Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To spank or not to spank?
RE: To spank or not to spank?
Meh.  Whatever floats your boat.

[Image: eae5351b0ce83c985d96e5bd20c091ed.jpg]
(September 20, 2015 at 10:48 am)KUSA Wrote:
(September 20, 2015 at 1:50 am)Losty Wrote: I consider it to be child abuse.

There is a big difference between spanking a child and abusing them. A big difference.

If you say so. I disagree.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
A common sentiment in my high school was we'd all prefer spankings/beatings to being grounded, loss of allowance or losing car privileges.

Cool
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I feel uncomfortable with with spanking for a few reasons

1 I don't like the idea of "do what I say or I'll hit you". I want my children to be able to question things.

2. It's too close to my favorite pastime. It grosses me out to have my kink associated with child rearing.
What the heck is hot sauce punishment/? Wait, no, dint tell me.

I don't spank or hit in any way. All of that kind of punishment is damaging, and it fails at stopping the behavior you want stopped too. I did not read the whole thread, but there are many studies showing positive reinforcement and other styles work better than negative reinforcement.

We reward for good behavior, and withdraw from bad (send to room, remove things like screen time) as punishment.

I just can't see violence to a child being a good answer.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(September 20, 2015 at 10:50 am)Rhythm Wrote: The difference between a red asscheeck and stitches.  That wasn't so hard, now was it?

So, if I beat you but you don't bleed, we're good?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 20, 2015 at 10:50 am)Rhythm Wrote: The difference between a red asscheeck and stitches.  That wasn't so hard, now was it?

So it's the degree of bodily harm that decides that? I don't agree.
@Brian. Depends on what the alternative would be, but sure - I can be a cartoon if you'd like, I'll hold up the straw a little longer if you want to take a few swings at it. Yet another service I provide.

@Neimen. It's certainly one of the ways a difference can be determined...I'm sure we can add to the list, if we bang our heads together. Is tap-boxing with my son is "abusing" him? Seems to me the difference between that and actually boxing his ears in might be the difference between abuse and play. But what do I know....lol. I'd call degree of bodily harm step number 1 on the "am I abusing my child" quicklist. Personally, I haven't had to go much further than step 1...but my little heathens have it pretty good. Others may need further metrics.

You know...I got switched, belted and backhanded as a child/young adult. Maybe some of yall did too. Wasn't good, wasn't fun.....happened plenty of times where stern words would suffice. Decided not to be that guy, so..while your fevered minds might imagine good ole yours truly getting a running headstart and windmilling his kid with a closed fist, palming a lead weight, when I say the word "spanking".....I probably don't. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Is mental abuse a thing in your metric?

That's a serious question by the way, because if you account for mental abuse then clearly the degree of physical injury the child sustains cannot be the only indicator of abuse and the argument could be made that the mentality enforced with spanking contributes to its place on the "abuse" side of things.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I think spanking only works on some children anyway. Parents can hit some children and they'll learn their lesson from it immediately, while on others it does nothing but cause resentment and worse behaviour.

In my own family I saw that difference. Me and my younger brother are actually very parallel to two of my cousins (also brothers) in that Me and the older cousin had always been generally better behaved while the younger brothers, who both have quite bad ADHD while we don't, only became worse after being hit. I think a child has to already have that innate feeling of their parents' authority for smacking to work. If they don't already respect authority and/or have underlying behaviour problems, it's not going to help.

I don't agree with it for any child though, because child psychologists have come up with far more effective (and universal, working for all types of children) non-violent forms of discipline that produce better results.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  to spank or not to spank and the existence of god Mystical 19 2753 July 31, 2014 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Violet