3 1110 March 19, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  So All the Star Wars Quoting Wasn't for Naught... thesummerqueen 7 2074 October 14, 2011 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen