Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Oldest' Koran fragments found in Birmingham University
RE: 'Oldest' Koran fragments found in Birmingham University
(July 22, 2015 at 7:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They are too busy smacking spammers.  I'm sure you remember from your days on staff!

Yeah, but I guess I was more of a multi-tasker. I was able to smack spammers, hunt trolls and poes, and sweep the forums all at the same time. Tongue
(July 22, 2015 at 12:09 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Ooohh, something about Muslims in Birmingham. What a surprise.

Took the words out my mouth
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(July 22, 2015 at 7:53 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote:
(July 22, 2015 at 12:09 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Ooohh, something about Muslims in Birmingham. What a surprise.

Took the words out my mouth

Are you saying Fox News is right?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-30870062
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 22, 2015 at 8:15 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Are you saying Fox News is right?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-30870062

Yeah. Visit Bordesley Green.
I found this

[Image: Al-Hijrah-school.jpg]
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 22, 2015 at 4:34 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: All I know is that they're notorious for their lemon parties.....

"What's a lemon party? Lemme just goog... oh no... oh dear christ on a bike no."
(July 22, 2015 at 8:15 pm)Dystopia Wrote:
(July 22, 2015 at 7:53 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: Took the words out my mouth

Are you saying Fox News is right?

http://www.bbc.com/new/uk-england-birmingham-30870062

It is, I would share a link but seeing as I am on my phone google "UK Trojan horse schools". A whole load of them in birmingham were revealed to be ISIS training grounds, even sending money to Syria.

I've visited the city center a few times during my own visits to Birmingham university in the past and without any exaggeration whatsoever other than a few brief exchanges with shop assistants and the university i didn't have a single conversation in English. Not only that, half the signage was in Arabic, especially in the outskirts of the city center. I was even warned by some of the locals that as a white male I shouldn't visit several muslim areas at all or I'dbe attacked.

No joke. From what i gathered the suburbs are normal but the further you head in the more it is like a miniture caliphate with extremist salafist muslim stores openly advertising. I even spoted a neon sign no less saying there was no God but allah and all would submit to him.

Scary shit, don't get me wrong France has some problems with Muslim enclaves being no go to non muslims but nothing quite on that level.
It depends on the area of Birmingham.

The area I live in Muslims are basically mythical beings, they're such a rare sight. Go to where my Nan lives and she's the only Non-Muslim.

It's estimated around 1/4 of people in Birmingham are Muslim now, but they're very concentrated in particular wards. I only knew a few growing up tbh, one of my best friends in school came from a very westernised Iranian family who fled after Khomeini's counter-revolution.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(July 22, 2015 at 9:38 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: It depends on the area of Birmingham.

The area I live in Muslims are basically mythical beings, they're such a rare sight. Go to where my Nan lives and she's the only Non-Muslim.

It's estimated around 1/4 of people in Birmingham are Muslim now, but they're very concentrated in particular wards. I only knew a few growing up tbh, one of my best friends in school came from a very westernised Iranian family who fled after Khomeini's counter-revolution.

It does depend but pretty much all of the inner city wards are dominated by muslims. I've entered Birmingham from every side and one way or another you have to go through a wormhole to Pakistan to get to the city centre.
Yeah, the area up by Washwood Heath, Alum Rock (where my Nan lives) is vile. Alum Rock road has become a little better in recent years, but the area around it is still really sketchy.

The area I live in is pretty sketchy, but some of these inner city areas are so un-welcoming I wouldn't go there apart from to visit Nan. She hasn't the money to move out and I think she's too stubborn, she likes the memories of what the neighbourhood used to be too much. I think that's silly but she's stubborn.

- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Miami Establishes Chair for Study of Atheism c172 8 1826 May 21, 2016 at 2:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Links to Spirituality Found in the Brain fr0d0 28 9428 February 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: tavarish