Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask an immigrant.
Ask an immigrant.
Last November I immigrated to the U.S from the UK.

Ask me about my experiences moving to / living in the land of the free.
RE: Ask an immigrant.
I hope you didn't burn your bridges.  This place is going down the shitter.
Aside from obvious stuff like which side of the road you drive on, what are some of the subtle differences you've noticed in day-to-day life between the U.S. and the U.K.?

And where in he U.S. do you reside?
How hard is it for you to understand those thick New England accents?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Do you come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun, where the hot springs blow?

What is the thing you miss the most from the UK?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
You forgot "home of the brave". In some circles that's considered a mandatory expulsion offense. HAH.

Was it a pain getting your belongings across the pond?

Had a chance to compare the health care differences? 

We do love us some fine consumerism. Any difference in the store types, availability, goods and services?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Why did you move the the U.S.? Is that working out for you as planned? Is the U.S. as you expected it to be?

Have you become a U.S. citizen?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Why are you taking away the jobs of MURRICANS?

Also, why have you abandoned Mother Brittannia for her bastard child nation? Tongue
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(August 18, 2015 at 11:51 am)Minimalist Wrote: I hope you didn't burn your bridges.  This place is going down the shitter.

The tories are taking all the worst aspects of america and importing them over here.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(August 18, 2015 at 1:03 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 11:51 am)Minimalist Wrote: I hope you didn't burn your bridges.  This place is going down the shitter.

The tories are taking all the worst aspects of america and importing them over here.

Horrific, senseless mass shootings, strip malls, aggressively proud anti-intellectualism, obese people sharing their ass cracks in Walmart, creationists, and mega-churches?

I weep for the U.K.