Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read any good books lately? Rate them here
RE: Read any good books lately? Rate them here
(September 3, 2019 at 4:07 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Who cares.

The mice.

They're willing to pay a lot for the right question..
"Moe, Larry, the cheese!"
Can you guess what book I've read?

Quote:The minute we sat down, the therapist turned to me and said, “Maria wanted to come here today to ask about a child—whether you’ve fathered a child with your housekeeper Mildred. That’s why she wanted to meet. So let’s talk about it.”
In the initial instant, when time seemed to stand still, I said to myself, “Well, Arnold, you wanted to tell her. Surprise! This is it. Here’s your moment. Maybe it’s the only way you’d ever have the nerve.”

I told the therapist, “It’s true.” Then I turned to Maria. “It’s my child,” I said. “It happened fourteen years ago. I didn’t know about him at first, but I’ve known it now for several years.” I told her how sorry I felt about it, how wrong it was, that it was my fault. I just unloaded everything.
It was one of those stupid things that I promised myself never to do. My whole life I never had anything going with anyone who worked for me. This happened in 1996 when Maria and the kids were away on holiday and I was in town finishing Batman and Robin. Mildred had been working in our household for five years, and all of sudden we were alone in the guest house. When Mildred gave birth the following August, she named the baby Joseph and listed her husband as the father. That is what I wanted to believe and what I did believe for years.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
A Hand maids tale.

It was a good and chilling story that seems like its about to come true in the US.

But it wasn't that well written. For such a famous book I was expecting it to be better.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The Bad -Ass Librarians of Timbuktu, by Joshua Hammer

The truly fascinating story of the successful effort to keep (literally) hundreds of thousands of historic Arabic manuscripts from being destroyed by Islam jihadist lunatics. A good overview of the history of Mali in general and Timbuktu in particular, and the amazing work of librarian Abdel Kader Haidara and his cohorts to smuggle out and hide the manuscripts in a distant town.

Highly recommend it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

I cannot recommend the book more. It talks about how you can hack the cue, routine, reward structure of habits in order to change small habits, thereby leading to bigger change in your life. I've read the book multiple times and have used the techniques within to change habits of mine.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish them......... fatality. Brian37 5 1016 May 18, 2022 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Star Trek - seen them all? onlinebiker 22 1781 February 6, 2020 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Read any good magazine articles lately ?? vorlon13 4 689 May 21, 2017 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  SNL has been killing it lately Aegon 19 2105 February 19, 2017 at 12:35 am
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Post the songs you hate here. Yes, right here! brewer 265 24591 September 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Bill Maher Real Time - Republicunt Books Minimalist 0 964 January 17, 2015 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Read any good books lately? Ravenshire 26 5612 August 6, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Celebs read mean tweets. Jacob(smooth) 1 1112 February 12, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Rate my band paulpablo 4 2000 October 26, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  Lee Strobel books Forsaken 2 1255 January 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist