Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility
Came across this video and thought I'd share it here. Wondering what people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDxgJq4toYo
RE: Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility
Stunningly ignorant.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 26, 2015 at 12:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Stunningly ignorant.

Boru

Interesting. Care to elaborate on why?

I was watching a Ross Kemp documentary recently in the deep south. Among other places. Pretty sure Louis Theroux has done a similar one too but I may be confusing them.

What he revealed was pretty much what the guy in the video is expressing. People talk about this 'oppression' that many black people have looming over them. They talk about the judiciary system being corrupt. They talk about the white man or the police being the root of all their problems. They're born in the ghetto and have no hope of getting out. 

But even if some of these things are true, and some of them absolutely are, what you rarely hear is the 'black community' (for lack of a better term), talking about taking responsibility. There's the entire, "don't snitch" mentality. Who does that help? There's communities that are kept in poverty because the people living in them flat out don't want to escape it. Many youths today wear "coming from the ghetto" as some kind of badge of honour. There's people who treat their communities like shitholes instead of communities.

Just found a clip from one of the docs I'm referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yQTEcOpjbY

I recommend watching them, they're pretty insightful. They cover a lot of shit though, even gun laws. 

Found a full doc on St Louis, again, covers some issues like black people being oppressed.

*edit* Just realised the documentary that specifically talks about the issues I'm referring to is Ross Kemp: Extreme World Memphis. I think it's available on Sky Go, not sure how Americans would watch it though. But he interviews a range of different people. I specifically remember several black people talking about how black communities need to take more responsibility. I just find it interesting.

*edit 2* Another clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YMItcbCHUw
Nothing on this? Would of thought AF would be all over a topic like this...

I mean I even mentioned gun laws.
Blaming racism or not depends entirely on the incident at hand. Racism may or may not be the cause.

Care to explain me why I should spend some minutes watching the video (Since you included no description)? What does it talk about? What's the topic?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(April 26, 2015 at 7:56 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Blaming racism or not depends entirely on the incident at hand. Racism may or may not be the cause.

Care to explain me why I should spend some minutes watching the video (Since you included no description)? What does it talk about? What's the topic?

Clue is in the title of both the video and the thread. It's not that long a video, and frankly, I think my rep here would suggest I'm not out to waste anyone's time. In the time I've explained what it's about, and you reading that description, or even just in the time you've took to peruse the thread and post in the first place, you could just watch the bloody video. 

Or not. 
People do need to take responsibility. The first video speaks volumes.
I watched the video.

The first problem I would point out is that it proposes a kind of "libertarian" view that people are fully in control of their destiny and if they fail then they didn't work hard enough.

Where's the research? Where's the evidence? What point are you exactly trying to make here?

Something like "Get out of the ghetto" is easier said than done. You see, when you grow up near people who deal drugs, spend your life seeing people dealing drugs, you will most likely end up dealing drugs as well. That's just nurturing. It's not as simple as "get out of the hole" otherwise there would be no poor people anywhere, don't you think?

And no, I don't really believe that running away from a cop legally allows murder regardless of the person's race.

It's also funny that he mentions slavery doesn't exist but there's lots of trafficking, maybe even more than 100 years ago (but that's a whole new topic).
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(April 26, 2015 at 8:14 pm)Dystopia Wrote: I watched the video.

The first problem I would point out is that it proposes a kind of "libertarian" view that people are fully in control of their destiny and if they fail then they didn't work hard enough.

Where's the research? Where's the evidence? What point are you exactly trying to make here?

Something like "Get out of the ghetto" is easier said than done. You see, when you grow up near people who deal drugs, spend your life seeing people dealing drugs, you will most likely end up dealing drugs as well. That's just nurturing. It's not as simple as "get out of the hole" otherwise there would be no poor people anywhere, don't you think?

And no, I don't really believe that running away from a cop legally allows murder regardless of the person's race.

It's also funny that he mentions slavery doesn't exist but there's lots of trafficking, maybe even more than 100 years ago (but that's a whole new topic).

The only thing in life that we control are our choices. The outcome may not always go the way you want but the wiser the choice the greater the odds of a successful outcome there is.

Regardless of the shithole you live in you should always make good choices. If everyone did that the shitholes would go away given time.
(April 26, 2015 at 8:14 pm)Dystopia Wrote: The first problem I would point out is that it proposes a kind of "libertarian" view that people are fully in control of their destiny and if they fail then they didn't work hard enough.

