Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California is thinking about legalizing it
RE: California is thinking about legalizing it
I always liked one of the world's described in Robert A. Heinlein's Number of the Beast.

Its a world where laws are pretty relaxed, you can do whatever you want, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. Everyone is responsible for their own actions.

The example given (i think) was a guy driving (drunk i believe) ran over a child and broke the kids legs. The other drivers jumped out of their cars, took the guy from his car, and then proceeded to break his legs.

Ok, its not perfect, a bit of rough justice, and i can't see many people voting for such a system, but it certainly has something to be said for it.

Legalize the bloody plant and let people enjoy their weed. Be sensible. Driving on weed is dangerous. You think you are driving fast but you are actually only doing 10mph in a 60 zone and pissing other drivers off.

As for weed in relation to guns... LOL. Come on! Guns and weed do not mix. You can rarely be arsed to stand up and change the TV channel if you can't find the remote. Taking a gun to do anything with is probably not going to be on your agenda. Someone breaks into your home when you are stoned and your reaction is most likely to be to offer them some chips and to sit down and chill and listen to some Marley or Floyd.
A finite number of monkeys with a finite number of typewriters and a finite amount of time could eventually reproduce 4chan.
(April 13, 2010 at 3:22 am)Pippy Wrote: Hey,
Thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity, what is an SAE?
Please do not mention SAE Rules in front of me... http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Saerules >_< It is completely unrelated to my name.... see
Some website ripping off of my name :@ Wrote:Formula SAE Competition Objective
The Formula SAE ® Series competitions challenge teams of university undergraduate and graduate
students to conceive, design, fabricate and compete with small, formula style, autocross vehicles.

Quote:
Quote:It would be a poor ideal of the government not to keep its people safe from themselves... as what is a government to do if there are no more people to govern? Smile Keeping people alive and well is largely the point of legislation in the first place...
Ahhh, I politely disagree. It is not the place of the government to keep me safe from myself. It is kinda the gummints job to keep itself safe from me. It is a Constitution, or a Charter between people and government. The people agree to allow a government above it, and the people are the ones in charge. It is not that government came first, and people second. Government is only a social contract, and if they don't do what the majority want, they lose the baility to hold their positions. So these days we have governments run by psychopaths trying their best to get the majority so stupid and unhealthy that they can coerce them into supporting whatever dangerous thing they want.
There's more than one kind of government... the government is the organization that manages the policies, actions, and affairs of a (usually larger) group. It's no longer a government once it has lost what it governs. Smile

Quote:How does it serve me to fine me for not wearing me seatbelt? What if I crash, I could die. Not the police, or by proxy the governments problem. If I flew out of my car unrestrained, and my body hit some poor passer-by and killed them, that would be a tragedy. Should that random and unlikely circumstance be justification for them charging me (not with a crime, but with a bill) for failure to properly protect myself?
Not wearing a seatbelt almost always jeopardizes your health in event of a crash. The government cares that you don't die (if not out of compassion and a desire to have peace... then because a dead body is usually a useless body), and will fine you for being a moron with your life in such a way, in hope of deterring you from such potentially hazardous behavior in future.

Quote:What about when I got busted for possession of Marijuana? How are they serving me (since that is their job) to charge me hundreds of dollars and try to put me in prison for having a drug problem. They never once asked 'do you want to be a drug addict?' they just assumed I was fully in control of what I was doing, and therefor fully responsible for breaking their rules. Did they offer me help? No. Did they try to solve my, and my communities problems? No. Did they try to make a buck and lock a kid up because it seems right to them? Yes. Is that their job, as a judiciary and as part of governance? I think not.
I'm not assuming that what governments do is always right... but they have usually created such laws out of genuine belief that they are helping you and/or society (however ridiculous and wrong they may be).

Quote:Anyways, I get going... I think government keeping me safe from myself can only be window dressing for the destruction of rights and freedoms. If it was so important as to have robot cameras giving out 2,000 speeding tickets a day, why not make cars that don't speed? Oh that would be effective problem solving, and red blooded americans would flip out. It it was so important to them that I wear my seat belt, why are they always so slow to react to a real threat... like... purple loosestrife.
Purple loosestrife...? 0.o I agree that regulations on what you can do to yourself are against your rights and freedoms... but are not some of them in your best interest (eg, the encouragement of seatbelt wearing by making it a law)? Well reasoned nonetheless Smile

Quote:
Quote:How's that coming so far?
Hard work. I have magic powers, but spoon bending is not one of them. So I am trying to branch out a little.

Thanks, Smile
-Pip

Tis a shame, what have you managed with your powers so far? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I can either tell the future, or affect the future. I can read minds. I can read English, and some french. I can not read sheet music though. Ummmmmm... I make a mean french toast?
(April 13, 2010 at 9:06 pm)Pippy Wrote: I can either tell the future, or affect the future. I can read minds. I can read English, and some french. I can not read sheet music though. Ummmmmm... I make a mean french toast?

Cue The Twilight Zone theme tune. Big Grin
A finite number of monkeys with a finite number of typewriters and a finite amount of time could eventually reproduce 4chan.
We control the vertical.

Don't you guys have any special powers?
In the Matrix there is no spoon

[Image: th_Matrixrazorno.jpg]

And no razor either apparently...Tiger
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I once thought i could make objects turn into different things... but then the LSD wore off... Confused Fall
I was able to crush cans from across the room once, I could watch them crush and hear the sounds of the metal bending but when I stop focusing the cans would return to normal... but then the LSD wore off... hey wait, I see a pattern forming. Apparently LSD give you superpowers!

Rhizo
temporarily.
(April 11, 2010 at 12:40 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(April 11, 2010 at 12:09 pm)Pippy Wrote: I like you more and more Adrian.

Let the lemmings do whatever they want, leave us alone. Libertarianism. Mmmmmmm.
I thought you opposed my opinion on letting people have guns? If you want to be a Libertarian you have to oppose prohibition, and that includes guns.
But not hand grenades and rocket launchers. Wink

(April 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm)cppman Wrote: You have to understand that street-level marijuana is a lot more dangerous than what the government studies. The "market" is created by people, not the government. So, if anyone can grow it, we'll have a new economy for the strong drug as opposed to the "over-the-counter" weak drug (if that made any sense).
It didn't make sense. I'm assuming when you refer to this "more dangerous" "street-level" substance you mean more potent pot with higher THC levels.

To say that's more dangerous is like saying a litre of water is more dangerous than a cup. It's more potent, but that means the average stoner just uses less. Do you drink a bottle of whiskey like you drink a bottle of wine?

(April 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm)cppman Wrote: I was referring to California becoming an exporter (illegally) of marijuana if it was legalized. You would have an increase in immigration so that the drug can be trafficked back to another country at a higher cost, specifically Mexico. This is just a thought though, hence "this is a long shot."
Long shot is an understatement.

You won't see anyone going out of their way to smuggle marijuana into Mexico. You really think California legalizing pot would completely reverse the drug trade? Seeing how nobody in their right mind would want Mexican ditchweed when there is a legal, high-grade American alternative available, there would be an ABUNDANCE of weed available to anyone in Mexico who wanted it.

Happy 4/20.
- Meatball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whooping Cough Epidemic in California Eilonnwy 7 2808 June 24, 2010 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Samson