Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:29 am

Poll: What difference to you would proof of the resurrection make?
This poll is closed.
No difference. Life carries on as before.
46.67%
14 46.67%
It would make some difference.
23.33%
7 23.33%
It would make a lot of difference.
30.00%
9 30.00%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists: would proof of the resurrection matter to you?
RE: Atheists: would proof of the resurrection matter to you?
Thank you Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It could be a game changer. If it could be proven that he was truly dead (not just pseudo-dead) and all other similar instances could be proved as pseudo deaths. However, if a supernatural event has been proven to occur that merely takes it out of the supernatural category and puts it into the natural.
**Crickets** -- God
As an African, it would make no difference for me, because:
1. Jesus said he only came for the lost sheep of the house of Israel
2. Paul called himself the apostle to the gentiles. According to Genesis chapter 10, the gentiles are the descendants of Japheth. If you look at a map of the missionary journeys of Paul, you will see that he never goes into Africa.

Since I am neither Jew nor Gentile, the resurrection, proven or not, has nothing to do with me.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
I am of the opinion that if you see someone walking around who had been pronounced dead I would assume that the examining dr had made a mistake and not that there had been a miracle.

In the case of crucified people I doubt there was any medical examination, if they stopped moving they were dead.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Well as much as I hate to say it proof that Jesus actually resurrected in an impossible way would probably mean Christianity is right, or at least partially right.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

What would it mean? Not much. It would more likely indicate that your hypothetical evidence that it really happened is suspect.
(July 16, 2015 at 1:03 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I am of the opinion that if you see someone walking around who had been pronounced dead I would assume that the examining dr had made a mistake and not that there had been a miracle.

In the case of crucified people I doubt there was any medical examination, if they stopped moving they were dead.

And even then, they didn't take them down for burial.  That would defeat the whole purpose.  If the Romans just wanted to kill someone they did understand how to do it cheaply and effectively with a single sword thrust.

You don't have this shoved into your chest

[Image: Gladius_2.jpg]

and make any plans for the next day.
(July 16, 2015 at 1:18 pm)whateverist Wrote: What would it mean?  Not much.  It would more likely indicate that your hypothetical evidence that it really happened is suspect.
It would at least mean that it's possible to resurrect outside of scientifically verifiable scenarios. And probably that Christianity is true. The foundation of Christianity is that Jesus rose from the dead. If he did, then the case looks promising.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

This is a more interesting poll than all of the others I've seen so far. If it was proven that jesus was executed the way he did, and if no one but jesus has come back to life, after all of those days after being executed in that manner, then I'd say it would make some difference. As for, how I'd live my life, I'd say it would make practically no difference. If it was also proven that he was savior somehow, I'd say, it would still make no difference how I would live my life. The way the stupid religion is set up, you have to accept jesus as savior and be saved. You get to be forgiven for everything, if you simply repent. That means that I won't be changing my life one bit, but I'm already screwed, because I blasphemed against the holy spirit, so, no change at all. Blaspheme against jesus = forgiveness. Blaspheme against holy spirit = fucked. But, isn't this based on jesus being god and the holy spirit at the same time? But, if you make this rule about the holy spirit, doesn't that affect jesus and god too, because they are a 3 in 1 being? If you blaspheme against jesus, you are also blaspheming against the holy spirit, so based on this religion where anyone can be saved, actually no one that has said anything bad about any one in the trinity, can be saved. Very confusing and assholian for an omnibenelovent, omnipotent being..
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
(July 16, 2015 at 7:43 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(July 16, 2015 at 6:11 am)robvalue Wrote: Let's assume that somehow it was proved beyond reasonable doubt that there was a real, single historical person who Jesus was loosely based on, and that he really did come back to life after being dead for 3 days. What difference would this make to you, other than learning such a thing is possible?
[...]

Learning that it's possible to determine with any level of certainty, whether or not a human was dead for 3 days, 2000 years ago - well, that would be amazing. Yay, science!
Especially since we wouldn't have the actual body as evidence. He was supposed to have ascended to Heaven, so if we have a body, that ends the whole deal.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 9023 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2370 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1012 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4301 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  God, Energy and Matter Lek 323 23424 October 15, 2019 at 1:58 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3096 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11026 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2813 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4544 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6371 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok