Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:27 am

Poll: Do you believe in human rights?
This poll is closed.
Yes
57.14%
16 57.14%
No
42.86%
12 42.86%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Human Rights?
What Human Rights?
Do you believe in human rights? What do you include in these? What is it that gives anyone a right? 

Remember, I DON'T mean legal rights. I mean something more, in nature, whatever that is, that entitles (is that the word I want?) a person to enjoy certain benefits, and that as a right it is others' duty not to impose or negate that right.

If you do not believe a person has anything like a natural, universal right, then how does that affect your beliefs/actions IRL circumstances when the issue of so-called violations (of life, liberty, property, etc.) comes up?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
What Human Rights?
The only rights we have are the ones we give ourselves.
RE: What Human Rights?
Outside of legal rights, I guess it's like the golden rule. I want people to do nice things for me, so I do nice things for them. I don't want to be beat up, stolen from, and such. I know a version of this is in the bible, but it's not unique or original to it.

As much as we are a social species, we are also pretty self centered. People love power, and once they get it they'll fight to keep it. It's a hard, long road to equality, but equality is what we should strive for. Because we are all Humans, and should treat each other as such. Being at the top is awesome. Staying on top can be hard. When you fall down, it would be nice for someone to help lift you back up.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

We are born with one inalienable right.
The right to private thoughts.
These are ours and ours alone...

Everything else can and will be compromised if it suits another party.
We all believe in a lot more rights, doesn't mean we're gonna get 'em...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 16, 2015 at 6:48 am)Nestor Wrote: Do you believe in human rights? What do you include in these? What is it that gives anyone a right? 

Remember, I DON'T mean legal rights. I mean something more, in nature, whatever that is, that entitles (is that the word I want?) a person to enjoy certain benefits, and that as a right it is others' duty not to impose or negate that right.

If you do not believe a person has anything like a natural, universal right, then how does that affect your beliefs/actions IRL circumstances when the issue of so-called violations (of life, liberty, property, etc.) comes up?

Nothing entitles any human to anything, other than custom, legal structure, or the ability of the human to overcome obstacle and dismiss objections to taking it.
(July 16, 2015 at 8:24 am)Chuck Wrote: Nothing entitles any human to anything, other than custom, legal structure, or the ability of the human to overcome obstacle and dismiss objections to taking it.
It sounds to me like you're saying that you do not believe in human rights . . . But you voted Yes?

For example, the U.N.'s Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights states it thus: "Human rights are rights inherent to all human beings, whatever our nationality, place of residence, sex, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, language, or any other status. We are all equally entitled to our human rights without discrimination. These rights are all interrelated, interdependent and indivisible."

But you're saying that they're NOT inherent and ARE dependent on custom, legal structure, and brute force?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
The idea of inalienable human rights is inconsistent with modern atheism. Period.
I have the right to breathe.
I have the right to my own thoughts, without those thoughts being infringed upon by others.
I have the right to die. Which, will eventually happen. I just don't know where or when.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(July 16, 2015 at 8:51 am)ChadWooters Wrote: The idea of inalienable human rights is inconsistent with modern atheism. Period.

Care to further explain that?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Gonna whip it out again Chad, so soon?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legitimate women's rights issues Lemonvariable72 50 7292 October 30, 2015 at 7:01 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Why do Children not Have Human Rights? Koolay 58 12930 September 23, 2013 at 9:42 am
Last Post: genkaus