Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Struggling
Struggling
I converted from Christianity to agnosticism about two weeks ago. I still live with my Dad, who is a die-hard, born-and-bred-in-the-South Southern Baptist. He's the kind to kick me out for saying I don't believe in a god. I hadn't really been in a period of doubt before I became an agnostic; I just realized that none of what Christians said should happen was happening. I have met two who practice what they preach. The rest just use the excuse, "I'm not perfect, I'm just forgiven!"

What a bullshit cop-out. You don't use religion as a reason to be an asshole, whether you're ISIS or Westboro or First Baptist of Podunk City. If that's the kind of person you become when you follow a god, I'd rather burn in hell, thanks.
RE: Struggling
Hang in there, bud. You sound like you've got your head in the right place ... just don't put yourself in a bad way with your dad.

You should move out as soon as possible for your own sanity. I'm sure you love your dad, but an asshole + religion = self-righteous asshole.
(November 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm)Servatum Wrote: If that's the kind of person you become when you follow a god, I'd rather burn in hell, thanks.

Me too
(November 5, 2014 at 12:13 am)Surgenator Wrote: You should move out as soon as possible for your own sanity. I'm sure you love your dad, but an asshole + religion = self-righteous asshole.

I'm working on that. Unfortunately I'm living on disability, and there's a 2-year waiting list for low-income housing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Struggling Atheist Openminded 15 2594 April 1, 2013 at 9:34 am
Last Post: justin