Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:13 am

Poll: Are you an atheist or anti-theist?
This poll is closed.
Atheist
66.67%
20 66.67%
Anti-theist
33.33%
10 33.33%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist vs Anti-theist
RE: Atheist vs Anti-theist
(July 13, 2015 at 3:05 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: You are being obtuse. If you focus on emotion in creating art it doesn't make it irrational to do so in the least. In fact, it makes it quite rational precisely because it informs and betters your artistic process.

You realize that feeling emotions is not a rational process, right?

Right?

... and you call me "obtuse"?

[Image: 121u0dj.jpg]

(July 13, 2015 at 4:26 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(July 13, 2015 at 3:05 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: You are being obtuse. If you focus on emotion in creating art it doesn't make it irrational to do so in the least. In fact, it makes it quite rational precisely because it informs and betters your artistic process.

You realize that feeling emotions is not a rational process, right?

Right?

... and you call me "obtuse"?

[Image: 121u0dj.jpg]

I realize no such thing. You are too much of a simpleton, clearly, if you believe emotions are 'irrational'.
Hey, name-calling as an argument online ... what an interesting new development.

Maybe when you can formulate a cogent line of reasoning to support your point, you'll get more attention from me. As of now, I'm not going to feed your complex.

Say, do you have any of your works online?

(July 14, 2015 at 10:53 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: Hey, name-calling as an argument online ... what an interesting new development.

Maybe when you can formulate a cogent line of reasoning to support your point, you'll get more attention from me.  As of now, I'm not going to feed your complex.

I think you know what I mean when I say that part of creating art is not irrational. This means to say, the fact that you allow it to influence your work is rational in itself.

Sorry for calling names, though. Sometimes I get frustrated when people are being to focused on only one part of the problem failing to see what the other might mean overall. It's hard to transmit clearly what you mean over the internet for it would take a very long time if when the person you talk to is bound on understanding everything in only one (subjective) way. Rather, you should try making sense of what the interlocutor really means by paying attention to context.

I haven't published online. I actually haven't written anything in a long time. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I hope you'll agree, given what I just said above.

I am curious as to what you have published though, since you brought it up.
I am not anti-theist simply because there are always layers to everything. I have seen humanistic theists who do their best to not let their beliefs affect the decisions they make here and now. They don't usher in apocalyptic ideas etc. I've also seen fundies who are the exact opposite. I was one myself at one time. I can deal with the former and but not with the latter.
**Crickets** -- God
(July 14, 2015 at 5:10 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote:
(July 14, 2015 at 10:53 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: Hey, name-calling as an argument online ... what an interesting new development.

Maybe when you can formulate a cogent line of reasoning to support your point, you'll get more attention from me.  As of now, I'm not going to feed your complex.

I think you know what I mean when I say that part of creating art is not irrational. This means to say, the fact that you allow it to influence your work is rational in itself.

Sorry for calling names, though. Sometimes I get frustrated when people are being to focused on only one part of the problem failing to see what the other might mean overall. It's hard to transmit clearly what you mean over the internet for it would take a very long time if when the person you talk to is bound on understanding everything in only one (subjective) way. Rather, you should try making sense of what the interlocutor really means by paying attention to context.

I haven't published online. I actually haven't written anything in a long time. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I hope you'll agree, given what I just said above.

I am curious as to what you have published though, since you brought it up.

Well, I ain't a published writer, meaning I don't make money doing it -- which may or may not be a critique on my skill, you can run with that as you see fit. I was talking about the creative act itself, though, not the career aspect of creativity. I'll drop a chapter from a book I wrote in the hide tag at the bottom of this post, though, so you can see that I'm not talking out my ass. I'll also link to an original composition/performance, and some other stuff I've done. I've never been published as a writer. I have gigged as a musician, and I won a small scholarship for art out of high school about 541 years ago.

In terms of this discussion, I'm not focused only on one thing, anyway.  I'm not saying art cannot use rationality -- of course it can, and moreover, should.  However, it should also make equal use of the irrational emotions in the moment, in my view, in order to give the piece its own stamp. I'm not saying art is completely irrational.  I'm saying art makes good use of the irrational at times.

In that sense, irrationality is useful, and doesn't poison the basket.  That was my point.

Each of those pieces had both rational and irrational bases. I find utility in the irrational in my creative endeavors. If you don't, I'd recommend you look into it, because it might help you get where you want to be in your art. Just a thought.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2111 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 433 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1941 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 1921 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18090 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3445 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11810 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 146092 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12563 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1096 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89