Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Oldest' Koran fragments found in Birmingham University
RE: 'Oldest' Koran fragments found in Birmingham University
Quote:Allegedly, this was done (but never claimed) by some neo-nazi, ultra-conservative individual(s).
Even so muslims in Portugal seem to have gotten the message that we have some equally disturbed people living under the guise of "christian"...
Curiously, no such displays were reported from France, at the time...
Hey Poca, do not fear nazis - Nazism is really weak here particularly because it's a doctrine that classifies us as inferior whites, so only a moron would support it while being a native Portuguese - My only problem with the Lisbon mosque is the fact it is being funded by public entities which seems like an infringement on secularism. The first Muslims to immigrate to Portugal after 1974 were highly educated and secularized communities, some of them were doctors, engineers, architects - And we never condoned or participated in the war on terror, so right now portugal is one of the countries less susceptible to terrorist attacks according to various reports, and people are doing more tourism here than France, etc. I'm one of those douches who historically argues that arabs contributed little to our culture and history - And I won't hold myself about it - It's true - They helped with a few words and architecture but for the most part the influences of other tribes like the Visigoths and the Catholic religion and the Roman people are much stronger. The arab invasion shouldn't be taken as a high point in our history, but quite the opposite.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 23, 2015 at 10:18 am)Dystopia Wrote:
Quote:Allegedly, this was done (but never claimed) by some neo-nazi, ultra-conservative individual(s).
Even so muslims in Portugal seem to have gotten the message that we have some equally disturbed people living under the guise of "christian"...
Curiously, no such displays were reported from France, at the time...
Hey Poca, do not fear nazis - Nazism is really weak here particularly because it's a doctrine that classifies us as inferior whites, so only a moron would support it while being a native Portuguese - My only problem with the Lisbon mosque is the fact it is being funded by public entities which seems like an infringement on secularism. The first Muslims to immigrate to Portugal after 1974 were highly educated and secularized communities, some of them were doctors, engineers, architects - And we never condoned or participated in the war on terror, so right now portugal is one of the countries less susceptible to terrorist attacks according to various reports, and people are doing more tourism here than France, etc. I'm one of those douches who historically argues that arabs contributed little to our culture and history - And I won't hold myself about it - It's true - They helped with a few words and architecture but for the most part the influences of other tribes like the Visigoths and the Catholic religion and the Roman people are much stronger. The arab invasion shouldn't be taken as a high point in our history, but quite the opposite.

The way I was taught, the high point was when the muslims were kicked out for good.

Indeed, the arabs didn't contribute too much in Portugal... it was more the spanish side of the peninsula.
Legends say they liked the Algarve almost as much as the british do, today! Tongue
(July 23, 2015 at 4:39 am)pocaracas Wrote: Also, knowing the UK's history of hooliganism, I find it curious how peaceful coexistence with such muslim communities is maintained. It is a large country...

I'd say it isn't really as maintained as people think, or at least it isn't what I'd call peaceful. There's definitely growing opposition. For the most part people tolerate muslims out of fear of being labelled an Islamophobe, and because if anything actually kicked off it would probably be labelled as racism and hate crimes from the far right. The media in this country love doing that. There's plenty of right wing organisations that are fed up with muslims in this country, hell most of them were born out of what they see as the "Islamization" of the west. There's been pig's heads thrown at mosques and all other kinds of vandalism. I'm sure somewhere or another a group of white men in their 20's have probably beaten up or intimidated some brown Islamic people. Certainly the EDL like marching but I don't actually recall any acts of violence from them for all the criticism they receive.

But the thing that fucks me off is there's no criticising muslims in my country. Like I said, everything gets branded as islamophobia, or you're told the majority of muslims are "moderate" and it's the "extreme" muslim's fault when bad things happen. There's gangs of young muslims that go out and rape Sikh girls, and go out with the pure intention to convert them forcibly. There's book shops in Birmingham that are havens for all kinds of terrorist plottings. There's groups of muslims who go around in London and try to tell unsuspecting people that "this area is a Muslim area, sharia law is in place" and they threaten them with violence. There's multiple Islamic groups that incite hatred, that celebrate the deaths of innocent people like Lee Rigby (and are responsible for it in the first place), I mean how Anjem Choudary hasn't been done for hate crimes is beyond me. But you make a joke about the Glasgow bin lorry accident on twitter and you're arrested? Then there's the trojan horse scandal in schools in Birmingham where muslims were literally trying to take them over for their own ends, having illegal "islamic scholars" come in to give talks to students and influence them illegally.

But the politically correct media, especially the BBC, continues in its bullshit campaign to convince us that Islam is a wonderful thing, hell, they even try to make everyone feel guilty by saying "there's too much negativity surrounding Islam and it's unfair", so they're launching a brand new channel for muslims, like we needed another one.

As far as I'm concerned the kind of shit muslims have pulled in Britain far outweighs the few instances of vandalism or the occasional EDL march in opposition. But the media just LOVE to make out like it's oh so bad for muslims in this country. Like everyone else is vilifying them for no good reason.

It makes me fucking sick.
Political correctness is a two sided sword...
It gives muslims a place to stand... but also gives gays the same place, jews, trans, etc, etc, etc... all those other minorities that muslims also tend to want to silence.

About those "muslim area"s in London... do they have a permit to claim that from some authority? If not, then one can call the real authorities and have those idiots expelled or imprisoned, no? Or is that what they want?
(July 23, 2015 at 11:47 am)pocaracas Wrote: About those "muslim area"s in London... do they have a permit to claim that from some authority? If not, then one can call the real authorities and have those idiots expelled or imprisoned, no? Or is that what they want?

Well they're not doing it because they have any real authority. They're doing it because they're the scum of the earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcsG-u2GtZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6U6Hhy_2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjWaiOQfQw

If people wanna know what Islam is like in this country just watch some of these videos.
(July 23, 2015 at 11:34 am)Napoléon Wrote: For the most part people tolerate muslims out of fear of being labelled an Islamophobe, and because if anything actually kicked off it would probably be labelled as racism and hate crimes from the far right. The media in this country love doing that.

It makes me fucking sick.

Agreed.

From a (admittedly small) survey of British muslims earlier this year..

" Over a quarter of British Muslims have some sympathy for the motives behind theCharlie Hebdo massacre and almost half say they face discrimination because of their faith, a new poll suggests.

A ComRes poll for the BBC carried out between 26 January and 20 February asked 1,000 British Muslims questions about living in the UK after a spate of attacks in Europe.

Four-fifths (78 per cent) of respondents found it ‘deeply offensive’ when the Prophet Mohamed was depicted in images, while almost one third (32 per cent) of British Muslims were not surprised by January's attacks on the Charlie Hebdo magazine offices, where 12 people were killed."

Those 78% should not be offended by those who speak out or take offense with a cult organisation that, on the face of it, wants to see freedom of speech as a one way thing. Doesn't work that way.
So someone found old comic book fràgments, and? We found Tut's tomb but that didn't make the gods he believed in real.
I advise British people and the rest of Europe to be careful when it comes to cultural identity and integration - The truth is that, regardless of what liberals say all the time, if you happen to live in a country that has a tradition of free speech, tolerance and solidarity you ought to be damn proud of it. It is completely irrelevant that you didn't choose to be born in it, because you have ancestors that have fought again and again for your rights. There's differences between cultures that are basically irrelevant, like the fact some people don't celebrate Christmas or prefer to not work on saturday instead of sunday, or prefer long skirts to short skirts - Then there's differences that create incompatibility. Watering down native culture for the sake of integration is one of the biggest mistakes any government can make, and it shouldn't happen - It's not just because the other culture may have undesirable elements, but also because native British will feel terrible about seeing their culture being ignored and even insulted and this creates a feeling of antagonism and fuels the rise of extremist far-right parties. The EDL is a symptom of much larger issues despite some bad things they've done.

It's funny that hate speech only applies to some people - Shouldn't a Muslim, or a person with any religion at all (or lack of thereof), be prosecuted for hate speech as well if they're holding a sign saying "behead those who insult the prophet"? I mean, if I held a similar sign saying "burn pictures of Muhammad" can anyone guess what would happen to me? Vote wisely.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Miami Establishes Chair for Study of Atheism c172 8 1826 May 21, 2016 at 2:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Links to Spirituality Found in the Brain fr0d0 28 9426 February 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: tavarish