Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stating belief is more rational . . .
RE: Stating belief is more rational . . .
No, it's more of a reference to mortality and the origin of existence.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
(February 12, 2010 at 8:42 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: The whole process is backwards, it basically means that you choose what to believe in and then create supporting argument.

That makes perfect sense.

It's putting the cart before the horse.
Yeah sorta except that's implying that god is physical there like a cart and horses are.
Also it doesn't really cover the interchangablity of reinvented supporting arguments.
As in a cart is known to be pulled by horses so we don't say change the idea, because it couldn't be reasonably argued otherwise.
(February 12, 2010 at 9:57 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: Yeah sorta except that's implying that god is physical there like a cart and horses are.
Also it doesn't really cover the interchangablity of reinvented supporting arguments.
As in a cart is known to be pulled by horses so we don't say change the idea, because it couldn't be reasonably argued otherwise.

Elaborate please.
I thought I just did elaborate, but since you ask me to elaborate again, I must need you to elaborate on what that is.
(February 13, 2010 at 12:39 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: I thought I just did elaborate, but since you ask me to elaborate again, I must need you to elaborate on what that is.

Sorry about that, I got a bit confused and then I remembered my psychology course a few years back. I was getting it (rationalization) mixed with the sociological definition, rather than the more widely accepted psychological one.

Yes, it is a defence mechanism, but more importantly, it is a fallacy of reasoning.

I understand what you're getting at.

Are you personally going through this? Or are you just shedding some light on the topic?
Yeah, the fallacy of reasoning is more interesting to me as psychology doesn't list rationalisation in terms of developing causal argument for a desired outcome as such. I think I'm trying to understand where the terms rational and irrational are applicable/inapplicable more than anything.

I like your hybrid duck/croc too; hope that doesn't reflect on evolutionary theory Smile
(February 13, 2010 at 1:32 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: Yeah, the fallacy of reasoning is more interesting to me as psychology doesn't list rationalisation in terms of developing causal argument for a desired outcome as such. I think I'm trying to understand where the terms rational and irrational are applicable/inapplicable more than anything.

I like your hybrid duck/croc too; hope that doesn't reflect on evolutionary theory Smile

It's a joke - Crocoduck is Kirk Cameron's argument against evolution, as a transitional form. The Banana man is his sidekick, Ray Comfort. They lack a basic understanding of evolution, yet make videos and push the topic of ID so much that you can't help but laugh out loud when you see it.
I think it's laughability is that there's no basic understanding there.
To think that came out of a duck is ridiculous.
[Image: avatar_770.jpg]
(February 13, 2010 at 1:51 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: I think it's laughability is that there's no basic understanding there.
To think that came out of a duck is ridiculous.
[Image: avatar_770.jpg]

To think that they believe evolution works in such a way is thought provoking.

The sad part is, a majority of Americans agree with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3239 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? vulcanlogician 188 21955 August 30, 2021 at 4:37 pm
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1701 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2520 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
  An easy proof that rational numbers are countable. Jehanne 7 1994 February 22, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Is the fear of irrational fears rational? ErGingerbreadMandude 26 6166 August 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3538 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 615 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4441 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Test my belief system robvalue 84 12124 September 8, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Sappho