I don't think that's what he's saying. He's simply saying that all of the problems talked about in the video, aren't always down to other people. He's just saying that more responsibility should be taken by many people in the 'black community'. I don't disagree personally. But as a white, middle class man, I suppose some people will think I'm being racist or hate on me in some way for simply holding that perception.

Quote:Where's the research? Where's the evidence? What point are you exactly trying to make here?

It's just a guy, making a rant video. Not an academic thesis. Much of what he's saying doesn't even require evidence or research, it's already common knowledge, it's just one guy's opinion in the end anyway.

Besides the general gist of what he's saying doesn't even depend on whether some things are true or not. What claims did he make that you would require evidence for? Not asking to be a dick, but honestly, I can't fathom what you would actually be referring to. He wasn't making any unsubstantiated claims from what I could tell.

If you are looking for evidence on black people, or black communities being oppressed, or living in poverty, or their attitudes, I pointed in the direction of a few documentaries on the subject. It's not like the perceptions highlighted in the video are some brand new epiphany.

In terms of my point, I dunno, wasn't really making one per se. I agree with the guy in the video though, but if there are people who disagree then I'm eager to hear reasoning as to why not.

Saying "where's the evidence" doesn't really apply in this situation. Evidence for what?

Quote:Something like "Get out of the ghetto" is easier said than done. You see, when you grow up near people who deal drugs, spend your life seeing people dealing drugs, you will most likely end up dealing drugs as well. That's just nurturing. It's not as simple as "get out of the hole" otherwise there would be no poor people anywhere, don't you think?

I really get the feeling you've just completely missed anything relevant here and are just choosing to disagree with me.

Nobody made any claims about it being easy. In fact, in the video I posted with Ross Kemp, looking back on his time in Memphis, the guy he interviews says the precise OPPOSITE of that.

But it's not impossible. And it's not something people should just not attempt because they accept their lot in life. That's the entire point the guy was making. So you've been dealt a shitty hand. It's not about blaming other people, but doing what you can to make the best of it. Ofcourse not every case it's going to be possible. You really think I'm that naive? The reasons for poor people existing in the first place are more complex than just because they didn't try hard enough. I feel you're insulting my intelligence here.

The general point I think he's making in the vid, is that in the 'black community', or at least some/many in these communities don't do enough to 'get out of the ghetto'. Instead a lot of people like blaming others for their problems. He brought up slavery for precisely that point. Ain't no rich fuck going into the ghetto, graffitiing, littering and making it a run down mess with murders happening left right and centre. That's the people in the communities who do that.

Quote:And no, I don't really believe that running away from a cop legally allows murder regardless of the person's race.

I don't mean any disrespect here, but honestly, what kind of tinted glasses did you watch the video through that you thought anyone even came close to saying that?

Quote:It's also funny that he mentions slavery doesn't exist but there's lots of trafficking, maybe even more than 100 years ago (but that's a whole new topic).

Facepalm Meh, I think you've really not got the point of anything he said.

Like I mentioned earlier, the reason he brought slavery up is that many people like to use that as an excuse for being in a poor neighbourhood, or having a shitty card dealt. Blame is still placed on the government, general attitudes are still bitter because of it. He's basically saying it shouldn't be this way. Chances are the average guy in the ghetto who's slinging dope on street corners with a gun under his belt doesn't know anyone who's been in slavery. But he's still content to break the law and then blame the system for him choosing the thug life.

Basic point is this: A lot of people in black communities like to blame others outside of the communities for their problems. Not many in the communities are actually doing enough to make the places they live a better place.

I know it's a lot to ask for you to watch, but Ross Kemp's documentary in Memphis basically comes to this conclusion.

Ofcourse, it's just one documentary, and one guy ranting into his camera. But I happen to agree. The flipside is someone will now more than likely claim I'm saying "black people have nothing to complain about" or "black people only have themselves to blame". That's not what I'm saying at all, but bring it on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1230 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 9160 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does the positive side of tribalism/racism outshine the negative side? Greatest I am 58 2110 August 13, 2020 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 1985 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Black lives matter WinterHold 49 3332 June 10, 2020 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  As Economy Crashes, Democracts Finally Start To Take Impeactment Seriously. ReptilianPeon 28 1828 September 22, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Race baiting is economic racism Rickimoto 3 445 April 1, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Race baiting, economic reasons. But why isnt it defined as racism? Rickimoto 4 511 April 1, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Stop Re litigating 2016 liberals /OP ED. Brian37 66 4595 February 21, 2019 at 7:59 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Stop trying to reason with Trump supporters GODZILLA 21 2408 January 20, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: GUBU