Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Millennium/21st Century
The Millennium/21st Century
Schools should encourage children born in 2000 to study what happened in the couple of years before they were born - how 100s of millions (maybe billions?) of people throughout the world were led to believe (and an awful lot of them still appear to believe) that the 21st century began on 1st Jan 2000.

People say: 'Does it matter?'
RE: The Millennium/21st Century
(January 19, 2015 at 10:51 am)Newtonscat Wrote: People say: 'Does it matter?'

Some people even say: who cares!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 19, 2015 at 10:53 am)Alex K Wrote: Some people even say: who cares!

Or even, who gives a shit!
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
It is somewhat important to know that the first year of any particular century is the one that ends in "first", but is it relevant for most kids?
I charitably read this as "schools aren't giving today's kids a proper grounding in the social and political history of the 70s through 90s that led to the current state of affairs in (the Middle East/Europe/partisan American politics)."

Very charitably.

But the more I read it the more I think the literal interpretation is the correct one... Undecided
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(January 19, 2015 at 10:51 am)Newtonscat Wrote: Schools should encourage children born in 2000 to study what happened in the couple of years before they were born - how 100s of millions (maybe billions?) of people throughout the world were led to believe (and an awful lot of them still appear to believe) that the 21st century began on 1st Jan 2000.

People say: 'Does it matter?'

So wait... the twenty-first century started in 2001? Hmm... Thinking

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. The first century is 1-100, 2nd = 101-200, etc. since there isn't actually a year zero. But seriously, who cares? The bigger common mistake people make is assuming 17th century = 1700s. But when you look back, you realize that there was no zeroth century for pre-100 C.E., so yeah.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(January 19, 2015 at 11:57 am)Darkstar Wrote: But when you look back, you realize that there was no zeroth century for pre-100 C.E., so yeah.
That's because that was the first century.

Much like your first year of life spans between your birth and your first birthday, minus a day at the end.
The second year of life spans from your first birthday to your second, again, minus a day.
And so on, and so forth...
It's a logical way of counting years and centuries... but it messes up people's brains... so sorry, logic wins!
I rang the BBC in August 1999. The person I spoke to agreed that the millennium/21st century began on 1st Jan 2001. When I asked her why the BBC was telling people otherwise she said:

"We've got government permission"

I rang the Millennium Commission (their number ended in 2001) and asked the guy why they'd changed the date:

"It isn't us" he said.

At 11.30 pm 31st Dec 1999 I rang Scotland Yard (the main police number in the UK) and asked the guy who answered if it was the Millennium tomorrow:

"No," he said

"It's the 1st Jan 2001 ... but 99% of the people believe its tomorrow, so its best to go along with it."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9/11 a "day of destiny" for Germany in the 20th century Deesse23 0 309 November 9, 2018 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult Minimalist 70 9625 November 2, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The First Century Void Minimalist 232 61669 September 9, 2017 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman