Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
RE: The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
(November 19, 2018 at 7:51 pm)ignoramus Wrote: You're probably the last straw for me Beccs. (no-one understands my goat fetish like you do!)

you go
I go
simples

I have a pucture on my phone with a goat that, for some reason, has underwear halfway down it's hind legs and it's bleating into the distance.

Someone added the text, "Come back, Abdul i didn't mean to laugh!"
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 19, 2018 at 7:42 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(November 19, 2018 at 7:38 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Hate to bear more sad news, but Joods just let me know (from another forum) that she won't be back here anymore except to check her PMs. I'm hoping she changes her mind and comes back. Same with the others who have left recently.

I wonder why? I don't think it had to do with the subforum. I think it was some perception that she was being ignored in Slack. I'm not a regular there, so I don't know.

My understanding is that she's not been pleased with the general atmosphere of the forum as of late, and the whole argument about the civility subforum had to do a lot with it, but it may also be other things as well, not sure.
Edit....
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
(November 19, 2018 at 8:10 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(November 19, 2018 at 7:42 pm)Shell B Wrote: I wonder why? I don't think it had to do with the subforum. I think it was some perception that she was being ignored in Slack. I'm not a regular there, so I don't know.

My understanding is that she's not been pleased with the general atmosphere of the forum as of late, and the whole argument about the civility subforum had to do a lot with it, but it may also be other things as well, not sure.

Yeah, that's what she told me as well. I'm in touch with her on Facebook.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
She said as much here. She's been expressing some displeasure with staff decisions as well. I have no idea if that has anything to do with it.

To each their own.
(November 19, 2018 at 7:07 pm)Belaqua Wrote:
(November 19, 2018 at 6:00 pm)Shell B Wrote: So, are we to make a rule that says it's okay to be uncivil if someone else starts it? These are important points to make, and questions for all of you to ask yourselves.

For the record, I'm pretty sure saying someone is doing something petty is calling them petty. You know I have no objection to this kind of banter or discourse, but you do. I want to know how people really want this to go, because there are going to be times when the rules seem pretty good against a foe, but not so good when applied to you.

For what it's worth, I thought it made sense to have a place where kicking and scratching were frowned on. But I'm new here, and I see there are dynamics I didn't know about.

I appreciate the fact that you and Tiberius were responsive enough to consider this, and devote your weekend to it. That alone indicates that this place is considerate where it counts.

It was suggested that people making threads in the Civil Discussion forum label their threads to reflect where the discussion was occurring. The Civil Discussion forum is gone, but people who are interested in such could start their threads by conspicuously labeling them, "Civil thread: ..." or something, and see if people are willing voluntarily to respect that and adjust their behavior accordingly or not participate. It probably wouldn't eliminate the crap that the civil debaters have problems with, but it would probably reduce the volume dramatically. If someone were purposely disrupting such a thread, that might be handled as an aspect of trolling.

(November 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(November 19, 2018 at 7:51 pm)ignoramus Wrote: You're probably the last straw for me Beccs. (no-one understands my goat fetish like you do!)

you go
I go
simples

I have a pucture on my phone with a goat that, for some reason, has underwear halfway down it's hind legs and it's bleating into the distance.

Someone added the text, "Come back, Abdul  i didn't mean to laugh!"

Post, please.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Jorm, see the Announcements Subforum. We've made a suggestion thread. Post anything you want staff to see there. We promise we're reading.
How about just have the option to make your thread safe, as in, special rules are enforced if you mark it that way?
(November 19, 2018 at 10:02 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: How about just have the option to make your thread safe, as in, special rules are enforced if you mark it that way?

https://atheistforums.org/thread-57381.html
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Almost everyone comes back, eventually. Something magical about this place. Heart

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Commentary on announcements and staff logs thread The Valkyrie 139 9721 July 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4043 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 10141 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Please Explain to a Newly Inducted "Old Fart" thesummerqueen 44 13178 November 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Cinjin