Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:12 am

Poll: Read OP before answering:
This poll is closed.
Yes
29.63%
16 29.63%
No
3.70%
2 3.70%
Neutral
5.56%
3 5.56%
Other
5.56%
3 5.56%
Depends on the theist
55.56%
30 55.56%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists on atheist forums
RE: Theists on atheist forums
I answered No, because theists frustrate me. How can there still be human beings who believe in Gods? I can't think of anything that is more obviously made up bullshit. This is 2015. Most people have a basic education, and the ability to reason, so why not use them? We're living in the Information Age, a time when practically anything you want to learn is a Google away, and people still choose to ignore it all and attribute everything to an invisible sky fairy who watches them wank.
(July 1, 2015 at 11:56 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: I like pleasant people. I like people on these forums, regardless of their belief, that invest in the community.

Yep. It might come as a surprise to you CL, but most of us don't automatically dislike believers because they're believers.
It depends on the theist:

My subjective opinion of theists manifests itself on a sliding scale from those compelled to have faith in a higher power that one day will come and scoop all of us up to live happily ever after to those loathsome unreasonable dolts that consider their holy book the literal or closely inspired word of their god. Most of my interaction with strangers is atheistic in nature, simply meaning that regardless of their belief, their god is not an immediate subject of conversation. 

As a relationship develops and religion becomes a topic of conversation, I genuinely enjoy the exchange, particularly as it relates to behavior today. What I don't have much tolerance for is the fire and brimstone thou shalt or shalt not behavioral mandates or prohibitions where 'because god said so' is the only justification provided. The biggest problem I have with these theists is the assumption that I am somehow subject to the whims and dicta of ancient ignorami simply because they wish it to be true. Blindly following these prescriptions unfiltered by the intervening accumulated knowledge for the sake of faith is dangerous and immoral. 

My disdain for organized religion stems from the fact that these organizations are specifically chartered to uncritically perpetuate these ancient creeds and ideas through a system demanding blind obedience and strict adherence to established doctrine enforced by the threat of ostracism and the promise of eternal torment. The entire scheme is morally bankrupt.
I think theists make AF more interesting - There's always room for debate, some will simply quote the bible and I don't like it, others will try to genuinely present a good case for god and religion. It's important to see ideas trough other group's lenses because otherwise you will have a single vision about how stuff works.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 1, 2015 at 11:59 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: I answered No, because theists frustrate me. How can there still be human beings who believe in Gods? I can't think of anything that is more obviously made up bullshit. This is 2015. Most people have a basic education, and the ability to reason, so why not use them? We're living in the Information Age, a time when practically anything you want to learn is a Google away, and people still choose to ignore it all and attribute everything to an invisible sky fairy who watches them wank.

I must admit my immediate predisposition is to assume any given theist is a moron. It's only when they demonstrate that they can show some rationality that I'm really inclined to be polite.
(July 1, 2015 at 12:04 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(July 1, 2015 at 11:59 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: I answered No, because theists frustrate me. How can there still be human beings who believe in Gods? I can't think of anything that is more obviously made up bullshit. This is 2015. Most people have a basic education, and the ability to reason, so why not use them? We're living in the Information Age, a time when practically anything you want to learn is a Google away, and people still choose to ignore it all and attribute everything to an invisible sky fairy who watches them wank.

I must admit my immediate predisposition is to assume any given theist is a moron. It's only when they demonstrate that they can show some rationality that I'm really inclined to be polite.

I used to think like this but then I reached the conclusion it's best to assume everyone's a moron, as being wrong about one topic guarantees nothing about anything else.

I've already argued that theism is partly biological as some people seem to have a predisposition and never change their mind, and partly cultural/social - Being surprised that some people believe in god in 2050 is basically saying "I'm surprised there are people who don't think like me, whoooh!". Surprise, there will be people believing in god in 2050 - Though there will be more people not believing
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 1, 2015 at 11:17 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Hi everyone. :-)

Just curious what the general sentiment is towards theists being on this forum.

The poll question is this: Do you generally enjoy theists being on this forum?

Given that that is a general question about theists who are on the forum, rather than a theoretical question about idealized situations involving theists, my answer is "no."  I do not generally enjoy theists being on this forum.

(July 1, 2015 at 11:17 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: ...

If you answer NO, do you not enjoy it because  you can't stand anyone who does not share your views regarding the existence of God, even if they don't talk about it?

No, that is not it.

(July 1, 2015 at 11:17 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Do you not enjoy it because you feel like they always end up talking about their beliefs and it's annoying?

Yes, in part.  It is also the way they talk about their silly beliefs, not just that they have silly beliefs.

(July 1, 2015 at 11:17 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Do you not enjoy it because you'd rather this just be an exclusive haven for like minded folks?

No.  If everyone agreed about everything, there would be little to talk about.  But I can certainly understand someone wanting a theist-free environment, as many are constantly surrounded by theists in their real lives and could use a respite.

(July 1, 2015 at 11:17 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Do you not enjoy if for any other reason I have not listed here? If so, what?  

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to seeing your answers.

Most theists here (or, at least, most of the ones I have noticed) are irrational and argue fallaciously.  And many are conceited, arrogant, and obnoxious while they are spewing forth nonsense.  I do not find those to be attractive qualities.  I don't find those to be attractive qualities in atheists, either, but they seem more common qualities of theists than atheists (while still being more than common enough among atheists).

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Good point Steel, that's an important distinction: are they here to learn, or at least listen? This is generally the difference between someone who I will get on with and someone who is going to just annoy me. The refusal to learn anything at all is the most astonishing and sad thing I've noticed about the majority of theists that have passed through here.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I voted Yes. Of course it depends on the theist, but that's because it always depends on the person, and that has nothing to do with theism or not. I have friends in the babble belt, I sing in a de facto Church choir. I'm certainly not allergic to theists Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'll be parroting the majority of others when I state that theists are welcome depending on their openness. The problem is a good amount of theists simply invoke their logical fallacies and lack of critical thinking to thoroughly examine the evidence from a non-dogmatic view. Since they believe in "X" they start with that belief and work backwards into the evidence that is confirmed by their bias. Don't get me wrong, I think we all do it to an extent. It's part of our hard-wired, evolved nature. However, much more often, I see non-theists open to rational / new ideas. 

It just gets really frustrating and really old dealing with the same apologetics that are rationalized to hold a belief. It's especially laborious for those of us who have come out of fundamentalism or some other type of belief system and recognize we were in that same place once as well. It is no different than banging your head against a brick wall, metaphorically speaking.

I will say this, as frustrating as it is, we atheists can do a better job of leaving emotion out of our discussions for the most part. Focus on the discussion not ad hominem remarks.
**Crickets** -- God

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Other forums you belong to... arewethereyet 9 827 June 8, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other forums just aren't the same Violet 18 1318 May 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Atheist Forums Accent Tag! Round 2 Napoléon 845 121725 October 1, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  What's the funniest trolling you have seen on these forums? Garth 18 3145 March 23, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Atheist and Christian Forums vulcanlogician 43 4661 January 4, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Dead atheist forums... erealmz 34 4663 November 16, 2017 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Sal
  Atheist Forums Recipe Book Shell B 44 8587 November 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Leaving Atheist Forums ScienceAf 16 3167 January 10, 2017 at 3:48 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Christmas at Atheist Forums Shell B 70 12105 October 31, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Other Forums you frequent? ignoramus 55 4199 July 23, 2016 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus