Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should i "come out of my closet" to my parents
Should i "come out of my closet" to my parents
Hello guys this is my first thread and i really want some help in my life right now.

So here is the story,im a Male 15 year old and is so confused to what do do with his life who happens to be a Muslim.
It first happened two years ago when i just stopped praying, i just got bored of it and as a Muslim you have to pray five times a day and its really annoying as sometimes i have homework,games want tgo out with my friends etc etc...
so when i stopped praying NOTHING happened and according to the quran if your a Muslim and stopped praying you will have a miserable life blablabla hell eternal fire and such, but nothing happened, and so i just stopped it.
a year later since my stopping and i discovered these atheist youtubers.
as i was brain washed in school and tought that those atheist are actually devil worshipers weird right?
plus i was really close minded and believed everything they say.yup i was dumb.
i began hating those atheist youtubers for no apparent reason and without listening to them, this is what they to do schools here in Saudi Arabia brain washed as "Hell".
but after a couple of months or so i stumbled upon one of their videos and decided to actually LISTEN and understand this time,and well it changed me and i got hooked up really fast so they changed my prescriptive about the world.
And so on after varuis soul-searching and such. months and months after that i considered my self as an agnostic-atheist.

Now the problem
You see as i said i live in Saudi Arabia where almost the entire population is Muslim who really got brain washed and don't actually understand the quran and leave the bad parts of it and listen to the good parts.
at-least that how i was.
plus i my parents have are weird in Islam. they don't pray but they believe which classifies them an non-Muslims but they are still strict close minded Muslims. that also applies to all of my friends and such.
and so i have kept my secret for a month or so but now i just cant keep it.
it ramadan now and" magically" my parents started to pray again and of course i have to fast and pray whether i like it or not. and its really getting annoying.
now im praying for nothing fasting for nothing and hiding for maybe getting my self hanged?
should i "come out of the closet" or just stay put till im financially independent and tell them that im an atheist or should i just start with my best friends and see how they react and such?
i really cant hide it anymore and I've been giving tips about my atheism to my parents and friends like having an open mind and think who is the right and wrong while they judge by what religion they have.
and as a 15 year old im not really experienced on this so i would be very happy to get help from someone who went through this.

Btw sorry for any grammatical of spelling errors.
not that good with English.

Regards,A.K.
RE: Should i "come out of my closet" to my parents
Welcome! Your English isn't too bad, actually Smile

I don't think you should say a word to anyone until you're on your own... not even your friends. From what I've read, Saudi Arabia isn't exactly a safe place for atheists.
Yeah. Your 15. Just wait and think. You might change your mind on what you think and why make any waves just yet.
Your English is better than some high school seniors I have read. No need to apologize, but knowing it's a second language for you is useful.

My first question is, is it dangerous not to be Muslim in Saudi Arabia? Being atheist in Saudi Arabia appears to be a crime from what I can tell from the news. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...28389.html So I certainly would not come out as atheist publicly while you are still living in or might have to return to Saudi Arabia. It isn't worth death or imprisonment to take a stand on the non-existence of god.

I wouldn't tell my parents if I were you unless you were sure that: (1) they won't disown you; and (2) they won't discuss it with others.

I suggest you learn to keep this secret and relieve your feelings by discussing it on-line. My heart goes out to you.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Don't do it. I live in a first world country and I haven't come out of the closet to my family.

(July 12, 2014 at 4:42 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Your English is better than some high school seniors I have read. No need to apologize, but knowing it's a second language for you is useful.

My first question is, is it dangerous not to be Muslim in Saudi Arabia? Being atheist in Saudi Arabia appears to be a crime from what I can tell from the news. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...28389.html So I certainly would not come out as atheist publicly while you are still living in or might have to return to Saudi Arabia. It isn't worth death or imprisonment to take a stand on the non-existence of god.

I wouldn't tell my parents if I were you unless you were sure that: (1) they won't disown you; and (2) they won't discuss it with others.

I suggest you learn to keep this secret and relieve your feelings by discussing it on-line. My heart goes out to you.

Yes it is a crime, unfortunately, these people don't even know the definition of 'crime'. I'd love to see their reaction if the west declared all muslims are terrorists.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Welcome!

Do not come out until your in the position of being able to support yourself. If this means you have to wait until you are done with school, wait.

Be patient, the time to come out will come.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I agree with the others. I know it can be hard to keep quiet about this subject, but your safety needs to be the number one issue!

I'm sorry that your in such a tough situation.

Welcome to the group! Hedgehog
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
Welcome Smile
Living in Saudi Arabia and 15. I would say definitely not. Not just wait until you're 18, but wait until you're out on your own too. I'm not sure about laws in Saudi Arabia. How safe is it for a person to come out as an atheist?
Anyways, until you do "come out" you have us to talk to and be yourself with.
It's nice to meet you, glad you joined. Have some cookies Big Grin

(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
No. Your lack of faith does not define who you are, so you should feel no need to disclose it if it would bring discomfort to a relationship you cherish.

And since you live in the Middle East, never do so.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Probably not a good idea to use your real name on the post, either. If it is too late for you to edit it out, ask one of the mods. Saudi Arabia has a shit record on this kind of stuff.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/03/new_laws...errorists/

Quote:We’ve seen before how Saudi pundits find it easy to conflate atheism and terrorism, but now it’s official: Saudi Arabia’s new terrorism laws say outright that nonbelievers and others who commit thought crime are the same as violent terrorists.

Go through the motions until you are old enough to get out of there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unaccepting Parents Insertcoolnamehere 22 5496 May 11, 2013 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Violet