Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex penticostal christian... kind of athiest
RE: Ex penticostal christian... kind of athiest
(May 7, 2015 at 10:48 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Santa, though, is the more common comparison that you are likely to hear from people, but it does not matter, as they are all imaginary things.

... what?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 7, 2015 at 11:23 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(May 7, 2015 at 10:48 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Santa, though, is the more common comparison that you are likely to hear from people, but it does not matter, as they are all imaginary things.

... what?

Are you making a joke, or are you seriously confused and did not realize I was referring to Santa and two things from the previous sentence, God and the Tooth Fairy?

Here are the two sentences again:

"Many exChristians report being happier as atheists than they were as Christians, and many of us regard God as being the equivalent of other nonexistent things, like the Tooth Fairy.  Santa, though, is the more common comparison that you are likely to hear from people, but it does not matter, as they are all imaginary things."

God is more often compared with Santa than with the Tooth Fairy.  But all three are imaginary things, so it does not matter which imaginary thing one compares with God.  They all have exactly the same impact on the world: none.

(Of course, the people who believe in each of them do not have the same impact on the world, but that is quite different from the imaginary things themselves having an impact.)

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Hey there Sarah! Hi

Good job seeing through the bullshit, I'm sure you'll fit right in
(May 7, 2015 at 11:45 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Are you making a joke, or are you seriously confused and did not realize I was referring to Santa and two things from the previous sentence, God and the Tooth Fairy?

I can hear Stimbo giggling from across the Atlantic.

Welcome Sarah.
I'm too upset at the possibility that Santa might not be real to giggle. There's ways of breaking news like that, you know.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Welcome to the forums, sarah! If you want to practise arguing atheism, I'm always happy to play devil's (well, God's) advocate for fun Smile

(Stimbo, please change your avatar back to that nice man from that horror movie, this new one creeps me out)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Certainly, Dr Strangelove.

Oh, and I was too upset by the Santa bombshell to welcome our new convert. Good to have you aboard.
Hello Sarah, welcome Smile

I've not been through religion myself. But I can confirm that religion is based on bullshit, and that there is nothing wrong with being gay. Just in case it would help to hear it again!

I've made a website aimed at new atheists, so you may find some useful things on it, and feel free to ask about anything you like:

http://robvalue.wix.com/atheism

Enjoy the forum!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 7, 2015 at 9:47 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: Welcome. Welcome

You might want to check out ex-christians.

Excellent suggestion! I love ex-christian.net!
(May 8, 2015 at 6:00 am)Alex K Wrote: ...
(Stimbo, please change your avatar back to that nice man from that horror movie, this new one creeps me out)

You are not the first to say such a thing. Jealousy of his good looks is bringing out the worst in people!

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No longer an atheist but what am I? A different kind of CREATIONIST.. Whateverist 53 10377 August 1, 2014 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  new athiest missing the blissful ignorance of theory of god purduejones 17 4239 December 3, 2013 at 10:13 am
Last Post: LastPoet