Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion vs Cult - What are the differences?
Religion vs Cult - What are the differences?
I'm not exactly one to hesitate calling Christianity a cult now that I view it from an Atheist perspective, mainly because of its effects on me and factors of when I left. When I went from Catholic to Methodist, the Catholic priest at my old cat. church tried to guilt trip me into staying, and so did my grandmother, and there were other things I had experienced that would make me call it a cult, but to get to the question.

It seems as though if we were to build a time machine and go back in time about 1,000 years, the only difference between a religion and a cult would be the size, because everything that makes a modern day cult a cult, Christianity, Islam and even other religions have had those qualities at those times too. I could argue that Modern day Islam is still a massive cult. Are there any real differences between a religion and a cult? Thanks a bunch.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Religion vs Cult - What are the differences?
A religion is a cult that has gotten enough followers to be considered mainstream.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Honestly, I don't see a damn bit of difference between the two.
Religion is harder to spell.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Hi Ian,
Excellent question.
A cult is an organization of people based on a personality or a concept (off the top of my head) considered deviant.
All depends on your perspective.
You guys think every religion except your own is a cult. Ha.
Well, if you're part of an Abrahamic religion, you're not supposed to think highly of any other religion.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 3, 2015 at 10:23 pm)professor Wrote: Hi Ian,
Excellent question.
A cult is an organization of people based on a personality or a concept (off the top of my head) considered deviant.
All depends on your perspective.
You guys think every religion except your own is a cult. Ha.

You're a funny guy.
It's clear by what is and isn't available for historical review in the Mormon archives that the church hierarchy is aware they are sitting on a huge pile of incriminating bull shit.

As it turns out, due to schisms, past laxity, filing errors and other factors, quite a bit of the real 'poo' in the Mormon archives is available somewhere.

Looking over what is available, and then being aware of what they will and won't release, it is very easy to conclude most of the poobahs at Mormon Central are aware the whole stinking mess of Mormon theology is total crap.

Makes it a cult, a damn successful one too. Probably enough success to really stick in the craw of the Scientologists.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I thought a cult is a religion that doesn't reveal its beliefs to a non-believers. And in some cases, it slowly reveals its beliefs to its believers like scientology. But I like Stimpo's definition better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overcoming shame of being duped by a cult Won2blv 11 1133 December 22, 2020 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  "Cult-speak" lines Foxaèr 24 2607 September 15, 2018 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
Exclamation New religious cult in rise? UnLocal 32 6032 November 28, 2016 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: axiom of congruence
  Are You A Slave To Some Cult? sanebrain 147 10912 August 6, 2016 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10599 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19600 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Jehovah’s seem to be trying to get my 85 year old father into their cult hogwash 23 5941 July 24, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: hogwash
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 48973 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Whats the difference between a cult and a religion? Zidneya 74 21445 May 24, 2014 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Zidneya